PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Soprano sax reeds why do strengths vary so much for differnt makes?

BeBopSop

Locality
worcester england
>:)
Hi, I have been using Vandoren 2.1/2 which are just right strength wise,then I bought some Rico royal 2.1/2 thinking they would play the same but they were so soft I couldnt use them, I was recommended to get some Alexander Superial (in a posh tin) 2.1/2 so I sent off mail order for a tin of ten (not just one to try) and guess what too soft! I would guess that the Rico and Superials are about the equivilent to 2.00 in Vandoren, are the Vandorens on the hard side or are the others on the soft side?Why cant they regulate reeds to conform to be all the same strength (at the same number)
rant over....

Cane reeds can be great when you have found the right make and strength,although out of a box of ten you might be lucky to get 3-4 good ones,the rest will have to be worked on.
i got fed up with cane and switched to synthetics several years ago.

Brian

Hi Col, this chart I should have had from day One! thanks! it would have saved me a few quid, but it will in the future. just to check though,at the top of the page (sax co.) where it says 2.5, when you look down to say,Alexander Superial it reads 3, does that mean you need to buy a 3 in Superial to get an actual strength of 2.5
regards
John

...just to check though,at the top of the page (sax co.) where it says 2.5, when you look down to say,Alexander Superial it reads 3, does that mean you need to buy a 3 in Superial to get an actual strength of 2.5
regards
John

Columns are the same strength. They use Vandoren blue box strengths as a reference/column heading. So if the Vandoren Blue is your strength just look down to get equivalents in other types/makes. However, treat this as a starting point, cos it's subjective. For instance the list Rico Jazz select 2S as the same strength as a rico royal 1.5, I'd put it closer to a 2.

There are other charts as well, just google saxophone reed strength chart. e.g.:

http://www.saxplus.com/reed-strength-chart.html
http://www.doctorsax.biz/reed_comp.htm

There is also the different cut types as I have found recently from TomMap and Morgan Fry.
I was playing Alexander Superials, needed more resistance and Alexander DCs were recommended. Did the trick.
So you're not out of the woods (or canes) yet my chum.
Andrew

Sorry John, missed your question, but what Kev says. It is always a bit subjective. Remember they are bits of wood. Thats why some people like synthetics.
YC

The best reed strength comparison chart I've found is www.saxophon-service.de/shop/z_57.htm which mentions some of the other brands apart from Rico and Vandoren. The reeds you have been using are the Vandoren Classic/Traditional/Blue Box variety. Apart from strength issues some reeds will produce a darker or brighter, jazzier or more percussive sound.

I use the Marca Jazz 3 strength - which are available in 5's, which is a help, as are 1 or 2 others.

Cane reeds can be great when you have found the right make and strength,although out of a box of ten you might be lucky to get 3-4 good ones,the rest will have to be worked on.
i got fed up with cane and switched to synthetics several years ago.

Brian

Is every syn reed almost identical to next one in the box?

Do syn reeds play for longer?

Is every syn reed almost identical to next one in the box?

Do syn reeds play for longer?
Well they should be but they are not, but the differences are smaller than cane, yes they last longer but are more expensive and it can take quite a bit of money for you to experiment to find the right one.
I don't play synthetics on soprano any more, simply can't find one I'm happy with.
Played the a lot on alto but have now moved back to cane.

Back
Top Bottom