All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Some existential thoughts on GAS & eBaying at the moon.

Iain

Iain

Locality
Helsiki Finland
It’s true. After buying and selling a couple dozen tenors over the years, I am now down to one tenor (Borgani Jubilee) and two mouthpieces (Phil-Tone Intrepid 7* and Morgan 6C) for exactly the scenario you describe.

Your secret is safe here - assuming your wife cannot read.

P.S. I am among thone who managed to acquire a tastes for horehound candy last century. I still buy it when I see it, but seldom visit stores that carry it.
I have a pal who has a shoe box full of mouthpieces. Each time we meet, he has a different one, and says "This is it! This is the one!"

But he's the happiest baritone player i have ever met!

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I'm getting fed up with being one bid short on ebay. So annoying. :mad:

Dr G

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
I have a pal who has a shoe box full of mouthpieces. Each time we meet, he has a different one, and says "This is it! This is the one!"

But he's the happiest baritone player i have ever met!

Yeah, I have a friend with a dozen+ baris, and even more tenors. Hundreds of mouthpieces when I last visited. After I got tired of amusing him by trying various combinations, I told him to pick one horn and one mouthpiece, and put the rest away. He noticed an improvement in his playing within a month… and then got out some more horns again.

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
P.S. I am among thone who managed to acquire a tastes for horehound candy last century. I still buy it when I see it, but seldom visit stores that carry it.
look by the checkout stand at your local Ace hardware. The store by me carries them. About two dollars for a 6 ounce bag. Oops I guess I just gave away that I like them too :)

Iain

Iain

Locality
Helsiki Finland
Yeah, I have a friend with a dozen+ baris, and even more tenors. Hundreds of mouthpieces when I last visited. After I got tired of amusing him by trying various combinations, I told him to pick one horn and one mouthpiece, and put the rest away. He noticed an improvement in his playing within a month… and then got out some more horns again.
Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. I have two tenors and three mouthpieces.

T

Trigger

Locality
England
B3FB20A9 DAE0 40E9 83D7 5ABB3EA80FD9

Bad case of gas

G

greenstripe

Locality
UK
I only have 1 alto and 1 tenor as I haven't really started on saxophone -yet!

1 Tenor saxophone
1 Alto saxophone
7 guitars
1 violin
1 viola
1 electric double bass
1 flute
1 harmonica

Lots of accessories for various of the above...

So I guess we have a problem!

Iain

Iain

Locality
Helsiki Finland
I only have 1 alto and 1 tenor as I haven't really started on saxophone -yet!

1 Tenor saxophone
1 Alto saxophone
7 guitars
1 violin
1 viola
1 electric double bass
1 flute
1 harmonica

Lots of accessories for various of the above...

So I guess we have a problem!
I think I might have gone in the same direction (saxophones plus tuned percussion - vibraphone, marimba, etc etc) but my wife has been a voice of reason.

Hankenstine

Hankenstine

Locality
UK
My wife said innocently, "The saxophone you are playing now sounds best by far. Why don't you get rid of the others?"
Sweet lady!
Perhaps innocently suggest it might be easier to get rid of the wife?

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I think this thread is in danger of moving off into some unnecessary stereotyping. Know what I mean? Not there yet, but it's getting close to that line...

Good humour is good as is respect for spouses

Hankenstine

Hankenstine

Locality
UK
(funny meme deleted for diplomatic reasons)

Last edited:
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I have....
1 piano
2 viols (tenor and bass)
2 celli
4 saxes (one each SATB)
4 electric bass guitars (plus one currently being made)
4 recorders

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Here’s the stand for you.

View attachment 20279
I know of them from my friend with a similar challenge as you. He has several racks similar to this.
Haven’t had a guest in the guest room since pre-Covid. If I take the bed out I think I’ll have room for four of those shelves. It’s getting tight walking in between the stands. There’s a few more on top of the bed….and underneath too:oops:

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom