support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures The new "Universal" ligature

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Introducing the new “Universal” ligature from Wyvern Ligs.

More control, power and projection is within your grasp.

Combining the best of the “soft” ligatures and the “hard” ligatures gives you unimaginable flexibility. You can go from the laid back mellowness of Ben Webster to the screaming altissimo of Michael Brecker in the wink of an eye.

These revolutionary ligatures are made from the wood of the tree Quercus Suber to give a beautiful warm sound which is combined with a special gold plated steel (as used in the Space Shuttle) to give power and projection. Each ligature will be hand-finished and given a unique serial number traceable back to the highly trained technician that assembled the ligature.

Another feature is the unique “Power Screw” that allows you to vary the tension and thus the nature of the sound to a very precise degree.

The universally adjustable nature of the ligature means it will fit virtually all mouthpieces on the market today.

The “Universal” is expected to retail at £89.99.

Virtuoso saxophone star Shorn Rider says of the “Universal”:

Wow, man. Wow. As soon as I blew a note I was transported to the forests of Spain where these trees grow but underlying that sound was this solid, modern, technology driven core. Man, this lig has everything. Just, wow!

Please note the photo below is only of the prototype. The ligature will be gold plated for added warmth and projection.

These sound clips clearly demonstrate the difference between a standard soft fabric ligature, a hard metal one and the new “Universal”.

Last edited by a moderator:
didn't they discuss using hose clamps on SOTW about 5 years ago?
Alas you won't be able to patent your device since it's a only a new use for an existing product. A royalty will therefore be payable to L. Robinson & Co (Gillingham) Ltd

but does it give you more emotion?

I suggest adding a le freque to that effect and perhaps ask Ishimori if they can fashion one of their screws ( one needs getting a good ishimori screw when possible!) to replace the one you use!

didn't they discuss using hose clamps on SOTW about 5 years ago?
Alas you won't be able to patent your device since it's a only a new use for an existing product. A royalty will therefore be payable to L. Robinson & Co (Gillingham) Ltd

well, hose clamps or this last one a gold plated U-bolt saddle and wing nuts, are being discussed all the time, obviously some folks out there ( and I am not talking of Nick here!) have no sense of the ridiculousness of their “ inventions”.

s624645820890939457_p2_i1_w1280.jpeg

I think if you used Biodegradable Plastic for the 'new' lig, it would be a step in the right direction, also creating a feel good factor knowing one is doing a little bit for the environment. You could have them turning to mush after 90 days, that way players will need to buy them on a regular basis.:)