support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Selmer Series II in the 90's

Saxodent

What ever happened to Selmer's range of White Lacquer Saxes?
I remember once seeing some of Sax Appeal playing on what looked like a range of Bathroom fittings!!!
Are they now "unlacquered" and "retro" or still hiding in a wardrobe along with the clothes they were wearing then!!
Any photos would be good for a laugh
And yes I did say Selmer.!!!

Ornette Coleman played a white lacquered Selmer alto with low A - maybe to remind him and the audience of the Grafton he used to play. I think it looks good.

Rhys

Attachments

• Ornette with white Selmer low A.jpg
    Ornette with white Selmer low A.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 341
And don't forget the pink saxes!! Where did they go? A.C. Reed (Jr Wells, Albert Collins, Steve Ray Vaughan, Bonnie Riatt ..) was on his CD "Junk Food" with a pink tenor. He blew a mean and raw bluessax, maybe on a pink tenor?

Thomas

View attachment 720

I think Venus still do pink ones, if that's what you're after >:)

One thing's for sure, anyone playing a pink one had better be good, or a comedian.

No pink saxes for me! BTW, yesterday I bought my first blacklaquered sax with "gold" keys. A nice "The New King" by Keilwerth from late 70's or early 80's. Been in the closet for the last 25 years so it need som care and work.

Thomas

No pink saxes for me! BTW, yesterday I bought my first blacklaquered sax with "gold" keys. A nice "The New King" by Keilwerth from late 70's or early 80's. Been in the closet for the last 25 years so it need som care and work.

Thomas

Guessed not. Was tempted for a laugh, but I can't play well enough to carry it off. Otherwise I'd be waxing lyrical about the composition of the lacquer and the density of the pink pigment(and not the black, green or whatever other colour you can think of) building the core sound, helping to focus it whilst still leaving a lot of warmth.... You get the picture.

White Series II Tenor

I remember seeing Mornington Locket at the Tulse Hill Tavern with Jim Mullen with the white beast: I bet he's still got it in his cupboard (together with with his various Mk6s!!!).

I prefer regular lacquer myself, especially the old dark honey gold lacquer, but I always thought the black lacquer & gold keys looked pretty sharp. I just figured over time scratches & stuff would show up really bad on the black lacquer vs the regular; never really did like the white, however, were someone to give me one I would gladly take it & play it.

Back
Top Bottom