support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

There are bands that aren't worth it

Just googling entrain:old:

Entrainment, within the study of chronobiology, occurs when rhythmic physiological or behavioral events match their period to that of an environmental oscillation. A common example is the entrainment of circadian rhythms to the daily light–dark cycle, which ultimately is determined by the Earth's rotation.

I'm no wiser:confused:

I did that a few years ago---it's way too much work to lug around the sound system, write arrangements, and keep track of the finances. I like bands where I walk in with my case, take the sax out and play, and put it away and go home.

Tell me about it!
I ran a 17 piece big band for years, and then a jazz quintet as well as numerous 'pit bands'. Talk about 'paying your dues'.
When I gave it all up and joined a covers band, it was like lifting the weight of the Earth off my shoulders.
Turn up, tune up, play, get paid, sod off.

Unfortunately it was soon discovered that I was rather picky about the sort of pubs we'd frequent after the sound check - so I'd make the effort to check out the best ones near the venue (typically with the best food on offer).
This rapidly became my 'job', shortly followed by organising the overnight accomodation.

It's probably typical behaviour for a repairer...that sense of 'Ohh, you don't wanna do it like that! Here...let me have a go..."

Entrainment, within the study of chronobiology, occurs when rhythmic physiological or behavioral events match their period to that of an environmental oscillation. A common example is the entrainment of circadian rhythms to the daily light–dark cycle, which ultimately is determined by the Earth's rotation.

How about "in the groove"? I think it's saying when everyone is in synch. It's known to happen with athletes such as rowing teams - their heart rhythms synchronise

If it's any consolation @Stephen Howard I think I have a flashing neon sign over my head that I can't see which says "organiser/committee person/chairman - apply within"... If I join something I end up being part of the organisation...

So last Sunday I went from being non-specific committee person for orchestra to orchestra administrator...

I usually get suckered into becoming the treasurer (must have an honest face).
So far a football team (for about 5 years), a cricket club (for 25 years) and for a trades union local branch (for about 2 years).
Got rid of them all eventually, now I just turn up and pay my subs.

You should have googled a bit more.
entrain
(ɪnˈtreɪn)
vb
(Railways) to board or put aboard a train
enˈtrainment n
entrain
(ɪnˈtreɪn)
vb (tr)
1. (Chemistry) (of a liquid or gas) to carry along (drops of liquid, bubbles, etc), as in certain distillations
2. (Civil Engineering) to disperse (air bubbles) through concrete in order to increase its resistance to frost
3. (Zoology) zoology to adjust (an internal rhythm of an organism) so that it synchronizes with an external cycle, such as that of light and dark

So I suppose I have become "entrained" to the practice on the Cafe of members going off on some silly tangent that has nothing whatsoever to do with the original topic. I have become synchronized to this occurrence so that I no longer give a whit---sometimes even taking part in the frivolity myself.

@tenorviol ..... I tried to get all philosophic and technical and use a fancy word. That'll larn me.

In the groove is the usual phrase. To quote 6 tgiem Grammy winner Vic Wooten "Never lose the groove to find a note"

@Colin the Bear try googling entrain and music.. see what comes up

@tenorviol ..... I tried to get all philosophic and technical and use a fancy word. That'll larn me.

In the groove is the usual phrase. To quote 6 tgiem Grammy winner Vic Wooten "Never lose the groove to find a note"

@Colin the Bear try googling entrain and music.. see what comes up
:) happens to me all the time round here...

@
entrain
(ɪnˈtreɪn)
vb
I don't see in your list the meaning I learned at school

That's where gas or liquid streaming through an appropriately designed orifice will generate a pressure drop which tugs at gas or liquid entering through a side port.The pressure drop pulls gas or liquid into the stream (entrains) according to the Bernouille Principle

I imagine a nebuliser powered by e.g. oxygen entrains using that principle

I don't imagine stage smoke generators work that way

Last edited:
@

I don't see in your list the meaning I learned at school

I imagine a nebuliser powered by e.g. oxygen entrains using that principle

I don't imagine stage smoke generators work that way

And I'm imagining a romantic train journey through France and in to Italy......

Each to their own :)

Jx

Poppycock shurely?

It is quite easy to entrain ones heart rate with ones breathing. Some people claim it brings all sorts of benefits. I used to be able to do it before I got a pacemaker. Using a simple pulse monitor one can see that the heartbeat rate changes to match the breathing rate, not vice versa. So I'm not surprised that top rowers can match heart rates.

Last edited: