support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • All posts re: Fake (counterfeit) saxophones and scams are now in their own subforum here:

Fakes and Scams

Beginner Sax Too soon to buy a vintage horn or carry on with YAS23

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
For me the intonation/pitch problems on older saxes with modern mouthpieces shows up when I'm playing with other guys and when playing loud and pushing the sax. When I'm playing at home on my own it's ok. Modern mouthpieces vs old style mouthpieces on "vintage" horns" is a subject that is often discussed . Some players think it's ok, other says no, no, no ... .

I have some older American saxes. The reason I bought them was beacause I could get them for a low price. I could get 10 "vintage horns" for the same money that I could buy a Selmer Mk VI tenor. Goldplated horns, rare horns, baris, C sopranos, C tenors .... . Today the prices are higher. If your saxophone is working tool for you and your playing is paying the bills then get a Selmer, Yani, Yam or any other prof sax. The Yam "student" saxes are good. I'm playing a YTS 25. Just one thing that I don't like about Yamaha saxes. I think they are to be too bright.

saxendd

Locality
United Kingdom
Try as many more as you can and if the Beuscher still feels right go for it :)

If you love your sax you are much more likely to keep playing

Jx

@LadySax also wonders about the feel of the matter to the op.....and I've learnt some stuff for my future buying intentions. Looking forward to reading as the tale unfolds.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
For me the intonation/pitch problems on older saxes with modern mouthpieces shows up when I'm playing with other guys and when playing loud and pushing the sax. When I'm playing at home on my own it's ok. Modern mouthpieces vs old style mouthpieces on "vintage" horns" is a subject that is often discussed . Some players think it's ok, other says no, no, no ... .

I have some older American saxes. The reason I bought them was beacause I could get them for a low price. I could get 10 "vintage horns" for the same money that I could buy a Selmer Mk VI tenor. Goldplated horns, rare horns, baris, C sopranos, C tenors .... . Today the prices are higher. If your saxophone is working tool for you and your playing is paying the bills then get a Selmer, Yani, Yam or any other prof sax. The Yam "student" saxes are good. I'm playing a YTS 25. Just one thing that I don't like about Yamaha saxes. I think they are to be too bright.

or maybe ".. a little to bright".

Andante cantabile

From the posts we've seen, it seems prices are higher in Oz than Europe and the USA. This seems to confirm it.

This is not necessarily the case. It seems to hold for baritones and, to a lesser extent, for tenors. The main reason is that shipping rates to Australia can be very high, partly because it is very difficult to pack a tenor in such a way that it meets Australia Post dimension limits. But the problem is not insurmountable.

The case is different for altos, for two main reasons. Because they are generally the cheapest saxophones on the market (always relatively speaking), they benefit greatly from the Australian rule for a GST (VAT) exemption if they are valued at less than AUD1000. Many vintage saxophones fall within this price range. Second, for about two or three years, until about two years ago, the Australian Dollar was at parity with or higher than the US Dollar. This led to a considerable increase in imports of saxophones and mouthpieces from the US. Some of these are now on the market. The currency situation is now much in favour of the US buyer, and some Americans find it attractive to re-import saxophones from Australia.

Prices in Australia of new Yamahas and Yanagisawas are now at a level where importing them privately is rarely attractive. I don't know about other brands.

That said, the new situation has not caught up with all Australian sellers of second-hand gear, and much stuff remains unsold at listed prices.

iamacup

Locality
Canberra Australia
Well tonight is the lesson with my teacher, and I have the True Tone for the lesson we will see what he says about it.
I completely agree Andante, the second hand saxophone market in Australia seems to be pretty stagnant, with prices being high compared to the international market. I also shudder to think about the postage costs to get a bari or a tenor posted over from the US or UK. I did have a look through the UK Gumtree and found an equivalent True tone, also silver plated and in similar condition, actually from 1926 with the front F and more modern key layout, it was listed at 400GBP, this is about $800 give or take a $ or three. Having my folks still in the UK makes for an interesting thought process.

I have spoken with the owner of the 22 and it has been confirmed that the price she is willing to accept has come down significantly. This may also make a difference, it may not.

Regards,

Cup

Last edited:
Top Bottom