All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Beginner Saxophone blues instruction material in the wrong keys?

LostCircuits

Locality
Black Forest
Peter Green wrote a lot if his stuff in Dmin which is one of my favorite blues keys and switching between keys in a blues is very common, just listen to Coleman Hawkins Soul Blues at 7:40 where the blues backing stays in D but he goes off into (sorry, I don't remember which one exactly) a different key.

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
Peter Green wrote a lot if his stuff in Dmin which is one of my favorite blues keys and switching between keys in a blues is very common, just listen to Coleman Hawkins Soul Blues at 7:40 where the blues backing stays in D but he goes off into (sorry, I don't remember which one exactly) a different key.
That was really interesting when he did that. Was he playing some other major pentatonic over D or something?

Since you are familiar with Peter Green, B. B. King was very fond of his playing and said he "had the sweetest tone I've ever heard." His cover of B. B. Kings I Need Your Love So Bad is awesome.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2ek7WkQ

LostCircuits

Locality
Black Forest
That was really interesting when he did that. Was he playing some other major pentatonic over D or something?

Since you are familiar with Peter Green, B. B. King was very fond of his playing and said he "had the sweetest tone I've ever heard." His cover of B. B. Kings I Need Your Love So Bad is awesome.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2ek7WkQ

Yes, I am very familiar with Peter Green, after his exodus from music and working as an undertaker, he toured for awhile as Peter Greenbaum in small venues until he made his comeback. I saw him live in Munich and it was hands down the worst concert ever, the band showed up 2 hours late, they were all so stoned that they couldn't agree on either key or tempo of any of the songs they played and I think it was 5 times that they had to start over on Black Magic woman. But there were some sweet parts of the concert, only there was nobody left to listen :confused2:

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
Yes, I am very familiar with Peter Green, after his exodus from music and working as an undertaker, he toured for awhile as Peter Greenbaum in small venues until he made his comeback. I saw him live in Munich and it was hands down the worst concert ever, the band showed up 2 hours late, they were all so stoned that they couldn't agree on either key or tempo of any of the songs they played and I think it was 5 times that they had to start over on Black Magic woman. But there were some sweet parts of the concert, only there was nobody left to listen :confused2:
Sad, what drugs and mental illness did to him. It all started at a party in Munich.

LostCircuits

Locality
Black Forest
Sad, what drugs and mental illness did to him. It all started at a party in Munich.
To me, he was still the quintessential Fleetwood Mac. Everything starting with Rumors was good but not what I associated with Fleetwood Mac. Oh Well was the song that got me started with playing guitar, followed by Albatross, Man of the world etc. And his later solo albums with titles like In the Skies and Slabo Days would stay on my turntable for months at the time. Then came a time when I all but forgot about him (and almost music in general - life happens) but whenever I think I came up with a really cool riff on the tenor sax, it turns out that something very similar is buried somewhere in Peter Green's music. Aside from Al di Meola and Eddie Money probably the most influential musician in my life

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
To me, he was still the quintessential Fleetwood Mac.
That was a magical period. I think the most under-appreciated musician in the early Fleetwood Mac was Danny Kirwan, though. His sense of harmony was magical - both harmonizing his guitar with Peter and the two Bobs as well as harmonizing vocals with Christine.

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
Who would have thought 12 bars with 3 chords would stimulate so much discussion? :rolleyes:
Colin, jazzers and blues enthusiasts are different breeds. To blues enthusiasts, its not all about running chords. There is a century-long tradition that may be even more rooted in harmonica (the Mississippi saxophone) than the brass one. I've heard the term "blues sensibility" used for players like Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Lester Young, Johnny Hodges, Benny Carter and Cannonball Adderley who were somehow rooted in that blues tradition and had something that some other jazz players lacked.

John Setchell

Locality
Norfolk UK
I saw the original Fleetwood Mac a few times, the mention of the name always makes me think of this as well.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qjlq0p1-1Y
I played bass in a band that supported Fleetwood Mac in Norwich. Green and the guys were lovely - McVie let me use his Marshall rig to avoid moving kit about.
The newly joined ladies? - Not so much…

LostCircuits

Locality
Black Forest
I played bass in a band that supported Fleetwood Mac in Norwich. Green and the guys were lovely - McVie let me use his Marshall rig to avoid moving kit about.

I never cared too much about Stevie Nicks but to her credit, she spawned an entire school of vocalists trying to emulate nasal polyps. :p

Lindsey Buckingham is one of the greatest guitar players I have ever heard, though, I could watch him play for hours and not get tired of his precision and fluidity on the strings and fretboard.

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
I found a fascinating webpage that lists some of the earliest uses of the saxophone in blues recordings. However, note that some of these songs only have the word "blues" in the title and are not all true blues forms.

This one appears to be the earliest ever recorded and alternates between 12-bar blue choruses and 16-bar foxtrot progressions. In a way, that is almost like an early "blues with a bridge" form.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opa9YnEkJWY

Last edited:

playitsmooth

Locality
Camas WA
"Extra string" in this context means "I don't really know anything about Robert Johnson".
"
Did Robert Johnson use 7 strings?

Image result for Robert johnson extra high string

In June 1937 he was again recorded in Dallas, and although he was reported to be playing a seven string, guitar by this time, it wasn't used on the sessions.

AndyB

Locality
Durham, NC, USA
"
Did Robert Johnson use 7 strings?

Image result for Robert johnson extra high string
In June 1937 he was again recorded in Dallas, and although he was reported to be playing a seven string, guitar by this time, it wasn't used on the sessions.
It is said that he lost many of his guitars and the studios would often locate guitars for him to record with. So it is possible that nobody knows what he actually recorded with. Likewise, it is said that he was merely posing with that Gibson L-1 that your picture shows and it did not belong to him.

Last edited:

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
It is said that he lost many of his guitars and the studios would often locate guitars for him to record with. So it is possible that nobody knows what he actually recorded with. Likewise, it is said that he was merely posing with that Gibson L-1 that your picture shows and it did not belong to him.

If you listen to his music or play it, you‘ll notice that everything falls just right on six strings.

Dr G

Locality
Northern California

Just yesterday, I watched an episode of Guy Fieri‘s “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” that featured Mic Fleetwood’s place in Lahaina, Maui. Mic has a rocking food scene and plays regularly in the house band.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom