Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Sweet-sounding 'Ballad' alto mpc?

TomMapfumo

Unless you live in Spain;}

Ed would certainly be an option - good bloke! But PhilTone is still cheaper including P&P. Ponzol HR still best handmade bargain IMO.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

OP
R

Rogerb

Buying the wrong (lower-priced) gear is definitely not 'cheaper'!

And it's one of those situations where one man's meat is definitely not digestible for all!

We can only do 'Suggest you try...'
And thanks for your various suggestions.

I am going to try the Mpc Cafe NY, next, and will report my findings.... :)

Chris98

I am going to try the Mpc Cafe NY, next, and will report my findings.... :)
Hi Roger,

I'll be very interested to hear what you make of this new mouthpiece once it arrives, you've got a wait of about 4 weeks I seem to remember reading.

I'm still tempted but not ready to jump just yet.

All the best,

Chris

OP
R

Rogerb

Hopefully, only about 2 weeks, now, Chris :)

I had a long chat on Skype with the very pleasant guy who actually makes them(Richard). He said how important customer satisfaction is to them(especially as they are 'getting known') and that if I don't get on with it they'll willingly take it back.....of course that would not be cheap from here, but less than trying to sell it, probably!

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I just tried a Brancher wooden alto mouthpiece and was very impressed (I almost bought it) Definitely worth a try.

EDIT, although I would think the HR is more likely to stay in good shape.

TomMapfumo

I tried both the Brancher HR and also a Lebayle Jazz HR on Tenor and both had a pleasing tone - may also be worth looking at for Alto. I preferred the Lebayle overall and it would suit ballads very well also.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Chris98

Hi Roger,

I'm hoping you've had enough time to form an opinion on your new mouthpiece, I'd love to know what you make of it.

All the best,

Chris

half diminished

I don't know why Jody recommends a harder reed with the DV...it certainly didn't work for me. It's a lovely mpc, and a lot better now that....on teacher's advice... I have removed the thick rubber pad....it has a very tough thin transparent one anyway and I think the rubber one 'gets in the way'.
But it's just a tiny bit 'raucous' for the 'sweet ballad sound' I'd like to attain.....(at a time when it appears so many are looking for a bright, cutting sound!)

My latest 'best combination' seems to be the DV with Superial DC #2.5 reeds....these (expensive) reeds do seem nice, but I find they do need the recommended 'breaking-in period'.
Persevere with it matey. I just love the DV NY and I only use the ultra thin plastic pad that comes with the mp. It's lasting well though I looked at the cost of replacements from JJ and the shipping cost is $30! Still when my step daughter goes to live in the US later this month I will get her to send me some. I've not found any as thin over here.

I use the Marca Jazz 3 reed which either 'play out of the box' or need breaking in a lot. I have also started using a little bit of dutch reed to fine tune the reed as I am still struggling a little with the higher upper register (mainly E throug F#). Sometimes the sound is a little thin up there.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I am liking my new LAW BUZZER Alto 8 mp,had it about a month now and am still loving it.Very versitle and can be great on ballad's but also do the Sanborn sound also.I am a tenor man at heart but been enjoying a new lease of life playing the alto again with it.

OP
R

Rogerb

Hi Roger,

I'm hoping you've had enough time to form an opinion on your new mouthpiece, I'd love to know what you make of it.

All the best,

Chris
It's very nice, Chris...not hugely different from the DV when I play it, just a bit 'warmer', I think.

Too soon still for a definitive opinion.

Chris98

It's very nice, Chris...not hugely different from the DV when I play it, just a bit 'warmer', I think.

Too soon still for a definitive opinion.
Hello Roger,

Great to hear that you're enjoying it.

Umm... Should you ever decide it's not for you... ;}

All the best,

Chris

Phil

Commercial Café Supporter
Thanks for mentioning my work here. There are a number of good choices to consider. (BTW I do ship internationally). Also, soloists are very nice. Something with a medium chamber...somewhere between a Link and a Meyer can be very versatile and cover a lot of musical situations.

OP
R

Rogerb

Hello Roger,

Great to hear that you're enjoying it.

Umm... Should you ever decide it's not for you... ;}

All the best,

Chris
No danger..at the moment, Chris :)

I'm using a Hahn #2 reed with it and really like that too......the Hartmann Fiberreed MS has proved a bit too hard (shame when they are SO expensive)...maybe a bit of sanding..... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom