support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds The “FiberCarbon Onyx” Fiberreed

Frnic

Locality
Florida
I started playing saxophone 60 years ago, and then after about 10 years I took a little break for about 50 years...

I started up again a couple days ago when I brandy new Jean Paul AS400 arrived. My embouchure is none existent, my lungs aren't happy about 45 years of smoking. But, what the heck, might as well give it a shot, I really enjoyed playing the sax.

At this point (two days in) I am just playing long tones and doing embouchure exercises until I can come close to hitting the note I am aiming at.

I have been having a bit of fun trying to get low Bb and C to start smoothly/cleanly. I am using a Yamaha 4c mouth piece and rico 2.5 reeds. They are not bad, considering my bottom lip resembles whipped cream trying to put "firm" pressure on the reed.

Today I received a new reed I thought I would try - the "“FiberCarbon Onyx” Fiberreed" (link below). Hmm, how should I characterize it? ... hmm, how about WOW!

It is an expensive reed for sure - with shipping it was $28 - for one reed! But, man oh man, if you are a beginner like me, this reed is amazing. Extremely easy to blow. Running down the C major scale - all the notes sang out clean and smooth - all the way to low Bb and it even didn't hesitate. I was shocked. Seriously, I tied it Bb and C a few more times and it was smooth as silk every time.

On the top end, the last couple notes were a little tight, it played, but they were trying to screech!. Through out the rest of the registers it was a pleasure to play.

I am still too new (again) to talk about tone yet. For me it was acceptable - clear and smooth, but who knows what it will sound like when I embouchure firms up.

From the reviews I have read this reed should last a year or more. If that is true, then while it may be expensive up front, over a year it could easily pay for itself.

I will try to post a video comparing it to my Rico's in the next few days if I can figure out how to get my condenser mic running.

As a general rule, a softer reed will probably make it easier to play the bottom notes, but harder to play the top notes.

As a general rule, a softer reed will probably make it easier to play the bottom notes, but harder to play the top notes.

Right, I got there Medium Soft which I think is suppose to be around a 2.5. With the RicoThe top end is smooth and easy but the bottom is a problem. So that would imply their Medium Soft is closer to 2.0. I my try a Medium and see how that works.

Thanks

It's great that you found a reed that works so well for you while you get your embouchure back. It may still be your reed of choice after that as well.

Synthetics generally cost about the same as a box of cane and last, as you said, about a year. Personally, a box of reeds also lasts me about a year so for me, cost wise, it's about the same. But the important thing is this reed works for you.

Interesting! Have you tried other synthetic reeds, like Legère or Bari?

Not yet, I have only been playing again for a couple days - lol... But I am sure I will, I am a bit of a gear head.

I had one of the Harry Hartmann carbon fibre reeds about 10 years ago - it was very responsive and easier to play than a cane reed, but you do have to be careful not to damage the tip

Speak for yourself! :old:
I have just averted my eyes while an attractive tenor sax walked past. :(

(Though I couldn't resist a curvy soprano.)
:clapping:

Yeah, I can wait for 6 months to a year, once I start playing notes instead of noise, then I will start to hear the call of either a Bari or a Tenor!

Good thing polygamy is legal with saxophones.

Back
Top Bottom