• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones The Way Too Early 2027 Saxophone Symposium Thread

In my crystal ball I see you passed out in a hotel lobby with sharpie face paint
Been there, done that.

...
Yeah, the festivities within that venue usually kick off upon my arrival Friday morning for whisky breakfast, but it would appear there may be a pre-party event Thursday before I get there which @Martysax will sanction accordingly. When it really gets going in the lobby is after the Concert Band performance Friday night. We hold court.
I look forward to a Thursday hang. Friday too. Maybe Saturday will be a thing... Sunday I will rest, or maybe not, which is why I booked my hotel through Monday AM.
 
I look forward to a Thursday hang. Friday too. Maybe Saturday will be a thing...
Saturday night after the Jazz Band show is optimistic for a hang... at least from past experience. Saturday will be the busiest day on campus with a full schedule of events that'll have you running from one place to another. We do get together for the break after the afternoon session before that aforementioned jazz show... at a place we always forget... across the street. After that it's usually time to crash. But Friday Happy hour (also after the now more prominent Friday afternoon session before the Concert Band show) we meet up at Oh George, a trendy craft brew/artisan pizza place, also across the street. We sit at the bar.

It's all gonna be good though, and we'll have a great time. Just don't go in the vendor room Saturday afternoon. Get that done Friday afternoon and/or Saturday morning. And who knows. Maybe Mrs. Grumps will come along and I'll sort of behave. Sort of. She's a Symposium regular too.
 
FWIW I sent a email to the event coordinator asking for a vendor list.

The reply.
I hope all is well. I am the vendor manager for the Saxophone symposium. To help answer your question, "What vendors will be at the symposium?" I do not have confirmation until mid November. Typically, we have Yamaha, Selmer, Vandoren and large music stores in the DC area attend. Is there a particular one you are looking for?

I replied back with a short list.
The reply email…..Music Medic was here once. I don’t know these other companies 🤦‍♂️
 
Symposium weather fluctuates. Forgot if it was last year or the year before, but it rained the entire day Saturday. Once we got snow... and thankfully that was when there was a hotel on campus. Usually though, it's rather mild in Fairfax for the event. A couple have been in the 60's and 70's. Like Spring.
Been to more than one adventure that required the room trash bin with a clean bag liner. Ice from the lobby. Kind of like car camping. Improvise and focus on enjoying the company.
Oh, this is gonna be fun. In my crystal ball I see you passed out in a hotel lobby with sharpie face paint.
Been there, done that.
Somehow I’ve managed to avoid the event. Although I can openly admit I’ve been “Screeched-In”.
I look forward to a Thursday hang. Friday too. Maybe Saturday will be a thing...
looking forward to seeing my friend again. @Grumps @Martysax , can you please stock some Ginger beer for Steve.
Sunday I will rest, or maybe not, which is why I booked my hotel through Monday AM.
Would be nice to have Sunday breakfast with all survivors attending. Checkout is 12:00. That leaves me two hours to make 20 miles to airport for pre three hours check in…..seven hours of rest to arrive Sunday evening in LA @ 8PM.
I plan on taking Monday off😁
 
It's all gonna be good though, and we'll have a great time.
I’m banking on it 😄
Just don't go in the vendor room Saturday afternoon. Get that done Friday afternoon and/or Saturday morning.
I’m counting on you to be my tour guide….ALL ACTIVITIES 😃. Including food and refreshments.
And who knows. Maybe Mrs. Grumps will come along and I'll sort of behave. Sort of. She's a Symposium regular too.
Girls in the clubhouse ? Does Ma Grumps have qualifications ? Like the ability to order food for those in need ? Checkbook or Bankcard assistance processing if required…. Maybe just for decorative arts like lamps.
Shipping skills ?
Persononal skills like…. cleanup to remove BBQ drippings from silk shirts ?
You behave 😂😂😂😂

I look forward to meeting Ma Grumps regardless. 😊
 
She's able to laugh at most of our **** and tolerate the rest. Good girl she is.
Ok, thanks for confirming durability and character…. Still asking the clubhouse is polite. Well, at least here in Sol Calif and racing events. Guys can box it out on the tarmac and come in laughing. Girls (women) in the pits (clubhouse) fights are common. Worse since Go-Pro cameras. IE; Your dude did a XYZ inside pass on my BF….brawl is next, and it gets really ugly….
Honestly I had very little doubts on/of Ma Grumps refined character.
I distinctly remember Mr Grumps stating “I’ll never marry again” years ago. I was happy years later to see them married 😊.
I look forward to “Girls in the Clubhouse” and a pint or sixty with you 🤪🍻🥃🍺🍹🍷🍸🍶☕️.
 
I’m counting on you to be my tour guide….ALL ACTIVITIES 😃. Including food and refreshments.
We start from the garage wherein all points intersect. Though I'll drop by the vendor room, you won't find me camped out there other than to pick up a box of tenor reeds and maybe giving a couple horns a go. Probably first thing we do Friday afternoon when we arrive unless there's something else going on (like someone we know giving a talk or performance). After that you'll mostly find me in the Harris Theatre, which in my view is the best performance venue on site outside of the main concert hall. You'll find me near the back taking it all in, and they usually showcase more interesting acts. Some performances take place in band rooms.... and they can fill up... and there's no cushy seats. I actually avoid them unless it's a specific act we want to catch. And that's the thing. At the hotel, it will be filled with saxophonists from all over the country. We often make friends and then crash their performances accordingly. You drink with us. You hang with us. We will support you.

But as for food and refreshment, just remember... Lunch is for wimps.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,272
Messages
576,410
Members
8,087
Latest member
Verenice
Back
Top Bottom