support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Saxophone neck shape question

Ozan Ayten

Locality
Turkey
Hi there,

My question is should Saxophone's neck pipe shape should be as " O " or it should like same as the picture I took.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2z7lcmt.jpg

I mean, saxophone shape is like " 0 " not correctly oval as " O " is that a problem ? if it's I'll get new one from shop which I bought this.

I didn't had free time lately after I bought my sax, I just had time to inspect it properly. I hope I don't find any faults than this.

I'd say that's wrong and a potential problem. To me it should be round to match the mouthpiece otherwise it won't seal properly. I'm sure someone with more 'technical' knowledge will be along soon to either confirm or call me a complete numpty...

Just out of curiosity does the mouthpiece fit?

Hi there,

My question is should Saxophone's neck pipe shape should be as " O " or it should like same as the picture I took.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2z7lcmt.jpg

I mean, saxophone shape is like " 0 " not correctly oval as " O " is that a problem ? if it's I'll get new one from shop which I bought this.

I didn't had free time lately after I bought my sax, I just had time to inspect it properly. I hope I don't find any faults than this.

Hi Ozan, it should be like an O.

Both the opening of the neck and the tenon of the saxophone neck where it fits into the body should be perfectly round for mechanical reasons, if not acoustical ones as well. Something like the flattened neck opening pictured above is easily fixed by inserting gradually larger steel rods and tapping around the outside with a rawhide or delrin mallet. I use the butt ends of drills from a drill index to accomplish this task.

Something like the flattened neck opening pictured above is easily fixed by inserting gradually larger steel rods and tapping around the outside with a rawhide or delrin mallet. I use the butt ends of drills from a drill index to accomplish this task.

I get the impression this is how the OP bought it, in which case probably better to take it back and try to get it replaced. Though great tip for future reference.

I'd say that's wrong and a potential problem. To me it should be round to match the mouthpiece otherwise it won't seal properly. I'm sure someone with more 'technical' knowledge will be along soon to either confirm or call me a complete numpty...

Just out of curiosity does the mouthpiece fit?

Yes it does fit, i can produce sound but since I'm very newbie I can't be sure about quality of sound.

Hi Ozan, it should be like an O.

Thank you for info Griff.

Both the opening of the neck and the tenon of the saxophone neck where it fits into the body should be perfectly round for mechanical reasons, if not acoustical ones as well. Something like the flattened neck opening pictured above is easily fixed by inserting gradually larger steel rods and tapping around the outside with a rawhide or delrin mallet. I use the butt ends of drills from a drill index to accomplish this task.

Hello, thanks for the explanation. But should I change the Saxophone with the new one from shop ? I just bought it few days ago.

And yes TheCureFan, I just bought it few days ago , also it's not 2nd hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you get it sorted. At least with a new one you'll know it's right.

If you communicate with the shop by email, add John Packer as a cc. they are usually very helpful.

Yes, get the shop to replace the neck. It shouldn't/mustn't be like this. Check carefully for other damage!

that neck is obviously damaged .
If its a brand new one from out of the box then it would seem it has sliped through quality control.
If its a cheap chinese one then it probably didnt even make it to quality control.
I would definately be asking for a replacement unit but but does it have any obvious marks on the outside to
indicate that it may have been squashed after final production.
What brand is your saxophone.
I hope you bought it from a reputable dealer?
Allansto.

that neck is obviously damaged .
If its a brand new one from out of the box then it would seem it has sliped through quality control.
If its a cheap chinese one then it probably didnt even make it to quality control.
I would definately be asking for a replacement unit but but does it have any obvious marks on the outside to
indicate that it may have been squashed after final production.
What brand is your saxophone.
I hope you bought it from a reputable dealer?
Allansto.

Thanks for posts people,

Allansto, it's John Packer JP045 but I bought it from a dist. so I don't think they will make fuss about this. I'll call them soon

Edit:

I called the shop, they accepted to check it I'm going to bring my sax to there in few minutes.

Hey guys,

Thanks for tips and infos, dealer will bring new neck tomorrow then I will get it. We also inspected Saxophone body but fortunately we ain't spot any fault on the body. :)

Back
Top Bottom