PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones To Fix or Buy Cheap Tenor Saxophone?

TripleB

I've got a Bundy II tenor saxophone that I've had since 1978. It's been sitting for at least 23 years. I checked into getting all the pads replaced, a couple dents repaired, and an overall thorough cleaning and it's going to cost $450+.

Upon a closer look at it and trying to clean it I found 2 pads that had fallen off, many dents/scratches I had forgotten about, and some 'corrosion' looking stuff on and around one of the pads.

Saxophone.jpg

I will only be playing around the home for my family and for my enjoyment.

My question is should I pay over $450 to get this one back into shape or just purchase a cheap brand new model (under $350) since I won't be going professional. Maybe a Crystalcello, Mendini, Maxam, Anaxa, etc.

Also, would it be dangerous to my health to play with the pictured saxophone?

Thanks for any help.

TripleB

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the bundy have any sentimental value? If not you could always sell on eBay (usually someone looking for a DIY project) and put the proceeds towards a new playable one.

I would not bother, sell it for spares and buy a good cheap horn, e.g. an Academy Jericho. It will be streets ahead.

There's usually an ad for one in these pages, just click on the ad for info.

Does the bundy have any sentimental value?

I learned how to play on that Bundy II, I spent 7 years with it, some of my best high school memories came while in band using that saxophone.....but no, I honestly don't have any sentimental value to it...I'd rather have new!

an Academy Jericho. It will be streets ahead.

There's usually an ad for one in these pages, just click on the ad for info.

Do you know if the Academy Jericho is available in the US? I'm having a hard time finding it and when I do it isn't being sold in dollar$.

Thanks for the input so far.

TripleB

A modern cheap saxophone from Taiwan will amaze you how much things have moved on. They play better and are better built than the same grade stuff from 30 years ago. I have my old alto in a case in the back bedroom. It's battered, dented and scratched. I bought a cheap Taiwanese alto to use while I refitted it. It's not going to happen. I'll not part with the old thing, too many memories and associations, but this new alto has facilitated me playing better. Go try a few and see what you think.

A modern cheap saxophone from Taiwan will amaze you how much things have moved on. I'll not part with the old thing, too many memories and associations...Go try a few and see what you think.

Is there a brand you would recommend?

Even though I want to purchase a new one I'd probably want to hold onto my old one. Could part with it but for the little amount I'd get for it I'd just as soon hang onto it.

Thanks for the input.

TripleB

Do you know if the Academy Jericho is available in the US? I'm having a hard time finding it and when I do it isn't being sold in dollar$.

It's available by mail order, so can be shipped there. You would just pay in pounds and the credit card co or PayPal do the dollar conversion form your account. I don't know of any US imported Chinese instruments as good as this one.

It's available by mail order, so can be shipped there. You would just pay in pounds and the credit card co or PayPal do the dollar conversion form your account. I don't know of any US imported Chinese instruments as good as this one.

to find it just click on the music store link at the top of the page, then click on saxophones. I'm not selling them in the store, that's just a page of recommended saxes, and currently it's the only one I've had time to include. It's definitely the best deal I know of.

As general opinion, I wouldnt try to fix it yourself of pay the 450 usd. Even some pros are using cheap saxes now, my first Chinese alto is still going strong and listening to some old recordings I made I have to say it sounds pretty good.

As general opinion, I wouldnt try to fix it yourself of pay the 450 usd. Even some pros are using cheap saxes now, my first Chinese alto is still going strong and listening to some old recordings I made I have to say it sounds pretty good.

Do you mind me asking what model it is?

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Right now my plan is to take it to my local Music Center and just ask them for a quote on the cost to get it back into playing condition (and to get rid of that stuff in the picture). Once I hear their price that will probably determine whether to get it fixed or buy new.

TripleB

Do you mind me asking what model it is?

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Right now my plan is to take it to my local Music Center and just ask them for a quote on the cost to get it back into playing condition (and to get rid of that stuff in the picture). Once I hear their price that will probably determine whether to get it fixed or buy new.

TripleB

Your heart clearly wants this old sax to work

But from where we're sitting it seems your head should take control, keep the old sax as an ornament and purchase a shiny new working model that'll give you years of use (then, if I have my sums right you'll have TWO saxes!)

Good luck

Ivan

Your heart clearly wants this old sax to work

But from where we're sitting it seems your head should take control, keep the old sax as an ornament and purchase a shiny new working model that'll give you years of use (then, if I have my sums right you'll have TWO saxes!)

Good luck

Ivan

To be honest I would prefer to buy a new one...but the way money is right now I can only afford around $350 and I've been told I can't get too good of quality for that price...so if I can get this one in playing order for say $100 or so I think it will hold me until I can afford to get a better new one.

Thanks for the input.

TripleB

I took my tenor saxophone to my local Music Center and told them I wanted to get my 33 year old tenor sax back into playing condition. He (a saxophone player himself) took a look at it, checked out every part of it, and every pad on it. Said that it looks like there are only four pads that need to be replace, he could put the two pads that fell out back on, and clean up the green crud on the picture above (although he said there would still be some pits in the metal where the crude ate into it).

I said, "So how much is this going to cost me?" He said, "Well to get it back into playing condition, it's going to be around $45." I couldn't hold in my excitement!!! I said, "Is that it?" He said, "Well, let me take another look at it." And then he smiled.

I was expecting at least $90 to $100...loving the fact that I can start playing my tenor again for under $50!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for everyone's help and patience here. I think with the extra $50 I'm going to order me a new neck strap, music stand, reeds, cork grease, and maybe a new mouthpiece if I could find one pretty cheap.

TripleB