support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Soprano Sax on a Budget?

ktmdom

Hi all

I'm looking into buying a Soprano and have set myself a budget of £1500. I have a Yanigisawa Tenor sax and this will be probably played more often.
The current line up at the moment are System 54 and the Bauhaus Walstein SSS-Y. I have played the System 54 Soprano and really enjoyed it however there doesn't seem to be that much info about them, apart from their saxophones are proudly made in Tapei.
Has anyone else had any experience with the Bauhaus Walstein or the System 54, are there any others that I should consider?

Thanks for any help

I was looking for a new soprano earlier this year. I didn't try a large number of instruments, but I wasn't impressed with the System 54 I tried, and my feeling was that the mid-range Taiwanese sopranos around £1500 did not seem significantly better than much cheaper Chinese and Taiwanese horns, such as the tick-logo Sakkusu I had. My teacher can make the Sakkusu sound pretty good. You can get a new or used Elkhart Deluxe for a lot less than a System 54. These are also made in Taiwan. A good second-hand one should cost less than £400. Intonation will probably not be as good as the Japanese saxes. I didn't check the intonation carefully enough to know how good it was on the System 54. (I rejected it before getting that far.)

You could get a used Yamaha 475 for a bit more than £1000. I was very impressed with the one I tried. (It was silver. I don't know if this makes a difference.) An older Yanagisawa soprano, for example an 800 series, is also a possibility within your budget. I didn't fall in love with any of the new Yanagisawa 901's I tried - I preferred the Yamaha 475. I once played a Yani S991 that sounded wonderful, but one of these, even second-hand, would cost more.

I got a new Sequoia - nicer and cheaper than any of the Yani's I tried. But I think the price has gone up, and it would be over your limit.

I've just gone from a Bauhaus to a System 54 (the old sax is in the Yardsale section). I don't have the budget to get into Yangisawa territory but am delighted with the System 54 which I bought in fairly well used condition - but its been set up nicely, plays very sweetly, lovely action, great intonation. Sax Shack in Stoke-on-Trent has another s/h one sitting on their shelves - well worth trying IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom