support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM September 2022 "The Entertainer"

I just remembered the Rentnerband version: It's an hommage to Gottfried Böttger, a great boogie woogie pianist (he passed away in 2017)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBP5VLYQP4

It's only a quarter as good if you don't understand the lyrics, they are hilarious but they are hard to translate.
All about a piano ragtime player in an underground bar in 1930s Chicago who keeps looking at the bullet holes in the piano and hopes that the keys won't turn red while he is playing ...

Last edited:
On a sidenote, I experimented a bit more with the Entertainer using the new backing track and instead of Rahsaan Roland Kirk, I was wondering how Coleman Hawkins might have played it.

It's still pretty experimental but maybe somebody can pick up some ideas from this take:

So much fun...sounds so different than the first take

Think i wish i understood those lyrics. Pmsl
Every night I play piano in the underground bar until 4
Unfortunately, this job is very risky, please note the bullet holes in the piano and the shot gun pattern in the wall behind it

The piano keys are still white - but the Chicago nights are hot
And then the keys are bloody red - and someone says "Oh Pardon Me, I didn't mean it" but the guy at the piano is dead

Recently I said, I'll quit, otherwise a bullet's going to hit (me)
I got a really great old lady - please, boss, let me get out of this contract

But the boss said "No, Gottfried, no!" - the patrons are going to smash this place to pieces
I'll never find another ragtime king like you, so please, please don't leave me now!

(crude translation, with no rhyme or remmon)

On a sidenote, I experimented a bit more with the Entertainer using the new backing track and instead of Rahsaan Roland Kirk, I was wondering how Coleman Hawkins might have played it.

It's still pretty experimental but maybe somebody can pick up some ideas from this take:

I‘m going to give this a wack. Could be…… entertaining:optimistic:

We'll never know. I had the same thoughts; how would J.T. Brown, A.C. Reed, Eddy Shaw ..... played it. There were more into Chicago electric blues. I try to play "The Entertainer" but it's not easy for me. Rahsaan Roland Kirk version is IMO a jazzy blues with some growl and vibrato. In the end he is using the blues scale, But I'm going to do a shorter recording. I think the blues as a genre is open. To get a song a more bluesy groove is an old trick.

The Entertainer played as a metal rock version.
View: https://youtu.be/fMNJGkbXlAg

We'll never know. I had the same thoughts; how would J.T. Brown, A.C. Reed, Eddy Shaw ..... played it. There were more into Chicago electric blues. I try to play "The Entertainer" but it's not easy for me. Rahsaan Roland Kirk version is IMO a jazzy blues with some growl and vibrato. In the end he is using the blues scale, But I'm going to do a shorter recording. I think the blues as a genre is open. To get a song a more bluesy groove is an old trick.

The Entertainer played as a metal rock version.
View: https://youtu.be/fMNJGkbXlAg
Yes, I took the backing tracks from @jbtsax and extended it (copy and paste) to the 5 min that I have (from original ~3 min) just to give myself a bit more time to toggle between the original theme and the blues improvisations. And I shamelessly copied a few lines from Hawk's "Soul Blues" because they just fit in just great.

There are so many possibilities, I'd love to think about a Johnny Hodges inspired version but my altos are gathering dust and bending the notes the way he did is way beyond my skill level.

Of course, my dream would be to strap my sax over my shoulder and get on the bicycle to join a piano player :cool: (boys can dream ... )

I feel lonely .... Do I need to threaten with a c-melody version if nobody else posts? :banana:
Hopefully I will beat you to it. I’m having some genetic difficulties:doh:

I have struggled with my audio setup as my PC no longer recognises my Audio Interface for recording and using my Zoom H2n into the PC seems to clip even at the lowest gain settings.

So with those excuses out of the way, here is a version I just recorded on soprano.

The Entertainer - Rhys sop V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS I was hoping to record some more this month but need to sort out the Interface.

I have struggled with my audio setup as my PC no longer recognises my Audio Interface for recording and using my Zoom H2n into the PC seems to clip even at the lowest gain settings.

So with those excuses out of the way, here is a version I just recorded on soprano.

Rhys

PS I was hoping to record some more this month but need to sort out the Interface.
Very nice...

Well done, you. (I think that's what they say in the U.K.) :) Choosing a high pitched instrument gives it more of a traditional jazz vibe that I like. I wish I had your range and control in the high register of the soprano. You must play it a lot. I still reminisce about what fun it was to work up the soprano and clarinet duet with you playing On the Sunny Side of the Street.
Thanks for submitting another version.

Rhys

:clapping: As someone once told a pig…That Will Do ! (From the movie Babe)

Computer issues…I have notifications from Sure MOTIV that the upcoming MAC IOS update 16.0 may suck.
1663952790377.jpeg

Well done, you. (I think that's what they say in the U.K.) :) Choosing a high pitched instrument gives it more of a traditional jazz vibe that I like. I wish I had your range and control in the high register of the soprano. You must play it a lot. I still reminisce about what fun it was to work up the soprano and clarinet duet with you playing On the Sunny Side of the Street.
Thanks for submitting another version.

Thanks @jbtsax for those kind words - I too have fond memories of our collaboration on the Sunny Side. By coincidence that was based on a lovely recording by Kenny Davern on clarinet and Bob Wilber on soprano (two of my favourites). I have just transcribed a great solo by Kenny Davern on C Melody saxophone and have been listening a lot to this clarinet recording by Bob Wilber.

View: https://youtu.be/QVjvPZtyB9o

"Well done, you" is apparently said by some Brits but I usually think of it as being a bit patronising. Maybe it's old fashioned or maybe I don't mix with the right people !

I think that the soprano is the voice I turn to for a more old fashioned sound and perhaps it is easier to "sing" on that than ATB saxes.

Rhys

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom