supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

SOTM and BOTM popularity

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
It is my impression that during the last 3 months of so the BOTM and SOTM have not had as many posting as in the past. I am wondering if my impressions are correct (The idea of going back over several years and counting the posting each month is pretty daunting) and if so why.
First of all what are the impressions of the rest of the Cafe and if the general consensus is that I am correct then why does its popularity seem to be declining.
We have a discussion about some members shyness but are there other reasons? e.g. not many people like the tunes, other things in life getting in the way of sax playing.
What are other peoples thoughts on this.

Mark

It is my impression that during the last 3 months of so the BOTM and SOTM have not had as many posting as in the past. I am wondering if my impressions are correct (The idea of going back over several years and counting the posting each month is pretty daunting) and if so why.
First of all what are the impressions of the rest of the Cafe and if the general consensus is that I am correct then why does its popularity seem to be declining.
We have a discussion about some members shyness but are there other reasons? e.g. not many people like the tunes, other things in life getting in the way of sax playing.
I would class myself as a dedicated beginner (4 yrs) and can usually play the BOTM and SOTM selected each month - how well would be up to others and I would post here if I could. It may seem a lame excuse but I am fairly late to IT (67 yrs) and quite IT illiterate - work/life commitments do not allow for 'spare' time to educate myself (and I'm not terribly interested in doing so); I have no idea how to 'upload' a recording; I would find it helpful if a straight forward simple Noddys Guide could be produced if possible without using technie language - but maybe thats not possible!

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I would class myself as a dedicated beginner (4 yrs) and can usually play the BOTM and SOTM selected each month - how well would be up to others and I would post here if I could. It may seem a lame excuse but I am fairly late to IT (67 yrs) and quite IT illiterate - work/life commitments do not allow for 'spare' time to educate myself (and I'm not terribly interested in doing so); I have no idea how to 'upload' a recording; I would find it helpful if a straight forward simple Noddys Guide could be produced if possible without using technie language - but maybe thats not possible!
Do you need help how to make a recording, or just how to upload it?

rhysonsax

My impression is that some of the members who used to regularly record and contribute to these threads have either left the forum or just don't post in every month's thread. Their contributions don't seem to have been replaced by other members, new and existing.

Some forum members who do make high quality recordings seem to prefer to do tunes of their own choosing rather than SOTM and BOTM, which is fine but may make the SOTM/BOTM threads a little "threadbare" !

Rhys

Taz

Busking Oracle
New job and other band commitments keep me pretty busy these days so my contributions will be out for the near future I’m afraid.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I haven't recorded anything in ages. Playing in umpteen bands probably has something to do with that. Well, that and a lack of enthusiasm for the process.

Colin the Bear

With time pressures from many directions I find myself rationing myself. If I already know a song it's very easy to pop out a recording. If I don't know a song, I find myself debating as to whether I want to add it to my repertoire. If the answer is no then there's little chance of me investing the many hours to learn, arrange and record it.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Café Supporter
I think they are both great threads, I always poke my nose in and have a look, if something inspires me I print the sheet music and have a go,. time is very limited these days so unless I get in the groove very quickly I move on to something else. I don't have recording stuff, so I don't post, nothing to do with shyness. It is also very difficult to find a song that the majority like, as we are all different in our tastes.
There are also a lot of window shoppers, it would be interesting to know if they are having a go but not getting involved in the threads.
Is there also a improvisation of the month?
Maybe it needs a shake up but I don't have any suggestions.

one other thought, I have looked back to earlier BOTM and SOTM and the way it is run now, sheet music, backing tracks is exceptionally well done, so that certainly isn't the issue

nigeld

Subscriber
I haven’t been playing much for the last four months, so I haven’t posted anything.
Frankly, I’ve been reluctant to record myself because it will sound even worse than usual. I dislike recording myself at the best of times.
I’m hoping to get back to regular playing, and regular contributions, after the summer.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
New job in the way just as I was warming up to the idea of posting more often even if I'm not satisfied with my playing...

I'm enjoying a great weekend away from home but also away from my sax-toys!

I keep downloading and printing the scores but can't even get started working on them these days. :(

Clivey

As a kinda long term poster on these threads who does not post often now I would probably suggest that this phenomenon appears on many forums across the whole of the internet. It just happens, and of course we are all pioneers in a way. This stuff is really still in it`s infancy as is the internet for many., barring apocalypse.

I suppose each contributor/ participant or whatever has their very own set of motivations and I know there are many lurkers out there probably downloading the resource files for their own private enjoyment or employment with no intention of publishing. I `m not embarrassed to say that the ballad of the month thread and others was key to me developing my own performance set which I have used busking and in pro gigs in the last 4 years. It has also led to me recording ,producing and publishing/posting over 100 numbers starting off with the fated myspace but now mainly on my soundclick page and sometimes soundcloud in the last 5 or 6 years , so a pretty good hobby even if it was solely just to my benefit.

I suppose the motto has to be use it or lose it. For sure most of the resources we use are copyright material and I suspect that if the owners thought a fast easy buck could be made they'd rightly chase it risking killing the golden goose in the process.

Last edited:

nigeld

Subscriber
I have been considering alternating SOTM and BOTM, so that there is only one of them each month.

But I quite like having a choice - sometimes one of them appeals to me a lot more than the other.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
From the beginning of February to the beginning of May, I had big band rehearsals leading to performances. Between my work schedule and having to spend considerable time practicing the charts, I wasn't able to find time to record.

We are now between semesters, so I would like to participate in BOTM/SOTM. I've put together a really good practice routine that addresses my weak areas and I've been diligent and focused on that. But recording and posting would be a great way to get feedback on my progress.

Mark

Do you need help how to make a recording, or just how to upload it?
i use Audacity in order to record myself to assist with learning feedback; installing it (and LAME i think it was called) was a challenge over a prolonged period having to rely on one of my kids to help when they could !.

s.mundi

I truly appreciate and respect the hard work put into arranging, writing lead sheets, and recording the tracks for these monthly tunes. I enjoy checking them out.

In addition to old people daily responsibilities, I'm working on Masters (two more years).

I'm just musician with very basic saxophone skills. Performing for an audience is the passion in my life and it supercharges my internal happiness, so "music time" is focused on preparing for a show.

Thanks again.

nigeld

Subscriber
i use Audacity in order to record myself to assist with learning feedback; installing it (and LAME i think it was called) was a challenge over a prolonged period having to rely on one of my kids to help when they could !.
So you know how to make recordings.
Now you just need to learn how to post them.

You will need to:
1. export your audio file from Audacity to a file on your computer
2. upload this audio file to a suitable place on the internet
3. copy the URL into your post

Various members use SoundCloud, Dropbox, Box and other internet servers.
Personally I use SoundCloud - t's free, and it integrates well with the Cafe forum software.

So you will first have to create an account with SoundCloud (once only)
Then you log in to Soundcloud and upload your audio file.
Then make sure it is public.
Then use the "share" button to copy the URL of the new file

Now you can make a new post in the forum and use the "Insert" button at the top of the editing box (it's the one with three dots ". . ."), choose "Media" and paste the URL.

That's it.

thomsax

I don't record because I don't have any recording equipment. I just have a zoom 1 and the PA.

Top Bottom