Saxophones Selmer Supreme

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Has anyone tried this new model?

Selmer Supreme Alto

Of course they claim it's the best thing ever...

Now, Selmer has a new owner/investor so they need to kick start their product line. Is this a good start?

I'm curious. Is this finally the replacement for the legendary MK6 many have been waiting for or is the icon irreplaceable? Some kind of unattainable perfection that is no longer achievable.

If you have had a chance to try it, let us know.

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Clearly this horn is a no go, there is no place for a Klangbogen.

Seriously it does look good, hefty price though at £6000.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
The clamping ring of the socket is made of nickel silver, which brings density to this sensitive area.

That sold it to me, obviously nobody thought if this before. Now I just want some density brought to my sensitive
ring socket area.

As if that wasn't enough:

The grease stick is marked with the Supreme engraving pattern.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Wow, they've really gone to town....with the marketing.

OK, can't see an awful lot from the (impressive) video - but here's what I've spotted.
The only real technical innovation (tonehole size/placement and bore geometry notwithstanding) is that they've moved the top C# auxiliary tonehole to the front of the body (it was on the rear in the Series III).
And...er...that's it.

Not really sure why there was so much fanfare about the 'pinky' keys...as far as I can see it just looks like a standard tilting table. Maybe it moves in other directions?
Teflon tubes in the octave mech? It's about time...other manufacturers have been doing this for quite some time, as have many repairers.
F# helper arm? ****, doesn't every Ultra-Cheap horn have one of these?
Redesigned front top F touchpiece. Clearly taking a cue from Yamaha/Yanagisawa.
Concentric three-point crook clamp. Nice idea - I've been a big fan of a multi-split socket with a rotating clamp....ever since I saw one on an SML bari from the '70s - though it had four splits rather than just three.

And if it still features the sprung point screws I'm going to point at it and laugh.

I'd like to think that there's some real innovation behind it (I really would) - but the specs above kinda make me feel that someone spent half a day in a second-hand sax store, writing down all the really cool feature they spotted. And Selmer's reputation hasn't been helped by a succession of 'limited edition' models that have basically been all about the bling. And they're still at it.

But hey, the proof is in the playing...so we shall see.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
The only real technical innovation (tonehole size/placement and bore geometry notwithstanding) is that they've moved the top C# auxiliary tonehole to the front of the body
How about:

• Redefinition of the key heights for a greater homogeneity of timbre.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Translation: We raised the height of the keys by shaving a nadge off the corks. That'll be several hundred quid, guv.

No, I think they really must have redefined key heights.

It used to be the distance of the key from the tonehole.

It has been redefined so instead, it is the distance of the tonehole from the key.

Seems like a very very subtle difference, but a huge homogeneity.

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Anyone with strong connections to Selmer to organize a pass around ? :confused2:

That way we could separate the fantasies from the truth and hear what it sounds like. Looking good and feeling nice under the fingers are valuable extras but what really matters is the sound.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
How is the saxophone manufactoring business doing these days? How was it "yesterday" and what will the future bring? Off topic. Sorry for that.

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
No need for a separate Klangbogen - it’s built-in.
Yes it seems even Selmer have joined the bandwagon but have resisted calling it a mass weight innovation to improve tone and called it adding density which is more subtle.
I have never understood why these products get produced and how players seem to fall for them, I personal have better things to buy than one of these.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Yes it seems even Selmer have joined the bandwagon but have resisted calling it a mass weight innovation to improve tone and called it adding density which is more subtle.
I have never understood why these products get produced and how players seem to fall for them, I personal have better things to buy than one of these.
It's still a load of hogwash.
The original Selmer crook clamp was nickel silver - and because it housed the lyre holder it was a reasonably chunky piece of metal. And it was soldered on.
So, more nickel silver and some lead...I make that more mass and more density than the new design.

selmer Mkvi socket small.jpg

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Where will they go next to try and make our wallets/purses light and our saxes heavier maybe produce a weight to fit on our horns that contains some elements from a neutron star, so heavy we can't pick it up but hey your tone will be out of this world.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom