support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Selmer Cigar cutter Alto

From what distance?

(Altitude, precipitation and wind speed might need to be factored too)

Basically can I use any octave pad,or would I have to find a specific size? I’m readying the sax,(very reluctantly) for sale and I’ve found that the octave pad is damaged

Not very hard at all.
The critical factor is getting the thickness of the pad right because it'll have an impact on where the ring of the crook key sits in relationship to the pin key. This may mean having to bend the crook key slightly.
You'll also need to get a pad of the correct diameter. You can fit an undersized one if that's all you can get hold of, but an oversized one will be more of a challenge. If I remember rightly it should be a 9mm pad.
As for gluing it in - ideally you'd want to use shellac or hot melt glue, but you can get away with using a contact adhesive for a pad this small.

More details about the ring/pin relationship can be found here:

@Stephen Howard You don't mention the Sugru alternative. I've also used cork rather successfully. :D Just plain natural cork from a wine bottle, simply cut to the right size but I glued it with shellac.

Yep, you can use Sugru if you have any to hand:

Likewise, a wine cork will do...but you have to look for a nice piece that's free from cracks and crevices...or a synthetic one. Takes a while to cut it to size/shape too (at least neatly).

Not very hard at all.
The critical factor is getting the thickness of the pad right because it'll have an impact on where the ring of the crook key sits in relationship to the pin key. This may mean having to bend the crook key slightly.
You'll also need to get a pad of the correct diameter. You can fit an undersized one if that's all you can get hold of, but an oversized one will be more of a challenge. If I remember rightly it should be a 9mm pad.
As for gluing it in - ideally you'd want to use shellac or hot melt glue, but you can get away with using a contact adhesive for a pad this small.

Thank you
Not very hard at all.

Thank you

When replacing that pad (or others) it is helpful to take note of the pad "protrusion" beyond the key cup of the original pad and try to match that with the replacement pad.

Back
Top Bottom