support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Squeaky top G (again) driving me mad.

Lloyd

Locality
Hertfordshire
I've posted something about this before and I thought that I'd cracked it, but I've just had a practise session for over an hour and that darned top G is at it again. Only on the tenor, the alto is fine. I really have tried pretty much every embouchure combination possible; relaxing the jaw, tightening the grip, standing on one leg etc. I know that it is probably me, but is it just possible that it may be anything to do with the reed/mouthpiece set up (Yamaha 5C and Rico 2.5s)? I rotate 4 reeds at any one time and replace any that seem dodgy. Would a softer or harder reed possibly help or maybe a mouthpiece with a different lay? I am quite happy with the rest of my playing but this is really getting to be a pain. Any advice would be gratefully received.

You may recall I too suffered on occassion with the same problem. A few weeks on and after a lot of practice - long notes etc and a stronger embouchure the problem has gone completely.

Just bear with it and keep practicing.

when you mean top G do you mean altissimo G or G2 (the G that sits above the top line of the stave?

The G that sits on the top line of the stave.

May sound silly, but you are not hitting or resting your left hand onto the side D key by chance?

May sound silly, but you are not hitting or resting your left hand onto the side D key by chance?

I did think about that but, sadly, no. I have just had another session and it was a little better with a different reed, but it still happened ocassionally.

The G that sits on the top line of the stave.

My problem has definitely disappeared with no change to mp or reed - just practice. I think Griff in a previous thread suggested this was what I needed - he was right. Practice, practice, practice......

This problem has gone :welldone so many remain......>:)

Is this squeaky G thing catching? I've noticed i've been getting it over the last few weeks. There must be something in the air, like yet another mouthpiece/reed combi review:(

Soak your reeds in Gin before using, suck dry and play, if you still squeak repeat process, if after soaking the reed for more than 10 times, you should be at a point where you don't really care if your reed squeaks.

Soak your reeds in Gin before using, suck dry and play, if you still squeak repeat process, if after soaking the reed for more than 10 times, you should be at a point where you don't really care if your reed squeaks.

I did that too, even used Baritone reeds for greater liquid absorption ratio! :p But I turned to synthetic reeds and sobered up... :confused: