Should You Full Stop or Period or Neither?

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
I live in NL and I redact (voluntarily) EN-text and (voluntarily) do NL-EN translations. So I try to keep up with trends in grammar and punctuation. I also use FB, Whatsapp and forums quite a lot.

On the one hand, the topic of 'ímplied/perceived' emotion through punctuation (or lack of) interests me. On the other hand hand I just think "has it really come to this?"

FWIW, I suspect that peer (age) groups quickly adopt a common communication style (abbreviations, punctuation or lack of). I also suspect that each peer (age) group 'translates' messages from other age groups including abbreviations and punctuation (or lack thereof).

So IMHO, there's no fixed rule. Just say what to want to say (with your own abbreviations and punctuation) and - generally - the 'receiver' will translate this (or request more info).

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Maybe we could have a new rule that every sentence ends with an emoji :yess:
This would add visual excitement to an otherwise dull art form :banana:

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Why did you put the apostrophe in 'Here's'?
Good question

Habit, probably

I want that comma above to imply a pause, so it is there. I want the preceding full stop to show this is a new sentence

But the start of this new paragraph indicates the last sentence above has finished, and I like the look of no period/stop at the end of the last sentence of a paragraph

If I write a letter, I use full stops in the conventional way. There are no rules

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Let's apply these wonderful theories to music and stop worrying about all these annoying marks that clutter the scores and see where we get

Vetinari

Let's apply these wonderful theories to music and stop worrying about all these annoying marks that clutter the scores and see where we get
So you want a blank page?

I need those marks to show me what to play as I personally am unable to deal with musical anarchy.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Reminds me of the pretentious twaddle in Ecco's 'The Name of the Rose' which I made the mistake of reading some years ago. One page is nothing but alliterations in one long unpunctuated stream.

David Dorning

Subscriber
Maybe we could have a new rule that every sentence ends with an emoji :yess:
This would add visual excitement to an otherwise dull art form :banana:
I can’t think of a duller art form than the emoji. In fact I’m surprised to even find myself describing it as an art form so apologies all round.

Vetinari

It is a shame that all this technical equipment we use has eclipsed the good old days, when a qill pen, ink, a sheet of paper could be used, with correct spelling, punctuation and grammer, to convey meaning and emotion

Top Bottom