All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

The nuances of Whisky appreciation and Saxophone playing!

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
I will drink any whisky if it is bought me usually at Christmas and on birthdays but I favour the Islay brands my favourite being Bowmore but I have also tried the Aldi and Lidl offerings and been impressed by both.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Locality
Hampshire
I like smoky peat number as a finisher for the evening. One is enough for me as a treat.

I probably lean more towards a nice white wine, Bourbon or sherry finish for an everyday. I recently finished a bottle of Benromach, which I've had for Years. It's on the must get another list.

Bladnoch, Springbank other faves. And recently got into a bottle of Glendronach 12, which is delicious.

So many more to try..what I lack in Mouthpiece gas I make up for in Malt envy..

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
And Aldi's Islay @ £17.99 is a bargain. A good school day whisky. Arbeg Corryvrechan is my favourite though.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
Locality
Breda
I'm not (now) a whisky drinker at all but Ralfy Mitchell is definitely my kind of reviewer! I loved his style and the way he described the 'ever more discerning' journey. I suspect that this 'journey' could be equally applied to connoisseurs of wines, beers, cheeses, olive oils, pizzas, etc.

I once used to enjoy the occasional duty-free Glenmorangie and especially Laphroaig but for me, whisky never really caught on long-term. I preferred wine. I even started too learn more about it. So most of my occasional 'discerning taste' education has been with wine. But after a while, even wine became just a 'good/cheap enough' commodity.

My only long-term 'ever more discerning journeys' have been in photography and and playing sax. I do sometimes envy people who are motivated to follow 'ever more discerning journeys' in food and drinks. But I just don't have the interest or motivation.

Mike

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Locality
Hampshire
I suspect that this 'journey' could be equally applied to connoisseurs of wines, beers, cheeses, olive oils, pizzas, etc.

Indeed, or even, as was my intention for the thread, it could be applied to the Sax Journey itself, or appreciation of more complex or 'sophisticated' music, whatever genre that might be. I'm quite happy though for the thread to lead it's own journey :cheers:

Is the Sun over the Yardarm yet..?

Hammie 1982

Locality
Ireland, Kildare Area
As an irish man, im partial to an odd tipple of whiskey, however.......

Irish Whiskey for the majority is just awful..... its even spelt wrong.
If it was a choice between Jamesons best and a bottle of single cask Jack Daniels id take the JD to be honest.
Dont get me started on the tripe that comes out of Northern Ireland (my original home land) that they dare to call whisky

Im a big fan of the Glens of Scotland tho (its where my heart belongs to be honest)
Glenfiddich
Glenmorangie
Glenlivet
Glenfarclas
:oops:etc.

Now ill name a few I would recommend to anyone that likes to try something new occasionally

Highland Park Viking Pride 18 year old ........ Distilled in the orkney Isle as far as i remember its the northern most distillery in Scotland by about a mile

Arberlour (Double Cask matured) 16 year old, often overlooked and under rated badly over the years in my opinion

Macallan 25 year old <<< Speaks for itself and needs no introduction in my opinion

Craigellachie 33 year old small batch <<< Speaks for itself and needs no introductions either - Slighly oilier and heavier than most others in the region as its got more sulfur content than alot of others. (Surprisingly tho zero artificial colours)

Talisker 18 year old, another peaty favourite from the isle of Skye

im leaving out loads here, but i could probably bore you all to death for hours and find that you all fell asleep hours ago and didnt get further than this in reading about Whisky

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Locality
Hampshire
As an irish man, im partial to an odd tipple of whiskey, however.......

Irish Whiskey for the majority is just awful..... its even spelt wrong.
If it was a choice between Jamesons best and a bottle of single cask Jack Daniels id take the JD to be honest.
Dont get me started on the tripe that comes out of Northern Ireland (my original home land) that they dare to call whisky

Im a big fan of the Glens of Scotland tho (its where my heart belongs to be honest)
Glenfiddich
Glenmorangie
Glenlivet
Glenfarclas
:oops:etc.

Now ill name a few I would recommend to anyone that likes to try something new occasionally

Highland Park Viking Pride 18 year old ........ Distilled in the orkney Isle as far as i remember its the northern most distillery in Scotland by about a mile

Arberlour (Double Cask matured) 16 year old, often overlooked and under rated badly over the years in my opinion

Macallan 25 year old <<< Speaks for itself and needs no introduction in my opinion

Craigellachie 33 year old small batch <<< Speaks for itself and needs no introductions either - Slighly oilier and heavier than most others in the region as its got more sulfur content than alot of others. (Surprisingly tho zero artificial colours)

Talisker 18 year old, another peaty favourite from the isle of Skye

im leaving out loads here, but i could probably bore you all to death for hours and find that you all fell asleep hours ago and didnt get further than this in reading about Whisky

Very nice, though some of those are some way out of my price point. I'm happy to stick with £40 or £50 quid a few times a Year. But enjoy the more expensive stuff if that's your bag.

Hammie 1982

Locality
Ireland, Kildare Area
Very nice, though some of those are some way out of my price point. I'm happy to stick with £40 or £50 quid a few times a Year. But enjoy the more expensive stuff if that's your bag.
they would be a rare treat....

but when you get the chance to enjoy 1 of the treat bottles, you make it last as long as you can hah

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I was never a whisky drinker until we toured this distillery.
15917180576365351070741177340385.jpg

They make a nice beer too :)

Jx

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I've followed Ralfy Mitchell's Youtube blog. Ralfy's a bit of a character and cult figure on the Whisky scene
Thanks

Have now watched a few. His back catalogue is immense

Great fun and informative. Well worth seeing if you're curious about whisky

Wonko

Locality
Belgium
I started getting into Whisky (and bit of whiskey, but not so much, as yet) about 7 or 8 Years ago. Since buying my first bottle of Single Malt I've followed Ralfy Mitchell's Youtube blog. Ralfy's a bit of a character and cult figure on the Whisky scene and he's always got something to say. He's a bit of a Home spun Philosopher as well and prone to going off on tangents.. Over the past few Years he's adapted his style to review a Whisky (or other quality spirit) once a week (828 so far, and counting), followed by an 'Extras' vlog which is loosely based on Whisky but allows him to go off on a bit of a tangent. Always entertaining and something to learn!
I've been looking at some of his video's, and indeed, it's very interesting. I've learnt a bit more about whiskey from the few I have watched so far.
Interesting fellow....
Thanks for the tip!

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
As I have said before I like my single malts, however just bought a bottle of Haig Club Orange because someone recommended it, didn't think it would be for me but I really like it, anyone else tried it?

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
A few years ago when we visited the distillery we fell in love with one of the Tullibardine whiskeys. Just found this one on offer in Sainsbury's. Very nice!

16351459787496915893612454222150.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom