support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Thought my love had gone

miss-saxophone

Locality
Maldon, Essex UK
I went off playing sax for a few days, my love had all but disappeared for playing... But I had enough motivation to play it today and I sound better than before! Just thought I'd let you guys know as I haven't really been on the site much in the past few days.

Having a little break can do your playing a power of good I've found it's as if it gives your brain time to sort out what you've been doing and discard the wrong bits and keep the right bits,funny stuff this grey matter....john :w00t:

Fickle.....

Dedication is what's needed. Along with a practice schedule...

Am just about to go and do my second hour today while the food cooks...

I went off playing sax for a few days, my love had all but disappeared for playing... But I had enough motivation to play it today and I sound better than before! Just thought I'd let you guys know as I haven't really been on the site much in the past few days.

I know how you feel, I have a real love hate relationship with my sax, though I do try and pick it up 6 days a week. My first tutor recommended a day off which I think is a good idea.

Keep at it you will have lots of set backs and lots of breakthroughs, it makes it all the more interesting.
;}

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:

It's good that's your motivation is back. I haven't touched my sax for over 14 days! For two weeks ago I cut myself with a small kniv when I split mushrooms. I thought that I would go to hospital for some stiches. Friday evening and who wants to sit and wait for a doctor! Not me, so I used some strips on the cut. Yesterday I tried to play sax. It really hurt when i pushed the A key. I guess I've to take break for another week or so! We are going to have workshops 24/3-25/3 so I must be better soon! I'm really motivated to start to play my sax again.

Thomas

Hi :)
glad to hear your motivation has returned, sometimes a break can do you good. At the moment I have a sore throat and cough so am not able to play :( its driving me mad, trying to read lots of theory but it isnt as much fun as playing.
Enjoy playing when you are having fun, don't force it though if your not in the mood, I reckon learning the saxophone is like riding a roller coaster!
Jo x

...and here was me thinking you were writing a 12 bar blues:

I woke up this morning and thought my love was gawn,
yes, I woke up this morning and thought my love was gawn,
But when I looked out the window,
I found he was mowin' the lawn.

The standard form, as in:
The first line of the blues is always sung a second time,
yeah, the first line of the blues is always sung a second time,
That's so when you get to the third line,
You've had time to think of a rhyme!

(With thanks to Lloyd Webber and Richard Stilgoe).

YC

Goes back to the 'holler' days... Something and reply - I forget the first term, shout? call? I know my music history. Though, perhaps a little rusty. Did you know Louis Armstrong was the first scat singer? Hmmm... Obvious to you lot I reckon, lol.

Call and response. Certainly in field hollers in the slave days, but the origins are earlier, possibly religious chants and even a reference back to C14th sailors' worksong.

There are recorded examples of (what became called) scat singing before Armstrong's Heebie Jeebies in 1926 and it may be a bit unlikely that he dropped the lead sheet with the words on it, but it was him who first used and developed wordless singing and phrasing in exactly the same way as he would have done on his instrument.

Having a little break can do your playing a power of good I've found it's as if it gives your brain time to sort out what you've been doing and discard the wrong bits and keep the right bits,funny stuff this grey matter....john :w00t:

Ditto
Allansto