• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Skronk on a budget?

Combs and papers are even more so!
Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 5.01.44 PM.webp
 
To be fair. Some of the cheap Chinese horns are pretty good. They will indeed fulfill what you are looking for.
I have just bought via evil Bay a Gear4music alto. Barely been used. Approx 10hrs so the seller says and its mint. Cost me £124.00 plus a smidgen for delivery.
The mouthpiece is only good as a paper weight but I am fortunate to own a number of mouthpieces already so I get to have a play.
On the other hand. I have also just bought a 1930's Martin handcraft. It has no lacquer left. Looks like it's been left in the rain but plays incredibly! No leaks, no rework needed and a tone that makes my knees go weak! I picked that up for £250.00 which to me seems like a steal.
There are some fantastic horns out there for sub £250.00.
Just keep looking as I think the Jsax will be a massive let down for you.
 
I recall at catering college a tutor telling us Izal was the most hygienic loo roll, in a lab perhaps........

Jx

Unusual place to learn accountancy jeannie when I stopped cringing at the reference to Izal I thought that it might be better used for adding your sums up but then I doubt that biro would stick to it either
 
Last edited:
I mean, that’s a phone recording so you’re never going to get a fair representation of the sound, and I’m planning on running it through chorus, delay & reverb, so ‍♂️

Ideally I really don’t want to spend more than £100-150 ($130-200), since I’ve got repair projects, university project equipment, a perpetually growing record collection and two concerts booked every week on average til the end of the year, so I’m already spreading myself a little thin money-wise! If I can find a really, really cheap alto sax would the difference in usefulness to a beginner with no real desire to become anything other than vaguely proficient between an extremely low-end, used sax and a brand new, warrantied jSax be enough to justify the price gap?

If your serious about getting an alto ebay seems to be awash with saxes that will be in your price range if you take a look and perhaps ask for advice on any that takes your fancy,I noticed one an Earlam that has only reached £80 so far and the seller has linked a video to him playing it so as a starter it might not be a bad buy.and there are others by quite well respected manufacturers that could be in your price range as far as the Earlam goes its only got a couple of hours to run.....good luck
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,084
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom