support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tenor trying to start the engine.

navarro

Hi all, I purchased a tenor several months ago and put it aside until I could find a window in which to practice. No comments please on I hope yo don`t fall out etc.

First question? The mouthpiece I am using is an Otto Link Metal .Super Tone Master. Quite frankly I just can not get on with it.

Any suggestions as to what might be best for me. Bear in mind I am a total beginner reference the tenor (Alto player at the moment.) I` m thinking ebonite in the student price range. I would like some advice on reeds likewise.

Tenor is a Borgani pre jubilee model.

Regards and thanks. N.

Hi all, I purchased a tenor several months ago and put it aside until I could find a window in which to practice. No comments please on I hope yo don`t fall out etc.

First question? The mouthpiece I am using is an Otto Link Metal .Super Tone Master. Quite frankly I just can not get on with it.

Any suggestions as to what might be best for me. Bear in mind I am a total beginner reference the tenor (Alto player at the moment.) I` m thinking ebonite in the student price range. I would like some advice on reeds likewise.

Tenor is a Borgani pre jubilee model.

Regards and thanks. N.

What are you using on alto? How wide's the tip on each? Reeds? What can't you get on with? Is it a new or an old STM?

First guess would be to get a similar peice to your alto one. But remember the tenor generally uses more air, less pressure and a looser embouchure then alto. Could be you just need to get used to this.

The Bari Esprit is a doddle to play and peanuts to buy. I've just been through this process myself.

I've tried a Rico Metalite M7. High baffle, very bright. Maybe later.

The Bari Esprit. Very easy to play, very cheap. Acceptable tone but not brilliant.

Selmer S80C*. A marmite mouthpiece. I liked it. Nice rich tone and easy to play. Expensive new. £50ish SH

I had a hankering for a vintage piece cos them's the songs I play, so tried a Selmer Airflow Hard Rubber in a C*. Nice tone easy to play. Pricey and rare.

I've settled on a bargain vintage Lelandais. I only put a small bid in and won it with the idea of selling it on but it suits me down to the ground.

You won't go wrong with the Bari. Only one lay. I used a Vandoren classic blue 2.5. I use the same in a 2 on alto, to give you a frame of reference.

http://www.ackermanmusic.co.uk/bari..._content=8069702&utm_campaign=google_shopping

well - "Otto Link Metal .Super Tone Master" might well be a nice mouthpiece.
What's the tip opening ?? (something like "6" or "8*" stamped on the shank near the table)

-a-

Its a 7* and it's old (probably late 80s): sorry if I stepped in, it was my mouthpiece and it played well for me.

It really depends whether you like metal pieces or not, at the moment I'm only playing ebonite pieces... just my preference.

Navarro, I have a couple of Brilhart Ebolins in good shape, quite close (I think one is a 4 and the other a 5), let me know if you'd like to try, send me your address via PM and I'll send you, if you like it you pay me if you don't just send it back. At least they'll give you something else to compare to.

The other suggestions also sound good (not sure about the RIco Metalite... loud but not terribly refined IMO!).
Forgot to mention that (if you haven't tried already) also different reed strengths make a big difference....

Let me know,
M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otto link 7* comes out at 105 tip

Brilhart Ebolin 4 and 5 come in at 77 and 80 tip

If that helps.

I wouldn't recommend the Rico metalite although I'm sure with it's distinctive sound it has it's uses.

The link may be fine when you get used to the transition from alto to tenor. A cheap student mouthpiece may get you going.

It's a decision only you can make.

Selmer S80C*. A marmite mouthpiece. I liked it. Nice rich tone and easy to play. Expensive new. £50ish SH

I have this mic on my Yani Tenor and I really like the deep smooth tone it gives.
I've been using Vandoren Original 2 with it, but recently I've been having a problem with the reed 'sticking' about an hour into playing (same is happening on my alto with a Yam 4C mpc). Littleplum has suggested I try a harder reed for a while and see if that makes a difference.

I also use a Rico Metalite 5 with Rico Jazz 2 reeds, and the sound is louder and brighter. I haven't played it much though, so I'm still working up my air and length of playing, so the reeds so far appear to be ok.

The C* S80 is quite a close tip at 0.071"/1.8mm. The Rico 5 is listed at 0.095"/ 2.41mm.
http://www.saxophon-service.de/homep/mundverg/vergl-ts.html

The Yam 4 for alto is listed at 0.063"/1.60mm which is at the close end of the scale.
http://www.saxophon-service.de/homep/mundverg/vergl-as.html

I'm not sure what you mean by the reed sticking. If it's closing off and stopping it may well be that a harder reed is indicated for the smaller tip mouthpieces.

The guide is a wider tip needs a softer reed.

It sounds like your embouchure is coming along nicely and you need to adjust your equipment to suit. If you're having lessons and have the benefit of experience in the room with you, it would seem to be prudent to follow the advice you're paying for.

I use a reed clipper. When a reed goes soft a little trim giving it a new edge can not only revitalise a dead reed but take it up the strength scale in smaller increments than the manufacturer supplies.

Just to be contrary, I'm going to prescribe
* a tin of Rico orange-box strength 2
* a fortnight of long-tones, high and low, soft and loud
your otto-link 7* isn't really THAT extreme an opening, I'd call it kinda average on tenor
Some crazy guys play 10s and 12s tip openings on their Links. I play 8 = 110 thou Link and 105 thou Berg Larsen.
your embouchure will adapt quite quickly.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom