• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Selmer Supreme alto (quick look)

Meh indeed, I listened today to an ad for a signature soprano and I couldn't imagine a reason for joy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFxG_zl4yTI
Damn... now you did it. I'll have to bring a soprano mouthpiece for the next one. Haven't seen the sopranos yet. Though my right thumb will likely suffer PTSD. Memories from my old VI. And on second thought, now that I see the detachable neck, I ain't goin' near it. Those connections always feel flimsy in my hands. God forbid I bend one...
 
Thomann they will have very good QC or else they will lose that contract. Hence I meant that any work at Thomann may be quite minimal
I bought a horn through G4M - the instrument comes in plastic, with bits to support the keywork... I don't believe anyone in the fulfillment center had a test blow or gave it a once over.
Over and above instrument QC; they know how to prep the instruments for transport from Factory to customer and have juicy contracts with DHL and the like so dispatching - and returns - is cheap. I'd bet the most economical things if there's a fault is to ship it straight back to the factory and send another from the warehouse... Thomann, G4M, Amazon etc. Are logistics companies after all.
 
I bought a horn through G4M - the instrument comes in plastic, with bits to support the keywork... I don't believe anyone in the fulfillment center had a test blow or gave it a once over.
Over and above instrument QC; they know how to prep the instruments for transport from Factory to customer and have juicy contracts with DHL and the like so dispatching - and returns - is cheap. I'd bet the most economical things if there's a fault is to ship it straight back to the factory and send another from the warehouse... Thomann, G4M, Amazon etc. Are logistics companies after all.
Returns are a massive cost factor for any company. Sure, they have different costs for shipping than John Doe but the hands-on time like checking after return and sorting out potential damage. It might not be as massive a cost factor compared to fashion shops, but still not negligible. We had somebody living next door, who routinely ordered boxes of clothes, kept one piece and sent the rest back. It is calculated into their business model but as a company you still don‘t appreciate such a behaviour. I just can‘t imagine that all low cost instruments that are returned are considered scrap metal.
 
Returns are a massive cost factor for any company
Every cost is a trade off.
Cost of QC on the horn, QC on the packaging, logistics, handling etc.

. I just can‘t imagine that all low cost instruments that are returned are considered scrap metal.
Didn't say that. I could imagine that companies like G4M and Thomann can negotiate easy returns policies with suppliers pushing the cost of handling returns back into the manufacturers, which would incentivise them to improve QC. Just sling returns onto a pallet, in a container...
 
My wife has a Ref 54 and I a Ref 36. I liked the Balanced Action sound of mine better than the Mark VI sound of hers. I've had a number of professional players play test them and they always pick the Ref 36. The Ref 54 is prettier but wow, I just go for the sound. I just looked at the prices new and OMG, how can anyone afford them now? Part of me wishes I'd just kept my matched set of Couf Superba Is. But there you have it, a classic case of GAS.
 
I am surprised about all these quality issues - NOT.

The difference here is when someone with Stephen’s skills and reputation states what he found. If I (or someone else on the forums) writes about what I’m seeing - some unknown amateur from the grumpy folks of the south - it’s easily (and perhaps rightfully) called out as Selmer bashing, trolling, hating, even if it is not.

I have learned on Selmers, have played Selmer horns for 3 decades, and know plenty other Selmer players and their horns. There are the most outstanding horns among them, but I don’t know of a single newly bought Selmer that could not be improved significantly out of the box in the last 30 years or so. There may be some of course, but the need of a setup is very common. They know, everyone knows and seems to have accepted. Why spend money on it? With a Supreme solid silver (gives me some shortness of breath) of course one would have hoped for a special service…
I am sorry for what has happened to this company. For sure the sales profit of solid silver Supremes is not ment to be invested in the distant future, others explained why.

And for Thomann? They’re all about the best price, which would be the opposite direction of paying good techs to invest real time in their products before shipment to the customer. Which is more expensive - a few returns or setting up every horn so it’s really good? I’m sure they have done the maths on this. We support this business by wanting the lowest prices. I think it is OK if we transfer the savings to our Saxdoc in order to be happier with our purchase and keep this important trade alive for the next generation!
 
Last edited:
I am surprised about all these quality issues - NOT.

The difference here is when someone with Stephen’s skills and reputation states what he found. If I (or someone else on the forums) writes about what I’m seeing - some unknown amateur from the grumpy folks of the south - it’s easily (and perhaps rightfully) called out as Selmer bashing, trolling, hating, even if it is not.

I have learned on Selmers, have played Selmer horns for 3 decades, and know plenty other Selmer players and their horns. There are the most outstanding horns among them, but I don’t know of a single newly bought Selmer that could not be improved significantly out of the box in the last 30 years or so. There may be some of course, but the need of a setup is very common. They know, everyone knows and seems to have accepted. Why spend money on it? With a Supreme solid silver (gives me some shortness of breath) of course one would have hoped for a special service…
I am sorry for what has happened to this company. For sure the sales profit of solid silver Supremes is not ment to be invested in the distant future, others explained why.

And for Thomann? They’re all about the best price, which would be the opposite direction of paying good techs to invest real time in their products before shipment to the customer. Which is more expensive - a few returns or setting up every horn so it’s really good? I’m sure they have done the maths on this. We support this business by wanting the lowest prices. I think it is OK if we transfer the savings to our Saxdoc in order to be happier with our purchase and keep this important trade alive for the next generation!
I can assure you - I often get accused of 'Brand XYZ bashing'.
I used to take it seriously, but then I noticed folks who'd accused me of such would subsequently praise a different review. Given that I apply the same standards to all reviews (with a suitable adjustment for price), it seemed to me that it was just fanboyism...so I stopped paying attention.

I feel it's true to say that just about any horn can be improved with an independent professional setup.
On something like, say, a top end Yani it might just be a matter of tweaking the action for a better response. On other horns it might require some tonehole work (hopefully light!). And then there are those which practically need rebuilding right out of the box.
But it's also true to say that the more you spend on a horn, the more you should expect not to need such services.

In the case of this particular Supreme it's not known if it was tweaked by the seller. I have my doubts...but they'll remain as much until I've seen other examples. I feel that's only fair.
However, as much as you would expect your expensive new horn to be 100% straight out of the box - the retailer will also want to make that assumption. I suspect there's a strategy. Horns above a certain price-point are expected to be good to go. Horns in the middle bracket will likely need a checkover - and horns at the lower end 'are what they are' and are left for the customer to point up any issues.
Let's face it, so few players really know whether a horn is working properly or not that any returns are likely to be limited to major disasters...or those that have been taken to a repairer and failed a post-purchase checkover.

Setting up a horn can be a very expensive business. To get the best out of that Supreme it would require a full strip-down. It's not gonna happen in a retailer's repair dept. For the most part a shop setup is going to involve a quick leak check, a few pad and action tweaks and a general inspection to ensure everything's where it ought to be and is in good condition.
Simply put it's a "Will it do?" service - with an eye firmly fixed on the meagre profit margin.

I suppose it could be said that my expectations are unrealistic - but they're based upon the best examples at a particular price point. As one manufacturer ups their game, the bar is raised - and so are my expectations, naturally. And I would expect the others to follow suit.
But then folks say that it'll put the prices up - but when have any of you ever bought a horn above beginner grade solely on the price? A brand X intermediate horn might cost, say, £1800 - a brand Y £1900. Your first choice is surely going to be about how the horn plays and feels (that's kinda the whole point, right?). But if it's a split-decision, what's going to persuade you to part with that extra £100? Finish, maybe? The case? Accessories? Or reliability and integrity of manufacture - AKA quality?
When you double or triple that purchase price you're even less likely to make a decision based on price because you've already got it into your head that a top-spec horn is gonna set you back 5 or 6 grand.
So no excuses - there absolutely IS room for manufacturers to go the extra mile.
 
Look at it this way - if you're going to spend £17,000 on a saxophone, what's spending another £1000 on a full strip down setup?
Two things come to mind. Some manufacturers can get it right for substantially less - so you have to ask what exactly it is that you're paying for.
Secondly, it still remains way cheaper for such work to be done during production - so not only are you overpaying, you're getting a slap in the face too. And paying for the privilege. Doesn't sound like a winning deal to me.
 
Then would buy a new car, for example, and be happy to pay extra for it to work as expected.
Because of the ultra high cost (relatively speaking) of new cars, all my cars except one have been good used models, to which then I put them to full use, accumulating many miles before buying another. Basically my musical instruments are with the same philosophy.
Two things come to mind. Some manufacturers can get it right for substantially less - so you have to ask what exactly it is that you're paying for.
It does seem a bit odd that "underdog" brands sold at a fraction of cost would get it right.

When I got my new Antigua Winds (Taiwan) BS3220LQ low-A bari in 2021 from Quinn the Eskimo, Seattle area ($2,370.59 US - discontinued 2014 model), it played right out of the box. Had all the manufacturer's blocking in place to mitigate any key damage in shipping. Also came in a deluxe hard case with wheels. Although billed as an intermediate model, it plays like a professional model.

Even my new budget Venus sop and tenor seemed well set up out of the box, $219 (2012) and $379 (2014) respectively. Yes, they come with a budget case. Using it quite regularly, I quickly wore out the sop's budget case. Went through 3 different zipper repair kits, then finally the zipper track failed. In 2019 I bought a much better Protec Pro Pac case ($109 from WWBW) for it and binned the original. Sop was serviced by Tarpley Music last year.
Secondly, it still remains way cheaper for such work to be done during production - so not only are you overpaying, you're getting a slap in the face too. And paying for the privilege. Doesn't sound like a winning deal to me.
Yes, for that amount of money expended one would expect that out of the box the sax would be extremely well adjusted, tuned, no further work necessary until it accumulated enough wear and tear to seek a proficient tech to service it.

Similar to cars, musical instruments in general heavily depreciate, I think one would be better off receiving such a pro model after a few years passed and buy it at a fraction of the new price. Then pay a tech to give it a thorough working over. IMO one is further ahead financially and musically.
 
My point is that I don't think anyone is going to buy one of these with value for money in mind.

While you absolutely can buy saxophones that play well out of the box, it doesn't seem to be something that modern Selmer saxophones feature, I find it very comparable to recent Otto Link mouthpieces where I can clearly see manufacturing inconsistencies from several feet away. You're expected to take it to an expert who can make it 'yours' by tailoring it to your needs.

How many people buy a very expensive car like a Lamborghini, Porsche or Bentley etc and then immediately send it to a customiser to make it unique before they've even sat in it.
 
When I got my new Antigua Winds (Taiwan) BS3220LQ low-A bari in 2021 from Quinn the Eskimo, Seattle area ($2,370.59 US - discontinued 2014 model), it played right out of the box. Had all the manufacturer's blocking in place to mitigate any key damage in shipping. Also came in a deluxe hard case with wheels. Although billed as an intermediate model, it plays like a professional model.

Even my new budget Venus sop and tenor seemed well set up out of the box, $219 (2012) and $379 (2014) respectively. Yes, they come with a budget case. Using it quite regularly, I quickly wore out the sop's budget case. Went through 3 different zipper repair kits, then finally the zipper track failed. In 2019 I bought a much better Protec Pro Pac case ($109 from WWBW) for it and binned the original. Sop was serviced by Tarpley Music last year.
I think it's worth differentiating between playing right out of the box and being 100%.

Most new horns work. You can blow all the way down to the Bb without too much effort. If there are any issues that prevent that it's more than likely there's something out of regulation (usually the G#). Fresh supple pads will readily take up most tonehole anomalies. So let's say that puts the horn at around 90-95% working. Plenty of player out there doing gigs on horns that are working less well than that.

That extra 5-10% adds a great deal of reliability in the long term and an appreciable improvement in both the feel and response of the horn. That in turn adds a sort of 'transparency' to it - nothing gets it the way. No uneven finger pressure needed, no slightly iffy notes, no hints of instability.

I suppose I like to think of it in terms of how much a good horn costs. Disregarding built quality etc. at what price point does a horn become 'good'? I could say my old YTS-23 fitted the bill, but let's set the bar a little higher. Say £2,500. That gets you a YTS-480. Might not be your cup of tea but it's undoubtedly a good horn...easily capable of being all the horn many folks will ever need.
So what are you getting when you pay more? More research and development? More hand-crafting? More precision? Or more snake oil? And what happens when you pay for it but don't get it?
 
My point is that I don't think anyone is going to buy one of these with value for money in mind.

While you absolutely can buy saxophones that play well out of the box, it doesn't seem to be something that modern Selmer saxophones feature, I find it very comparable to recent Otto Link mouthpieces where I can clearly see manufacturing inconsistencies from several feet away. You're expected to take it to an expert who can make it 'yours' by tailoring it to your needs.

How many people buy a very expensive car like a Lamborghini, Porsche or Bentley etc and then immediately send it to a customiser to make it unique before they've even sat in it.
I take the point but it really doesn't have to be that way. We are, quite literally, talking about another £100 or so of factory time to turn out a horn that's 100%.
On a three grand horn that's about 3% of the cost. It's practically nothing. On that Selmer it would have been less than 1% (it was bloomin' expensive).

I also get the point about customisation - but that's a consumer choice. A bit like sending your horn off to have it engraved.
If you have to pay extra to meet the functionality it ought to have come with, that's a very different matter.
 
It’s worth mentioning here that other woodwind instruments are, relatively speaking, much more expensive than saxophones. You think a Selmer Supreme is too much? That price point is where pro-level flutes start. Good intermediate flutes, suitable for a university student, are in the $5K-$6K range. For that money I can buy a brand new top-line Eastman saxophone (that will likely outplay the Supreme, BTW).

Of course, market forces rule. As musicians, our interests are in quality and performance. As businesses, manufacturers must pay attention to the bottom line. But it seems to me that there is a disconnect between what Selmer is doing and the needs of the musicians who are their customers. That is not a good sign.
 
I also get the point about customisation - but that's a consumer choice. A bit like sending your horn off to have it engraved.
If you have to pay extra to meet the functionality it ought to have come with, that's a very different matter.
Yes I get the point but not the initial analogy with cars - presumably the cars all worked from the get - go (well, maybe not the Lambo...).
I don't agree with people saying that it's all about the accountants and they don't care what they churn out. Some arguably don't, but Selmer are (again, arguably) sat atop the pile of manufacturers with regard to top pros speaking well of them. They can't want that to slip, and at some point it will as not all top players will be famous enough when they first buy a horn to get that bit of extra treatment "yes Mr Potter, when would you like to choose a saxophone from our workshop in Paris ?". Or; Mr Youngster New Big Star; I bought a Supreme when I was 12 and it didn't play right out of the box, so I moved to a Yani".

I'm not saying that Selmer sit atop the pile as making the best instruments, merely that most top pros are probably playing them and that's the players that will get their comments repeated all over t'internet. Perhaps most of them are still playing Mk6's. Is that still true once all of the top players aged 60+ are gone ? Don't know. But haven't yet seen a top player playing a Supreme, and not many on series 3 etc. Perhaps it's more true in the classical list of players, but I somehow doubt it.
 
I suppose I like to think of it in terms of how much a good horn costs. Disregarding built quality etc. at what price point does a horn become 'good'? I could say my old YTS-23 fitted the bill, but let's set the bar a little higher. Say £2,500. That gets you a YTS-480. Might not be your cup of tea but it's undoubtedly a good horn...easily capable of being all the horn many folks will ever need.
If I were a younger man, figuring I would keep such a sax for a while, yes, to spend a bit more for the joy of playing would make sense.

However with venue of community band saxist in retirement, church musician on keys with occasional sax playing, hobbyist with portable backing band at nursing homes, busking venues with fund raisers with the Salvation Army, and occasional local combo band involvement, I can make nearly any sax play and as such don't have the need for a "better" sax. With it recently serviced, my LeBlanc 7133T Jupiter Vito (appears to be a JTS-689 equiv.) has a really nice subtone and all I need. I am not recording for a record label or backing band member for a celebrity concert where a camera zooms in to highlight the name on the bell for name brand advertising.

You folk in Europe have a slightly better pricing advantage than we here in US. However I don't know if VAT or UK equiv. puts those nearer our price. For example, that very nice YTS-480 is $4,142 US (£3,125) in silver plate. These are our costs before applicable local taxes and transportation.
Yamaha YTS-480 Intermediate Bb Tenor Saxophone Tenor Saxophone Silver
Sweetwater has the basic brass lacquer finish for $3,822 (£2,884). Expect to pay about $400 more if buying through a local music store.

At these prices, hypothetically I would spend a bit more for a
Yamaha YTS-62III Professional Tenor Saxophone Lacquered
at $4,744 (£3,580).

I was a bit surprised that the YTS-26 follow on to the YTS-23
Yamaha YTS-26 Standard Tenor Saxophone Lacquer with Nickel Keys
is $3,774 (£2,848) lacks the altissimo F# key. (Really a mute point because I find the alternate altissimo fingering to be easier to use.) $100 more gets the YTS-480, $1,000 more gets the pro model.
So what are you getting when you pay more? More research and development? More hand-crafting? More precision? Or more snake oil? And what happens when you pay for it but don't get it?
I think what we see when one does not get the appropriate value for the more expensive, but is left to get it through other means like pay extra to a competent tech, is increased buyer resistance. Gauging by the comments I've read from various pros, they filled the void with other pro level instruments and moved on.
 
I feel it's true to say that just about any horn can be improved with an independent professional setup.
No doubt. Nevertheless, among the brands considered top 3 in the last decades, Selmer has gained the reputation that their horns require more attention than others, which seems to be in line with my non-systematic observations over many years.
I suspect there's a strategy. Horns above a certain price-point are expected to be good to go.
I’d put it another way. The not so renowned tech at Thomann is told to better keep his hands off the 10k + x horns if he doesn’t want to get in trouble.
I suppose it could be said that my expectations are unrealistic - but they're based upon the best examples at a particular price point. As one manufacturer ups their game, the bar is raised - and so are my expectations, naturally. And I would expect the others to follow suit.
I think that the “perfect setup” either doesn’t pay off for the manufacturers, or, even more likely, decisionmakers believe that setup is an expense that will not pay off.

They can't want that to slip, and at some point it will as not all top players will be famous enough when they first buy a horn to get that bit of extra treatment
Yeah, one would think so. But then there is that private equity thing. See it from an investor’s perspective. You have put a decent amount of cash in a PE firm. You don’t really care that much about their investments. Selmer? Never heard of it. Saxophones? Those shiny things like Glenn Miller played on? You want to see your money growing more than in your favourite ETF, i.e. after 5 years you want to see your money at least 1.5 times or doubled. For the bankers of the firm this means some pressure, if they also want to earn something (which they usually do).
 
I think that the “perfect setup” either doesn’t pay off for the manufacturers, or, even more likely, decisionmakers believe that setup is an expense that will not pay off.
I go for the thought that the organization doesn't have the mindset for a zero error production strategy. They have to start a Swiss factory to do that.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,263
Messages
576,144
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom