• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Switching from alto to tenor

Teachers and violence; takes me back to schooldays, the happiest days of your life.
One word out of place and you got beaten on the hand with a split ruler.
The teachers were vicious sadistic thugs.
Secondary school was worse.
Wow this really takes me back! firstly junior school, we had a new teacher start Mr Dunbar (not worried about naming names as he's dead now) everyone was always in fear of the bearded Mr Dunbar, anyway on this particular occasion me and another lad (who I still kind of know in adult life) got into trouble, cant even remember what for now, anyway we were made to stand stock still in the school foyea for what seemed like an eternity most of the morning anyway, then just before lunch that bastard Dunbar came and made us both hold out our hands flat facing upward and told us he was going to punch our hands as hard as he could...with the clear warning if either of us move our hands we would get another! anyway I went first got the punch which really hurt but I didn't cry (we were only nine) then the other lad had his go but moved his hand and got second helpings for his trouble! I seem to remember my back aching more than anything which hurt more from all that standing!

The next "attack" was high school in PE if you got into trouble these two PE teachers would make you bend over a bench then take turns in kicking your a** as hard as they could, it became quite evident after leaving school that these two were obviously homosexuals enjoying a bit of sadistic fun!
 
Was just as bad in my day. However I got to know Lee Thomson (Madness) when him and Mike Barson (keyboards) set up North London Invaders.....which subsequently became - MADNESS!!!!

Halcyon days - but the cane hurt!
 
It's a small world. After a masterclass session at sax.co.uk this week, my teacher and I had a curry with Steve Turner and some of his students. Steve does sax duties with Sugs and both he and my teacher play in Lee Thompson's SKA orchestra. A very good evening all round. I found some clips of them on YouTube afterwards.

Perhaps we'll get the call to do some dep duties, now we're so well connected. Not this week obviously.......:w00t:
 
I was a quiet teacher. I used to just fall asleep on those hot days in a stuffy classroom. The funny thing is the student playing there clarinet would just wait in silence until I awoke from my brief slumber.

Just as well you weren't teaching beginner saxophone. All those piercing screeches would have woken you up thinking someone was being murdered 😀
 
How nice! This world is getting smaller thanks to the saxophone! Lee's band are playing on the 13th May in Putney. Can't make it myself but you would enjoy them I'm sure. I know Lee uses sax.co.uk as I have read over the years about his lost sax. I haven't seen him for years but am looking forward to catching up!
 
Just as well you weren't teaching beginner saxophone. All those piercing screeches would have woken you up thinking someone was being murdered 😀

The chalumeau register is very soothing, in fact now that i think about it, my Ex-wife used to fall asleep if I was practicing in the same room. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. Perhaps I could have offered my services to all those long suffering husbands out there. LOL
 
Hi Saxdiva - yes! 16th in Putney not the 13th!!!! Darn! If I could have made it I would have bought you a nice glass of wine! Still...enjoy yourself, you will have a great night. I am now extremely envious!
 
That would have been lovely! Perhaps we will meet at a Dawkes event at some point. I'm keen to go up there. Sam was so helpful when mouthpiece GAS overcame me. I love to look around and I think I could identify every sax at sax.co.uk blindfold as I go there so often. I must just remember to leave all cash, cards and anything that could be bartered with at home!
 
Alto has been my main sax for years, but during the lockdown I dug out my tenor just for something to relieve the boredom. It’s in good condition - no leaks, and quite enjoyable to play, however I am struggling with low Bb, B and C. They sound OK if I descend to them from above, but if I try to start on any of them I get the octave, sometimes a warbling octave. Is this just a matter of learning a new embouchure?
 
Warbling may indicate that the mouthpiece position needs adjusting. You're trying to play one note and the horn wants to play another.

The thing to remember is that the tenor is not a big alto. Looser embouchure is needed and just as much practice.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,074
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom