All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Spotted a GRAFTON for sale !!

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Grafton Sniffing ........ Nahhhhhhhhh. couldn`t afford to let alone drugs :eek:

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
this has some of the usual issues but is complete
1. Nice to see you back here!
2. That seems like a sort of decent price except that mostly these are for collectors so the defects say no. I'd play mine live if it wasn't for the fact it would get trashed. Collectors want uncracked Grafton.

I bought mine for I think about £1500, but it is in great nick and no cracks so I'd say that is collectible. But I have to say though as I did want to play it in the studio, I had it fettled by @Stephen Howard (he won't do that again).

He put on better pads, the originals are horrible to play so maybe is not such a collectible. Except I think I may still have the original pads so somebody could restore it to original, I know Stphen can't wait for me to ask him to do it.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
1. Nice to see you back here!
Thanks Pete - great to see you too !

2. That seems like a sort of decent price except that mostly these are for collectors so the defects say no. I'd play mine live if it wasn't for the fact it would get trashed. Collectors want uncracked Grafton.
I can understand collectors wanting minters, I wonder how many are out there actually for sale . it`s definitely got a unique look so can undestand wanting to take it live. shame there isn`t a lookalike , even the plastic horn(s?) that exist look nothing like one (Vibrato . Nuovo etc)

I bought mine for I think about £1500, but it is in great nick and no cracks so I'd say that is collectible. But I have to say though as I did want to play it in the studio, I had it fettled by @Stephen Howard (he won't do that again).
I`m not surprised and I remember that (or the review he did) ,
He put on better pads, the originals are horrible to play so maybe is not such a collectible. Except I think I may still have the original pads so somebody could restore it to original, I know Stphen can't wait for me to ask him to do it.
LOL _ I be he can't anymore than me sending him another courier trashed YTS61 to put back into shape .

turf3

Locality
Earth
Weren't these made in the late 40s/early 50s? If my memory of plastics from that time are accurate, I think the thing's probably well on its way to crumbling anyway due to embrittlement. Look at pictures of other plastic artifacts from those days and you'll see what I mean.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Weren't these made in the late 40s/early 50s? If my memory of plastics from that time are accurate, I think the thing's probably well on its way to crumbling anyway due to embrittlement. Look at pictures of other plastic artifacts from those days and you'll see what I mean.
Mid '50s.
Not quite at the crumbling stage - but very, very prone to cracking. Not that they never were...

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
LOL _ I be he can't anymore than me sending him another courier trashed YTS61 to put back into shape .
I'd sooner take on a dozen mangled Yamahas than even one exceptional Grafton.
I've paid all my dues (and then some) when it comes to sorting out bat-****-crazy saxes. I no longer have anything to prove. so the Grafton goes right to the top of my "I'm a little busy right now....try me again in, oooh, 2043" list.

Jimmymack

Locality
London
You see, nobody that you'd trust will mess with 'em, especially if they've already had one go. I wonder what state the Parker one was in after it had been played at the auction. They probably need fixing after each song.

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
This whole Grafton thing certainly was an interesting trial at the time and Charlie Bird Parker made an iconic thing out of it... Sadly that never helped him.

But it is obviously not a winner in terms of longevity and a complete looser in terms of repairability. So since I have a taste for other art forms, I'll pass.

A YAS-21 would be more appealing to me... Or YTS-21!

Ads

Locality
North West UK
A YAS-21 would be more appealing to me... Or YTS-21!
Yeah - they`re the total opposite of a Grafton - Tough as Nails, easy to keep running and in monetary terms pretty worthless (compared to a mint Grafton anyway) .. hence why I`ve bought the one at that place and left the Grafton where it is ..

Ads

Locality
North West UK
YAS21 arrived ,, been cleaning through and polishing the the larger areas where the lacquer has worn off and has turned to the Rusty look with age, I know it`ll do it again but I can keep it to a "Patina" rather than "Sheddy" level .. plays as sweet as a nut and sounds superb, not bad for nearly 50 years old and well used .. its been that well maintained despite its apprearance, that I don`t need to go through it setting the action or replacing corks , doesn`t even need a Lube !! .. as you can see most of the pruple YAS21 / yamaha logo is still there , it was all but missing from the last one , sadly the neck badge is long gone .

Some quick Pics here .. Note to David - its also got a MIR sticker on the case like the last one, they must have serviced ,loads of 21s !

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Welcome back! :)

That sax looks pretty good to me.

Phil

Commercial Supporter
Locality
France
So other than looking cool and Parker playing one, does a Grafton offer anything special or unique in the way of tone??

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Jon - I`m a bit older than the YAS21 but not as tatty :rofl: .

Nigel - yeah - amazingly that horn hasn`t any dents in which is a miracle , just a few tiny dings scattered about and lots of lacquer scratched off, I`ve polished the larger brown bits back to brass so they can turn "RAW" looking, I completely de-lacquered the bell and bow on the last one as there were no logos left on, this one stays as is .. . wow was it filthy inside, had to clean it out with a Soggy pulltrhough

Phil , I`d say not , I remember Stephen H saying in the review that one in top playing order was at best as good as a decent brass Alto so they`re really there for collectors , wall ornaments and the historical value as no way would I gig one !

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
So other than looking cool and Parker playing one, does a Grafton offer anything special or unique in the way of tone??

I have heard that the body tube was based on the Buescher alto. It sounds nice when in top order but I wouldn't say different to a good brass alto.

When I took my Grafton along to show my teacher (professional player, played and recorded with Loose Tubes) he really liked the sound and offered there and then to swap his Selmer Cigar Cutter for it.

Rhys

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
That's an original MIR Halesowen sticker on the 21 case from when the Toys and Charlie Connolly worked together.
Iirc they split up with the Toys moving to Walsall as MIR and Charile to Great Barr as Connolly-MIR. The latter became Sheward-MIR when Charlie retired some years back.

Matt Sheward recently worked on a sop, alto, tenor, bari for me. I'll never forget how he removed 17 dents from my Grassi years ago and you'd never have known they were there.

Your 21 looks in similar nick to my 23 (Vito). There's just something about these older ones which makes you defer to them whatever "better" or more recent Yamaha model you might compare them to. Can't explain what.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom