PPT mouthpieces

Beginner serie 1v true tone

eb424

Hi does anyone know anything about the lower g# pearl key on this sax. The key seems to have no action but operates if i lift it. Im not sure how the action should be..

I think you are referring to the "G# trill key" on the lower stack. Typically that key is "unsprung" and floats up when you lift it. When you press down on the key it should open the G# key cup. See if you can follow the "path" of that mechanism up to where it makes contact with the G# key cup and see if there is something bent or missing. A close up photo of this area would help.

Hi Thanks all. I've what would you need a photo of exactly. The key lifts when I push the punky table g# otherwise I have to manually lift it for it to work. It has just been re padded but the guy didn't know about the operation of this key..

It’s as @Vetinari says:
The key does not do anything on its own.
However if you finger a G# then the key should rise, and if you then push it down it closes the G# hole.
So it can be used to trill between G# and G.

I don’t understand why this was considered useful.

Hi Thanks all. I've what would you need a photo of exactly. The key lifts when I push the punky table g# otherwise I have to manually lift it for it to work. It has just been re padded but the guy didn't know about the operation of this key..
Oops. I think I may have spoken too soon. It has been a while since I have worked on one of these. From your description it now appears as if the G# trill key on the RH stack closes rather than opens the G# key cup to produce the trill. You can check this by fingering G# and pressing down on the trill G# pearl.

[note to self: read previous responses before posting]

My theory is that a lot of the vaudeville and "novelty" music for saxophone in the 1920's and '30's were quite "flowery" and had a lot of embellishments like trills. Most trills on a saxophone are quite easy---except for those using the little finger of either hand. I suspect this solo literature was part of the reason so many of the saxophone models from that period had auxiliary trill fingerings for G# and Eb.

Hmm last one.. I've had the sax back from the overhaul for a couple of days. I noticed a squeeky. I seem to be hitting the high e palm key whilst pushing the G key down.. Will practice get me over this can anything be done with the key or will I need some longer fingers..

Hmm last one.. I've had the sax back from the overhaul for a couple of days. I noticed a squeeky. I seem to be hitting the high e palm key whilst pushing the G key down.. Will practice get me over this can anything be done with the key or will I need some longer fingers..
I have small hands and have had the same problem in the past. Practice. Curl your fingers and practice very slowly to build correct technique. You can overcome it.

My baritone has that G# trill key - really annoying and sometimes it hits the underside of my RH fingers when I press the LH G# key. I've actually considered removing it a couple of times when it's annoyed me, then decided just to live with it (and keep my RH fingers straighter).