All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Some existential thoughts on GAS & eBaying at the moon.

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
I can see you need, and have, a very sophisticated way of operating. As a mere mortal I can only look on in awe, although I still suspect she knows all.
Before her return back home I had the goods hidden well. Nothing in the same spot. Only left out a few select. I was briefly interrogated. My reply. One of my friends brought them by for review of repairs. He left these two for repairs.
Those two needed service anyway. Both received a full COA. Then I promptly sold them both. Being thrilled with the chunk of cash I gave her I was no longer questioned. I also don’t question what her new shoes are for;)

mizmar

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
Wife was out of town for a week visiting family
reminds me of an old motorbiker joke, I freely adapt...

Dear SOTW member, I need some advice:

I've suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating on me. The usual signs...phone rings, but if I answer, the caller hangs up. My wife has been going out with the girls a lot recently, although when I ask their names she always says, "Just some friends from work, you don't know them." I checked her credit card record and found she was regularly going to this one restaurant with a hotel upstairs...

Anyway, I have never broached the subject with my wife. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth, but last night she went out again and I decided to really check on her. I decided to disguise myself as a busker, with a floppy hat and big coat, and go busking outside the restaurant to see what's going on. I grabbed my sax and was out there noodling away. Just as I saw my wife go in with this bloke I notice my G# key was a bit loose and producing an unstable sound...

So...is this something I can easily repair myself or do you think I should take it to a tec?

Last edited:
Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
We’re here for you, Michael. You’ve had a good year, and you deserve a tenor.

Yours in tenor bliss,

George
I love you for this George though I know it's only an alto. If this horn turns out to be wonderful I probably might go for the tenor version next, once the Big B sells. But it's been six months on consignment and cero patatero so far. Thinking of bringing it home at least until the pandemic ends.

According to the government here that is not likely to be until after August when they have totally finished vaccinating everyone with the two doses of the vaccine plus allowing for the time in between each shot and the 3 to 4 week time afterwards for it to gain full effectiveness in the body. The idea that we might be able to go to the USA once again seems to be wishful thinking more and more.

So for sure I will need a diversion here....it's so bloody hot we have to stay inside with AC for the 2 months......and that's a perfect justification for a new sax, isn't it? Say yes so I can say my Dr. prescribed it for me.

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Dear SOTW member, I need some advice
So...is this something I can easily repair myself or do you think I should take it to a tec?
My mentor always suggested posting pictures for best advice.
Is it the Key cup or key touch. I completely understand Your dilemma.

Dr G

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
reminds me of an old motorbiker joke, I freely adapt...

Dear SOTW member, I need some advice:

I've suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating on me. The usual signs...phone rings, but if I answer, the caller hangs up. My wife has been going out with the girls a lot recently, although when I ask their names she always says, "Just some friends from work, you don't know them." I checked her credit card record and found she was regularly going to this one restaurant with a hotel upstairs...

Anyway, I have never broached the subject with my wife. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth, but last night she went out again and I decided to really check on her. I decided to disguise myself as a busker, with a floppy hat and big coat, and go busking outside the restaurant to see what's going on. I grabbed my sax and was out there noodling away. Just as I saw my wife go in with this bloke I notice my G# key was a bit loose and producing an unstable sound...

It sounds like you either have a spring that’s popped its cradle, or you have a loose screw. If the answer isn’t obvious, you need help.

mizmar

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
My mentor always suggested posting pictures for best advice.
Is it the Key cup or key touch. I completely understand Your dilemma.
That'll have to wait till the end of the court case. Someone was obviously fiddling with the horn; grounds enough, I think :mad:

It sounds like...
Sabotage!

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
I love you for this George though I know it's only an alto. If this horn turns out to be wonderful I probably might go for the tenor version next, once the Big B sells. But it's been six months on consignment and cero patatero so far. Thinking of bringing it home at least until the pandemic ends.

According to the government here that is not likely to be until after August when they have totally finished vaccinating everyone with the two doses of the vaccine plus allowing for the time in between each shot and the 3 to 4 week time afterwards for it to gain full effectiveness in the body. The idea that we might be able to go to the USA once again seems to be wishful thinking more and more.

So for sure I will need a diversion here....it's so bloody hot we have to stay inside with AC for the 2 months......and that's a perfect justification for a new sax, isn't it? Say yes so I can say my Dr. prescribed it for me.
Baby steps. Enjoy you birthday present. The one arriving in just a few short days.

If you would like. I’ll list the Captin B flat elsewhere for you.

Hope is on the horizon.

Is there a doctor in the house ?

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
I'm not much for hanging around with either hores or hounds, so don't know much about either species.

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Targa

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
I wonder what Dorothy Parker would have said when asked to use the word 'Horlicks' in a sentence.

(Horticulture - 'You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think')

Jimmymack

Jimmymack

Locality
London
Horlicks helps fend off night starvation if I remember correctly.

Jazz Is All

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
For your education and well-being.
I know all about Horehound as I used to buy it as a teen. I liked the flavor a lot. It was sold in the States since the beginning I'm sure being one of those medicinal type syrups like sassafrass
I had this somewhere, maybe in London but I may have simply bought it in the super in the USA because it is a known brand. Very good too. I loved malteds as a kid since I grew up in the 40s and 50s the age of Soda Fountains and Luncheonettes. After school, we always went to the Luncheonette for a burger or grilled cheese and a shake or malted or cherry coke.
I wonder what Dorothy Parker would have said when asked to use the word 'Horlicks' in a sentence.

(Horticulture - 'You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think')
I can think of one but it would be Dorothy Parker X-Rated and not as clever. One of her other famous lines was about college girls: “If all the girls attending [the Yale prom] were laid end to end, I wouldn't be at all surprised.”

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Erm no the op mentioned opening saxes at 2am and being a gasoholic..
It’s after 4:00 AM here. I’m bored. Are you opening anything new at the moment ? Maybe a new Klangborgen thingy ?
Thanks I’ll stick to my darkroast.
I know all about Horehound as I used to buy it as a teen. I liked the flavor a lot. It was sold in the States since the beginning I'm sure being one of those medicinal type syrups like sassafrass
Old school hard candy for sure. Acquired taste. I still enjoy them. Wife & daughter would rather eat Shineola.

Iain

Iain

Locality
Helsiki Finland
Perusing eBay for saxes is kind of like a cross between drugs, sexual obsession and a werewolf movie: once you are heavy into it you'll be eBaying at the moon, i.e. up until all hours scanning all the horns on every European eBay site. It's definitely a trip into all the aspects of desire, lust, frustration, and existential questioning about the validity of the whole endeavor. If I were going to advise someone of a field to go into it would be to get a degree in psychotherapy and then become the world's expert in GAS Therapy. You could make a fortune and have all the wives in the world forever in your debt. However, you would have to have a bodyguard to prevent being killed by a hit squad from SOTW, a notorious mafia group from the woodwindy city.

Lest you think that GAS is a self-curing affliction, that once one finds the saxophone or mouthpiece to satisfy the need, it disappears, forget it! You've got the sax jones and it in fact only gets worse. One satisfying experience of GAS fulfilled simply leads to repetition with the underlying subconscious thought one of "Wow, that was great. I feel so good now I want to do it again to get that rush when I find the perfect be all and end all of saxes. And that was a (choose one: NSATBCB) so I can go for a (same choice out of 6) this time. I need a better one of those NOW."

This begs the question whether having more than one sax of the same kind even makes sense. As John Locke pointed out, it's impossible to be in more than one place at one time, so too is it impossible to play more than one sax at one time. To put it more vulgarly, there is a Spanish saying that goes: "No se puede montar a dos caballos con un solo culo" -- You can't ride two horses with only one ass. I find that quite meaningful here since with only one mouth and two hands it's hard to play more than one sax at a time.....unless you're someone otherworldly like Rahsaan.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, being a sax player and sax fancier has nothing to do with logic of any type whether existential, physical, or psychological and thus we are able to continue on our merry way playing, ogling, buying, selling, dreaming about, looking at, drooling over, buying again and yet again, and thereby find fulfillment. After all, with saxophones one can make the sweetest and most satisfying music there is in the world, and that above all in my estimation is the greatest avocation to have in life.
Excellent! I justify having two tenors by claiming that big-band and classical ensemble need different sound! Actually a change of mp would probably suffice. Don't let on to my lady wife!

Dr G

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
Excellent! I justify having two tenors by claiming that big-band and classical ensemble need different sound! Actually a change of mp would probably suffice. Don't let on to my lady wife!

It’s true. After buying and selling a couple dozen tenors over the years, I am now down to one tenor (Borgani Jubilee) and two mouthpieces (Phil-Tone Intrepid 7* and Morgan 6C) for exactly the scenario you describe.

Your secret is safe here - assuming your wife cannot read.

P.S. I am among thone who managed to acquire a tastes for horehound candy last century. I still buy it when I see it, but seldom visit stores that carry it.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom