support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Think my sax teacher has abbandoned me after just 1 lesson :(

Lol ok i will let you all know my little secrete...just think STARWARS when you hear the root note....and its as easy as that...STARWARS!!!

Luke :)
It's not a secret Luke...... http://www.earmaster.com/intervalsongs/

A friend of mine used to teach and his students booked,and paid for, blocks of lessons in advance. If a student missed a lesson that was their loss. Jim.
I don't think i would last long with him

I'm now intrigued as to what people think is reasonable as a lesson fee?
I would say £20 hour is a good wage

I'm now intrigued as to what people think is reasonable as a lesson fee?
As always with this kind of question, it depends...

FWIW, I'm paying £35 an hour, which I consider very reasonable. But my teacher (http://www.mikehall.co.uk/index.html) is head of jazz studies at RNCM with a huge amount of both teaching and playing experience and that kind of expertise doesn't come cheap. I only go 4 or 5 times a year and always come away with plenty to work on over the next few months. If you haven't done that much music before you might want more frequent lessons and then cost would be a more significant issue.

If you were a teacher, with no other income other than students - what price would you think reasonable and fair to put on your time, your knowledge, and your energy? Would it be worth your while to 'give up the day job'?

Mellow D

I wouldn't give you tuppence for my saxophone teaching, but I've met people who play even worse than me who charge for lessons, so you do have to be a bit careful.

If I were teaching maths on the other hand, which I do know something about, I don't think I'd bother for less than £30/hour.

As always with this kind of question, it depends...

FWIW, I'm paying £35 an hour, which I consider very reasonable. But my teacher (http://www.mikehall.co.uk/index.html) is head of jazz studies at RNCM with a huge amount of both teaching and playing experience and that kind of expertise doesn't come cheap. I only go 4 or 5 times a year and always come away with plenty to work on over the next few months. If you haven't done that much music before you might want more frequent lessons and then cost would be a more significant issue.

I'm in agreement with this. This person deserves to be compensated for the amount of time and knowledge (and expense themselves) to get to this level and be able to teach you what you need to know. If you want something good, how come you would expect to pay peanuts to get it? Even if you are financially restricted, if something is important to you enough, you always find a way to make it happen. I know in the past I've exchanged either goods or a different service for the expertise I've had on offer for people, provided they have something I want - the old fashioned exchange system that was there before money.

I tend to consider what would this person be earning if they were in a normal job, and if they no longer do that job in order to be available for students to come along and learn, they deserve to be compensated on at least a livable level minimum. Why should a teacher charge less, then have to spend time with far more students per day than is healthy for the students learning, in order to make a living wage when the rest of us wouldn't do it?

Then again, I'm possible only saying whats been said before somewhere else on the forum.

I wouldn't give you tuppence for my saxophone teaching, but I've met people who play even worse than me who charge for lessons, so you do have to be a bit careful.

Again, I agree which is why I did some phoning around to talk to the teachers about where I'm at prior to booking anything. Now I can only hope that I've chosen to go with the right one. If it doesn't feel right after 4-5 lessons, I won't be afraid to move on and find someone else.

This thread reminds me why I do not like to give private tuitions any more.

If you miss a flight, are you expecting to get the next plane for free?
We all have our personal problems, and sometimes it is nice to be reasonable, but if you book a lesson and you don't make it, you are wasting the teacher's time. That time is worth the teacher's rate.

Some (mostly adult) students wanted to learn a song on the first lesson. "Good, you have to be patient and do some exercise first". They cancel few lessons, and in one month they were still like day 1.

I don't teach only for the money (I charge more than quoted around this thread): I want some satisfaction from my work.

About the rate... I know teachers that are good and teachers that are not. You decide where to spend your money.

Edit: I missed Big Martin post. This is another option: you pay more for fewer lessons. It is up to you to practice and develop. A good teacher can give you material for months of practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a clarinet lesson once back in the day.

Can't see the point of lessons. Here's the sax, here's the book add a few cd's. Consult the forum if you're stuck. Sorted.

Now a Master class that's a different matter. And how much is a master class worth? Priceless.

Anybody who can play really well and is willing to critique us average players and give pointers, guidance and insight is a saint in my book.

I couldn't teach beginners. My poor ears
not_listening.gif

A skilled teacher, who is also a skilled musician is worth more than a plumber in my book. And think of all the overheads like headache pills etc
coffee.gif

I would say £20 hour is a good wage

Well, maybe it's OK (although when you work it out not much more than the national average). But you need to think of it as gross takings, not net profit. If the teacher also needs to add in paying tax, their own keeping up to date training, insurance, training materials, accountants fees and any other overheads it doesn't go all that far. I think of these things by analogy with our window cleaner. He charges £13 a house, and can do 20 a day, So you think that, allowing for 4 weeks a year holiday, that works out at over sixty grand a year. But then he's got to pay tax, pay for his van, his insurance, his accountant, new ladders every couple of years, other associated consumables, diesel, etc. And then, if he's ill he earns nothing. So I think £20 an hour is quite nice as a bit of extra cash if you've got another job to pay the bills, but its a very precarious existnce if that's all you've got as a self employed person.

I know the guy's sorted now but another option would be to sign up to some on line lessons via Skype with someone like Tim Price, always liked what he does..