All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Beginner Saxophone blues instruction material in the wrong keys?

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
Looks to me like you need 8 keys facility to cover the 6 concert keys on both alto and tenor:

E: C# alto F# tenor
A: F# alto B tenor
C: A alto D tenor
G: E alto A tenor
F: D alto G tenor
Bb: G alto C tenor

So you need command in the following keys:

C#, F#, A, E, D, G, B, C.
Yes, for BOTH alto and tenor. But 4 can get me started. Then all 8 like you say once I get the first 4 under my belt. Gotta crawl before I can run.

Last edited:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I was a bit worried when a number of posts back there was a reference to something being in A# minor... I suspect Bb minor is rather more likely, unless utterly masochistic... I suppose it could be worse, could be B# minor, or really scary, B# major.... (for harmonic language reasons, these keys theoretically exist, in reality you'd probably do an enharmonic switch to stop people freaking out with a key signature that contains multiple double sharps)

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Yes, for BOTH alto and tenor. But 4 can get me started. Then all 8 like you say once I get the first 4 under my belt. Gotta crawl before I can run.
Concert Ab was a key that many oldtime honkres played in. Bb on tenor. And that's a great key because the tenor sax sounds great in this key. Jr Walker was offen in concert Ab (Bb on tenor). Bb bluesscale: Bb, Db, Eb, E, F, Ab.
View: https://youtu.be/2qGv7jGUm5Q

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
Concert Ab was a key that many oldtime honkres played in. Bb on tenor. And that's a great key because the tenor sax sounds great in this key. Jr Walker was offen in concert Ab (Bb on tenor). Bb bluesscale: Bb, Db, Eb, E, F, Ab.
View: https://youtu.be/2qGv7jGUm5Q
Thanks. I've heard a rumor that he sometimes performed Shotgun in Ab live. Possibly the tunes Night Train and Stormy Monday Blues were also performed in Ab sometimes. Seems like a good opportunity to honk that low Bb on tenor.

When I was a kid on the farm in the 60s I remember picking up WLS Chicago on my AM radio in the early morning from atmospheric bounce and hearing Jr Walker for the first time. Hearing artists like Jr Walker, King Curtis, Howlin Wolf, Lester Young, etc. on what would have been the tail end of the late night Chicago music shows was my first exposure to music beyond the local top 40 AM stations and I was hooked.

Staff online

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom