support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Seventh String

dooce

Locality
Daventry
I was looking for some links to help work out a horn part and came across this site, Seventh String, software which appears to offer the ability to identify and transcribe music from a recording. Not being much of a user of music software, I wondered if anyone else had any experience of it and whether it is worth investing in, as it could be very useful for our band.

http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

Thanks

This is "transcribe" dozens of mentions/threads.. personally I find it doesn't really live up to other peoples high praise, it certainly isn't a play recording here are your dots sir service!

It's great and I use it a lot. But it doesn't do any transcribing itself, just gives you tools to make the transcribing job a lot easier. Facilities like:
  • Marking sections, bars and beats
  • Varying the playback speed (e.g. slow down to 50% or 25%) without changing the pitch
  • Ability to loop selection sections for playback
  • Analysing the frequency content of selected sections
  • On-screen keyboard to check pitches
  • Ability to transpose for different instruments
  • Graphic equaliser to let you concentrate on specific frequency bands or blank out other bands
  • Phase cancelling to remove instruments/lines that are recorded in the middle of the mix

The guy who has developed it is very helpful as well.

Rhys

I use it a lot, but not just for transcribing, for me it's been great when I can't play along to the backing track because it's too fast. I use Transcribe to slow it down and it maintains the original pitch, then I just increase the tempo until I can play it at full speed.

Best wishes,

Chris

I totally agree with Rhys. Observe, however, that the PC and Mac versions are different, so you' ll have to buy a totally new program if you change. Very good software, though.
Yours
Baxterman

I totally agree with Rhys. Observe, however, that the PC and Mac versions are different, so you' ll have to buy a totally new program if you change. Very good software, though.
Yours
Baxterman

I recently changed from PC to MAC and the nice people at SeventhString gave me a new licence key for the MAC (I explained that I would NOT be using the PC again!!). If anyone else is doing the same - here is the link http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/transfer_os.html

Dave Mac.

I recently changed from PC to MAC and the nice people at SeventhString gave me a new licence key for the MAC (I explained that I would NOT be using the PC again!!). If anyone else is doing the same - here is the link http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/transfer_os.html

Dave Mac.

That's cool , some time ago I had a trial go on a Mac and was told I needed to purchase another liscence. Still hoping to get a Mac and will use this link

Dooce,
I've been using transcribe allot, very handy programme. I use it to playalong with, either playalong tracks or MP3's of original tunes which makes it much easier to nail a riff or pattern from anywhere, infact only last night I copied a riff from David Sandbourn (Tin Tin Deo) for alto, then soprano, was well pleased with myself, then nailed it going around the circle of 4ths, hadn't done that before, without transcribe's ability to repeat and slow down a short phrase like that would be much more difficult. Another thing you can also do, is to speed it up, forcing yourself to handle it faster then revert to normal speed and it becomes easier and you then have time to put feeling and some improv on it.
I've also taken sections out of tunes with audacity, saved it as an MP3 and then imported that into transcribe.

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-downloaded Transcribe and re-installed on my Mac with the new pass-code that I got from transcribe's developer, Andy Robinson. Works great. So, thanks for the tip, Dave.

Re-downloaded Transcribe and re-installed on my Mac with the new pass-code that I got from transcribe's developer, Andy Robinson. Works great. So, thanks for the tip, Dave.

Glad to help.

Dave.