SYOS

Saxophones Saxophone shops

rhysonsax

I'm looking to try a Sop to quench my curiosity and probably instigate a terrible bout of GAS. Unfortunately, there aren't any well stocked music shops with a wide variety of instruments available in my area.

I called one store in Southampton and they had quite a poor range of sops, but I just wanted to try one to see how I got on. The guy I spoke with on the phone was all well and good but he joked that if he couldn't sell me a sop he'd sell me an Alto instead. Kind of put me off going in as even if the guy was kidding around, I don't want to be sold anything! Sax.co.uk were really relaxed when I visited there, but it's a long way to travel. I think Dawkes is the closest decent shop to me, but that's an hour and af half away.
I don't know where you are in Hampshire, but if you can get an off-peak train up to Waterloo, sax.co.uk isn't far by foot or taxi.

Rhys

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I don't know where you are in Hampshire, but if you can get an off-peak train up to Waterloo, sax.co.uk isn't far by foot or taxi.

Rhys
Yes, you're right, Rhys. The move has benefited trains coming in at Waterloo. It's a good point and might be worth an excuse for a day trip. Although any trip to London would no doubt become a Family day out, costing a fortune and about 3 seconds to 'pop in' to a Sax shop :p

sax panther

Subscriber
was the Southampton shop Hayes? If so, they're actually really nice in there. I went in to buy a couple of reeds, and the guy let me have a go on a TJ RAW tenor (probably the priciest horn they have in there) even though I had no intention of buying it (It was very nice, by the way....). They don't have a massive range though. As Rhys says, it's worth going to London. Doesn't have to be a family trip if you book a secret day off work and travel after 09:30 to get the £35 ticket...

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
was the Southampton shop Hayes? If so, they're actually really nice in there. I went in to buy a couple of reeds, and the guy let me have a go on a TJ RAW tenor (probably the priciest horn they have in there) even though I had no intention of buying it (It was very nice, by the way....). They don't have a massive range though. As Rhys says, it's worth going to London. Doesn't have to be a family trip if you book a secret day off work and travel after 09:30 to get the £35 ticket...
Yes, it was. It was where I got my Tenor from, so haven't had an issue in the past, apart from the frustratingly low stock level. I'll probably pop in there at some point but the only Sop they have in is an Odyssey, so not many options.

I work from Home quite often, so a Secret trip isn't too tricky ;)

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Are either of the shops in Bristol any use? Trevor James, or Headwind; or make a day of it and go to one of the Sax.co.uk shops?

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Yes, you're right, Rhys. The move has benefited trains coming in at Waterloo. It's a good point and might be worth an excuse for a day trip. Although any trip to London would no doubt become a Family day out, costing a fortune and about 3 seconds to 'pop in' to a Sax shop :p
Tell your family it’s not very nice in London at the moment and you’ll treat them to a wonderful day out another time, somewhere else.

Weasel

+1 for Howarth. Spent some time trying out vintage horns there while on business a while back, and they were very friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable. Didn't get a horn, but bought a few boxes of reeds for their trouble.
I bought my first two oboes and my cor from them and they were brilliant. First time I was a novice so had no idea what I was looking for so the pro tried them with me and helped me pick the best one for me, the second and third times I had a much better idea but they were still super-helpful and let me take as long as I liked. I bought an inordinate number of reeds too! (For the record, I really hate oboe reeds...)
It hadn't crossed my mind that they also do saxophones, I was so double-reed-focussed at the time. Might need to go to London...

NewSax

Or I could tell them it's just not very nice in London at the moment and end it there >:):p Leave more resources for potential GAS exploration!
Not sure where you are in Hants
I drove to Basingstoke masses of trains to London Waterloo. Sax.co.uk just about 6 mins walk from Waterloo. They were super helpful to me when I was choosing my alto. Especially JC who made me feel very comfortable even though I could not play. I could get the feel of the saxes and make a choice. He gave me a great deal of help and it was almost like having a lesson. I was able to give them all a try in one of the practice rooms. I was very self conscious , I cannot fault the service and courtesy I got from the guys at Sax co.uk. The total trip was four hours door to door. I lost all sense of time. In the shop I was like a kid in a sweet shop with all these wonderful shiny things

griff136

You could also try www.justflutes.com AKA Jonathan Myall Music in Croydon, lots of saxophones in stock new and pre owned. Yanagisawa, Yamaha, Selmer, Mauriat, Trevor James Raw etc pre owned Mark6's, modern horns and vintage selmers etc and even 2 Bass saxes.
and if you need a tweak I work there on Thursdays!

Top Bottom