support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Shipping a Tenor to Italy

Tommy Ng

Locality
South Yorkshire
Hi

I have a Tenor on ebay and someone asked if i can ship the item to Italy. Just wonder if any of you have experience shipping large items to Italy. Heard that the postal service in Italy is not very reliable.

Anyone has any idea how much it cost to ship a Tenor to Italy by Royal Mail recorded?

Cheers.

Hi Tommy

I've only ever shipped smaller items like mouthpieces to Italy, but I haven't had any problems. Like you, though, I've heard stories about stuff getting stolen in the postal system in Italy. Some eBay sellers refuse to ship to Italy for that reason. I gues I'd go with it as long as the customer pays for insurance.

I've shipped saxes to loads of other countries in Europe, and generally use Parcels2go. They take up spare capacity from other shippers and usually get a much better rate than the standard, website based rate. The cost varies dependent on what is available, but I'd allow a £50 to ensure you're not out of pocket. Check out how much it would cost on Parcelforce's own website! It'll be a lot!

Definately do not use regular parcel force for this- that way the Italian postla service would end up with it. Use a separate courier service- Parcel2go are good.... Their website will give you a quote..

I have have no personal experience of posting anything to Italy, but I know that my tech's own sax is a Beuscher Top Hat & Cane Tenor that had been sold by a friend of his in immaculate condition to someone in Italy and carefully wrapped and posted out there only to to come back some time later in a dreadful state and unwanted by the purchaser as damaged in transit.I have no idea what the insurance situation was, but the tech bought it from him as a repair project to have for himself.The main problem is, insurance or not the sax is only ever going to be half the sax it was before it was sent and the seller loses, and most people on this site will know that was one hell of a sax before it got sold and posted,I hope this helps you decide what to do....john

I think it is still safe to use DHL, UPS,... etc ?

I think it is still safe to use DHL, UPS,... etc ?

Try Interparcel. It is an agent for various couriers and often give you better prices than going direct to DHL etc. I imagine Parcel2go that Jules recommends is similar. I haven't tried them but if he says so then I imagine they are also very worth trying.

The main problem comes if you need to insure over a certain amount.

Iv'e just bought a sax and had to arrange a courier from my end, i used Interparcel and had no problem with them but as Pete said they are an agent for other couriers ie UPS, DHL, Citylink who collected and delivered my sax. You will also get it cheaper when you use Interparcel as they get a discount for the amount of packages they send worldwide.
The insurance is free upto the value of £50 then goes up accordingly, i was covered for £500 which cost £10, i never had a problem with the courier i used which was citylink and you have a tracking number.
I think you should be looking in the region of £50 + insurance to send to Italy

I just went to MBE and was told that it costs £78 to ship by Parcelforce and £12 for insurance (up to £500). Was told this is the cheapest reliable option. I suppose other services will be more expensive? Anyone has got any idea?

I used these people for a keyboard to Germany recently, stage by stage tracking, same day collection 3 day delivery, (actual carrier DHL), including insurance for about £35

Get a quote then close the page, you will get a 5% discount automatically.

Guess with insurance yours would be about £40 but you can get an instant quote with weight & dims on website.

http://www.worldwide-parcelservices.co.uk/parcel-to-europe

I just went to MBE and was told that it costs £78 to ship by Parcelforce and £12 for insurance (up to £500). Was told this is the cheapest reliable option. I suppose other services will be more expensive? Anyone has got any idea?

As mentioned above, try Interparcel. It would cost between £30 and £40 for a tenor, plus insurance of about £10

this may sound bizarre, but do you know any youth who'd fancy a free trip out there, that you could trust to deliver it? and could you get them a flight on a budget airline? I have no idea, I suspect it would turn out more expensive, but the peace of mind would be huge.
Where I used to work, we used to send all our important mail thus - with one of the younger (AKA cheaper) staff, on a Friday, so they could come home on the Sunday - guaranteed same day delivery, everyone happy :)

Back
Top Bottom