support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Synthetic reeds

zannie

Locality
East Mids
I want to give them a go. I am a diehard Vandoren V16 2.5 player. What sort should I try and which strength? Vandoren 2.5 is like a 3 in other normal reeds

I want to give them a go. I am a diehard Vandoren V16 2.5 player. What sort should I try and which strength? Vandoren 2.5 is like a 3 in other normal reeds
I haven't tried many but Hinoki was my favourite.

Legere have a reed strength comparison chart on their site. They work very well for me. Hve been using them for a number of years on all 4 saxes

Follow this link Strength Charts

I tried a 2.5 legere Signature, it sounded far to bright for my liking. It now resides somewhere in a deep dark corner of my sax case while I,m back to my usual Vandoren V16 2.5 ‘s

I suspect that Signatures may be facing curve sensitive. On my tenor my PPT Hooligan with 3 Signatures can go from ear ripping bright to moderately dark. The widest tonal palette of any Mpce/Reed combo I have tried. Aonmy alto which is a regular PPTit goes from bright to moderately dark. Both depend on how much bottom lip (and likely other subtle things I am not aware of) I am using.

Fiberreed Carbon Onyx is my new favored reed for my soprano. I use a Dukoff D7, refined and modified by Joe Giardullo. Before trying the Fiberreed I used D'Addario Jazz Select 3S, I feel the Fiberreed Carbon Onyx "Medium" is the equivalent strength. The Fiberreed is very responsive throughout the whole horn, the problem tones (middle C and C#) improved. The combination of the very bright Dukoff with the trending-to-dark Fiberreed Carbon Onyx produces a very interesting sound.

Manfred

After much frustration with cane reeds in Australia, possibly due to humidity. I have reverted back to Legere signature 2.5 tenor reeds. They play immediately (I always leave the reed on the mouthpiece) and are incredibly consistent. And to boot they sound to me superior to La Voz, RJS, vandorens on my particular setup. I do prefer a reed with a touch of brightness and power though. Oh and if after a while they go slightly soft, wack em in the freezer for a night and they go back to their original state, this way they can last over a year.

Was using Vandoren Blue 2.5 for many years and someone gave me a Legere with no number on(sorry) which I have successfully been using for the last 4 months. Very happy with it.

I was getting good life and tone from Fibracells on my tenor from strengths of 2.5 to 4. ..until recently when I've had a couple of stuffy examples. Slightly improved by a very light sand on parts of the top surface (the bottom is plastic-coated); then I thoroughly wash it afterwards to flush away any composite fibres. Not sure yet whether I'll go for another Fibracell...

AVOID FIBRACELLS!!! They have a large batch of stuffy reeds out there that are unplayable. I've recently sourced from several different sellers and most were unplayable. I'd used them for more than 10 years and suddenly they have crapped out. The company doesn't stand behind them, won't exchange, or offer money back, they refuse to accept that there's a problem. AVOID unless you like throwing your $$ away.

I like Legere Signature reeds on tenor and bari. I have not yet found a synthetic that allows me to produce my concept of sound on the alto, but I am still searching. My teacher really likes the Legere Signature European Cut reeds for his jazz clarinet playing.

Back
Top Bottom