support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM September 2022 "The Entertainer"

"Well done, you" is apparently said by some Brits but I usually think of it as being a bit patronising. Maybe it's old fashioned or maybe I don't mix with the right people !

I think that the soprano is the voice I turn to for a more old fashioned sound and perhaps it is easier to "sing" on that than ATB saxes.

Rhys
Sorry. It was offered in the most positive way possible. Perhaps I am watching too many shows on Britbox. :)

@rhysonsax
“Well done or That will do” I interpret as only the best of complementary reply. I don’t see anyone here with anything less than high compliments.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q

That's absolutely how I took those comments - and I love Babe too. "That'll do Pig" is a catchphrase in our household also.

I was just pointing out that in the strange world of British English there seems to be a difference between "Well done" and "Well done, you". I don't know why or even if I am alone in perceiving the second as being sometimes less genuine than the former.

Rhys

I have struggled with my audio setup as my PC no longer recognises my Audio Interface for recording and using my Zoom H2n into the PC seems to clip even at the lowest gain settings.

So with those excuses out of the way, here is a version I just recorded on soprano.

The Entertainer - Rhys sop V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS I was hoping to record some more this month but need to sort out the Interface.
Really enjoyed that your sop tone is wonderful on this.

Jx

I was just pointing out that in the strange world of British English there seems to be a difference between "Well done" and "Well done, you". I don't know why or even if I am alone in perceiving the second as being sometimes less genuine than the former.
I agree. “Well done” is genuine praise, whereas “Well done, you” sounds very slightly ironic or patronising to me. It’s the sort of thing someone might say to a precocious child. Though the tone of voice would make a big difference.

Sorry. It was offered in the most positive way possible. Perhaps I am watching too many shows on Britbox. :)
Or perhaps you are watching the wrong kind of shows. ;)

Or perhaps Rhys and I are just out-of-date and the phrase is normal in modern British English.

That's absolutely how I took those comments - and I love Babe too. "That'll do Pig" is a catchphrase in our household also.

Rhys
Well one things for sure there’s a difference in locations and how terms are interpreted. Around here at the wrong place saying well done could get your bacon burnt. :w00t:

It’s great being part of an international forum:cool:

Getting towards the end of the month and I have eventually sorted out my Audio Interface by reinstalling its drivers.

I thought I would do another another recording on soprano, this time with a piano backing which I had to move down a tone and slow down a bit. The soprano is very exposed but this is as good as I can get the tuning and timing in a single take !

The Entertainer - Rhys sop V2 + piano.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Last edited:
Getting towards the end of the month and I have eventually sorted out my Audio Interface by reinstalling its drivers.

I thought I would do another another recording on soprano, this time with a piano backing which I had to move down a tone and slow down a bit. The soprano is very exposed but this is as good as I can get the tuning and timing in a single take !

The Entertainer - Rhys sop V2 + piano.mp3 - Box

Rhys
Thanks for submitting this additional version. It is a reminder of how delightful this tune is in its "original" style and your playing is superb. I had to look up the "form" of the original version of this tune to be certain which is: Intro AA BB A CC Intro2 DD---which is a "sort of rondo" form. The melodic exchange between the saxophone and piano in section B gives it the feel of a live performance, and you were able to navigate the extreme range demands of section C very convincingly.

..... The melodic exchange between the saxophone and piano in section B gives it the feel of a live performance, and you were able to navigate the extreme range demands of section C very convincingly.

You're too kind (really) !

My current sop mouthpiece has a big chamber and no "squeeze throat" which gives a nice saxophoney sound but I struggle up top. I can't reliably hit Eb3 and above. So I didn't get all of the top notes.

But I have just got a new-to-me Lawton mouthpiece that has a small tip opening (0.040") and I think that with a strong reed it will help with those high notes.

Hoping to do a sax quartet recording later in the month.

Rhys

Further to the post yesterday re recording this is my first (attempt) ish...really seemed to have to blare it out...

Don't be to harsh it's in a caravan...lol

This is a really good start. You've got all the notes right and pretty good tone! The next thing to think about is fitting with the tempo and feel. Occasionally you give a bit of inflection which means you understand that some feeling needs to be in the playing.

In my opinion the next step is to know this well enough to not use the music. Continually reading means that you're concentrating on the visual ... dot = finger position. Once you've freed yourself from that you can concentrate on playing with the rhythm and feel. A good exercise is to sing the song, then play it as you sang it.

Last edited:
This a really good start. You've all the notes right and pretty good tone! The next thing to think about is fitting with the tempo and feel. Occasionally you give a bit of inflection which means you understand that some feeling needs to be in the playing.

In my opinion the next step is to know this well enough to not use the music. Continually reading means that you're concentrating on the visual ... dot = finger position. Once you've freed yourself from that you can concentrate on playig with the rhythm and feel. A good exercise is to sing the song, then play iit as you sang it.
Thanks better than I was expecting from feedback..I thought it was flat and soulless..need some technique quickly..oh and a non wired set of headphones..lol..seemed a bit strained if thats the right word..

Further to the post yesterday re recording this is my first (attempt) ish...really seemed to have to blare it out...

It doesn't sound like you're blasting it out. Chances are you've been playing a little quietly up to now.

For a first recording you should be proud of yourself. Yes, some of the high notes sound a little strained but that will ease with time. That's a good tone you can really build on. The timing will become increasingly precise as you relax, too.

oh and a non wired set of headphones..lol.

Wireless/Bluetooth headphones will add lag because of how Bluetooth works. Put the headphone cable over your shoulder. If it's not long enough, get an extension lead.

Nice to hear you at last. Lots to be happy with and even more to look forward to.
Please get addicted ASAP then as you learn the process, get your self onto a proper DAW to improve the end result even more.
Audacity will tell you when it's done with you

Great Stuff, now yer on your way,
play it every day for a while and listen to other versions,
get to know it really well then start adding your feel to it.
Relax Eddie - keep up the work - Yer doin good.

I agree with Wade, try to get away from the dots so you can relax a bit. It’s hard to comment on your tone because I think the recording isn’t doing you any favours, and you say you were having to blast it out which never helps, but I recommend the dreaded long tones, and try and get the mic sorted.

Back
Top Bottom