support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sonny Rollins in his prime!!!

visionari1 said:
This is an amazing video, don't know the actual date, to see his physical creativity as well as the improv… must be at least 35-40 years ago?

Inspirational
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or8ow7lqXo4&feature=youtube_gdata

Cheers and ciao

Hmmmm must be doing something wrong, the link doesn't appear to be working… can anyone help!

Cheers and ciao

Beautiful, beautiful stuff. My guess is late 70s or early 80s. And it's well recorded too.

Who says you can't get a great sound out of a Berg Larsen ? (Er, lots of people on SOTW actually).

Sonny is my all time favourite player and I saw him play live in the UK throughout the 80s and early 90s.

Thanks for a great clip and one of my favourite tunes too.

Rhys

Seen Sonny twice in the 90's,both amazing and my best ever gigs todate and forever.For me Sonny Rollins is the best tenor player that has lived,been or will ever be,its as simple as that.He makes me laugh when i hear him,he is a Genius.Never heard a player come close to him for such feats of out there stellar prowness.Long live the king Sir Sonny.

Beautiful, beautiful stuff. My guess is late 70s or early 80s.

Rhys

This is one of my favourite songs, especially as John Coltrane played it with Johnny Hartman

I revisited it an found it was 1982, wow wasn't he in fine form on that gig!
Even today he is still a saxophone Collossus!
I love his totally unacompanied solo's

And Thanks Pete for the house keeping!
I did all that from the iphone so might explain the difficulty.
Ciao
Jimu

This is one of my favourite songs, especially as John Coltrane played it with Johnny Hartman

Jimu

My husband's too - he has it as one of his funeral tunes - hopefully not for a very long time yet though.

I really enjoyed hearing Sonny play it on this clip - thanks for the find. Gotta love You tube!

Sue
~~

Fabulous. Anyone know what mic he's using on this?

I looked back in some old magazines from around this time and they give the mouthpiece (Berg Larsen 130/2), reed (LaVoz medium or Fred Hemke 2.5) and sax (Selmer MkVI 130,xxx) but they don't mention the microphone.

Looking online it seems he is now using AMT clip-on mic:
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c1vye-mXPI

http://www.appliedmicrophone.com/endorsers/profile/SonnyRollins

I think it is the AMT LS model.

Stephen Howard has reviewed one of the AMT mics here: AMT Roam 1 Elite review

Rhys

Last edited:
Thanks Rhys for going to all that trouble. I use an old AKG C419 through its own body pack and then plugged into a Sennheiser wireless sender unit. It gives a bright sound that works fine for rock gigs on both tenor and bari but I don't like the sound for jazz so I use Rhode NT5 on a stand for a fuller sound. The AMT looks and sounds very interesting - a lot of money though, hmm ... Thanks again.

Ric

Thanks Rhys for going to all that trouble. I use an old AKG C419 through its own body pack and then plugged into a Sennheiser wireless sender unit. It gives a bright sound that works fine for rock gigs on both tenor and bari but I don't like the sound for jazz so I use Rhode NT5 on a stand for a fuller sound. The AMT looks and sounds very interesting - a lot of money though, hmm ... Thanks again.

Ric

No trouble - Sonny Rollins is my very favourite sax player and improvisor.

I also have the AKG C419 which was OK but it would be better with: 1. An on/off switch on the body pack and 2. A battery light or better still a meter.

I have moved away from a clip-on mic to just playing with a stand mic for my rock gigs. I also like the Soundback reflector for acoustic foldback. Have heard good things about Rode mics, but have never tried one.

The AMTs certainly are pricey. They've got them at Howarth's, sax.co.uk and various other places in England: http://www.appliedmicrophone.com/dealers/country/66

Rhys

Last edited:
I agree about it having an on/off switch - it's too easy to leave the lead plugged in and waste the battery life. A light or meter would be great too.

I've used a stand mic for years but quite recently rediscovered the freedom of a clip-on with wireless and I'd like that for jazz gigs too but don't want to sacrifice sound.

I bought a matched [air of NT5s for recording and took a risk on using one live as I imagine they're fairly delicate - no trouble yet though. A mate who's pro and does a lot of recording recommended them - they are good, and value for money.

I just bought tickets (3rd row) to see him in Burlington, Vermont at the Discover Jazz Fest on June 12. There is a question and answer session with him at 5:30pm - I will be there!

Strange though - can't find anyone to use the other ticket - if not, I will go solo! Counting the days..... thanks for all the extra info and links, I've enjoyed looking at everything :)