All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs The new "Universal" ligature

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Introducing the new “Universal” ligature from Wyvern Ligs.

More control, power and projection is within your grasp.

Combining the best of the “soft” ligatures and the “hard” ligatures gives you unimaginable flexibility. You can go from the laid back mellowness of Ben Webster to the screaming altissimo of Michael Brecker in the wink of an eye.

These revolutionary ligatures are made from the wood of the tree Quercus Suber to give a beautiful warm sound which is combined with a special gold plated steel (as used in the Space Shuttle) to give power and projection. Each ligature will be hand-finished and given a unique serial number traceable back to the highly trained technician that assembled the ligature.

Another feature is the unique “Power Screw” that allows you to vary the tension and thus the nature of the sound to a very precise degree.

The universally adjustable nature of the ligature means it will fit virtually all mouthpieces on the market today.

The “Universal” is expected to retail at £89.99.

Virtuoso saxophone star Shorn Rider says of the “Universal”:

Wow, man. Wow. As soon as I blew a note I was transported to the forests of Spain where these trees grow but underlying that sound was this solid, modern, technology driven core. Man, this lig has everything. Just, wow!

Please note the photo below is only of the prototype. The ligature will be gold plated for added warmth and projection.

These sound clips clearly demonstrate the difference between a standard soft fabric ligature, a hard metal one and the new “Universal”.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Are they ex stock or special order? Similar marketing to Claude Lakey.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Brilliant Nick, I actually tied a piece of ribbon round my mpce last night, it played ok but not tight enough to keep it in place.

Jx

Ads

Locality
North West UK
you have to use offical "Hello Kitty" pink ribbon from Claire's accessories and make sure the bow is on top of the mouthpiece Jeanette .......

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
you have to use offical "Hello Kitty" pink ribbon from Claire's accessories and make sure the bow is on top of the mouthpiece Jeanette .......

Damn I used green, thought about yellow and oak trees :)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Nice one Nick. But it's not the wood, but the bark of Quercus suber.
>:)
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree? :rofl:

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Damn I used green, thought about yellow and oak trees :)

Ahhhhhhhhh, that`s where you went wrong - if the piece doesn`t look like Jemima Puddleduck after the reed is on then it`s a no go ...........

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Ahhhhhhhhh, that`s where you went wrong - if the piece doesn`t look like Jemima Puddleduck after the reed is on then it`s a no go ...........

Thought it was all about the way I tied the bow and the length of the bit left dangling:cool:

Reactions: Ads

Fraser Jarvis

Wow that looks great, think the galv finish looks better than silver or gold, looking forward to the passaround!

altissimo

Locality
leicester
didn't they discuss using hose clamps on SOTW about 5 years ago?
Alas you won't be able to patent your device since it's a only a new use for an existing product. A royalty will therefore be payable to L. Robinson & Co (Gillingham) Ltd

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
but does it give you more emotion?

I suggest adding a le freque to that effect and perhaps ask Ishimori if they can fashion one of their screws ( one needs getting a good ishimori screw when possible!) to replace the one you use!

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
didn't they discuss using hose clamps on SOTW about 5 years ago?
Alas you won't be able to patent your device since it's a only a new use for an existing product. A royalty will therefore be payable to L. Robinson & Co (Gillingham) Ltd

well, hose clamps or this last one a gold plated U-bolt saddle and wing nuts, are being discussed all the time, obviously some folks out there ( and I am not talking of Nick here!) have no sense of the ridiculousness of their “ inventions”.

s624645820890939457_p2_i1_w1280.jpeg

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Blimey!

but does it give you more emotion?

I suggest adding a le freque to that effect and perhaps ask Ishimori if they can fashion one of their screws ( one needs getting a good ishimori screw when possible!) to replace the one you use!

Rats! Forgot about the feel good factor. :)

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
I think if you used Biodegradable Plastic for the 'new' lig, it would be a step in the right direction, also creating a feel good factor knowing one is doing a little bit for the environment. You could have them turning to mush after 90 days, that way players will need to buy them on a regular basis.:)

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom