support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophone photos

thomsax

For 30 years ago I had a small business that sold saxes, books, records, accessories ..... . It was a very small business directed to Rock & Roll Saxophone. For some days ago I was looking for old pictures of my saxes. I took 4-8 photos of the saxes. I had a Nikon EM. So if a person was interested in 3 saxes I put 15-18 photos in an envelope and mailed them. The guys who wanted info were often living on the countryside. I remember one guy who lived up in the real north. He had an old tenor and was looking for "new" one. I recommeded him to replace some pads, buy a new mouthpiece and ligature. He also liked Rock & Roll Saxophone. I sold John Laughter's books ("Rock and Roll Saxophone" and "Contempoary Saxophone") to him. He had a Hi-Fi with CC player. For some years I mailed him lots of CC's with rocksax music. He reorded himself on a CC and he was good. He was around 60 years old back then ..... . I really miss this way to do "business". I never made any profit.

Today we spend lots of time talking about fake saxes, bad saxes, what we have read on internet ..... . The photos below shows a late Conn Artist 6M -57 and a King Student -75, model 615K. I never wrote that the saxes were the same as Conn 6M from the 30's without rolled tones or same as King Super 20 with bell keys on left side ........ .
fotosax.JPG

Thanks Tom! :clapping:
Your books were my best selling items!!! I bought them directly from Centerstream Pub. in CA. Here in Sweden I could buy Steve Dougklas VHS video " Rock & Roll Saxophone in the early 90's and later Tim Price "Hot Rock Sax" (1996?). But your books came with CC's, first book with play along, and there were also some recommended listening as well on the CC's ;. Myanna, Jenny Hill, The Burning Brass. Don Wise, Jay Davidson. I found Don Wise through your book. I have heard Wise on Delbert McClinton's recording "Live From Austin". And Alligator Records in Chicago gave me a hint to search in TN. I found him and he had just released his first CD!!! A good person and saxplayer. Here is a photo , backstage at Posten Live in Odense, Denmark. Don Wise a "The Martin Tenor" player.
DONTFPOSTEN.jpg

Wow Tom you just made my day. Love the photo. Thanks :clapping: Don Wise was very helpful in getting permission to use several examples of his solos from the "Live From Austin" CD in the book. Delbert was fine with it. He said it might help to sell a few more CD's. Likewise with Myanna, Jenny Hill, The Burning Brass, Jay Davidson and Scott Page.

The publisher and I were very fortunate that everyone was so easy to work with in putting the material together. No egos or nonsense. And "Rock & Roll Saxophone-2nd edition" is still out there after all these years.

I saw Don at two Delbert concerts. Of course the band was always sounding great. Don finally retired from road work and is living in Tenn from what I have heard. Not sure what he is doing these days with music.

I caught Jay Davidson at a Cinderella concert in Atlanta many years ago. He told me to bring ear plugs
Smile
Their hit record "Shelter Me" is what led me to Jay. Scott was with Pink Floyd at the time. Also met Jenny Hill in Atlanta. She was playing in a combo for a traveling circus. Real nice lady.

At any rate I appreciate your support. Maybe you can start pushing my 53 year old 45rpm which was recently reissued on MD Records in England......:sax:just kidding!

@thomsax are your photos diapositives or negatives?

The reason I ask is that I recently purchased a cheap scanner for diapositives (from Lidl) and it works a treat!

I have hundreds of diapositives my dad took over the years and I started digitalizing them to my younger sister's delight. My older siblings don't seem to care that much...

The scanner can also process negatives but it's far more time consuming and the results are not as good. IMHO. Processing negatives probably requires a higher priced device with a motorized input for efficiency.

Digitalizing your photos would be great, especially if you shared them! ;)

Perhaps an organized gallery would be a nice addition to the forum. Actually, I think it would be a great addition, provided members contribute to keeping it organized. @Pete Thomas is that a completely wild idea?

Perhaps an organized gallery would be a nice addition to the forum. Actually, I think it would be a great addition, provided members contribute to keeping it organized. @Pete Thomas is that a completely wild idea?
No but when we did have a gallery it was an extra level of complication which not many people used

Might be more useful to contribute here perhaps?

Sure! I didn't realize it had so much in it

Although I'd say it could be improved from a search point of view. Organizing images is not an easy thing to do.

But even then I was able to find one of my horns. I didn't contribute the pictures, but it's mine with the exact serial! The rather unique case was a giveaway. It's the XX Century Hawkes & son soprano. Before I overhauled it.

The reason I ask is that I recently purchased a cheap scanner for diapositives (from Lidl) and it works a treat!
I think I have one. The photos/pictures was just a way keep up the interst and it was before internet. But it worked.
Digitalizing your photos would be great, especially if you shared them! ;)
Yes. I know. Sharing a bad photo is one thing sharing a picture is another thing. I was a sharing person until the day I found my charts/sheet music on a sheet music site that sold , traded ..... . I've paid a guy in USA to do horn arrangments and then I give it to a guy that sells it. Not fair aginst me or the guy in USA that earn his living with making transcribing music.

Not sure what he is doing these days with music.
Many years ago since I had contact with DW. But I think he into gardening, chillis, herbst and cooking. He is a YT clip from a blues jam.
View: https://youtu.be/3tH_cPt6a3k

Maybe you can start pushing my 53 year old 45rpm which was recently reissued on MD Records in England......:sax:just kidding!
Yes I've seen that on FB. Maybe you should come over here with your sax and your records. A John Laughter package you can't resist. "Two days RockSax Workshop including John Laughters books and MD single". Back to the sax for sleeping honkers. ;) Your MD single can be bought from UK as well?

Last edited:
"Your MD single can be bought from UK as well?"

Thanks Tom! A 53 year old reissue. Tom I would really like to make it over for a workshop. That would be a lot of fun to trade ideas and meet others who enjoy the Rock & Roll Sax style(s). Maybe one day.
:sax:

Hey Tom, I just found out that the last 200 copies of the initial 500 45rpm's are going to be sold in the U.K., Germany and Japan. Thanks MD Records! Some were sold in the U.S. as well :clapping: I guess the dancers still like the old school Rock & Roll :thumb: Turn up the bass!!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11i0au3IbnM