support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxobones, The ultimate Buskers.

compound

Locality
Manchester.
Hi Folks,
Just been watching on you Tube a couple of sax players, Father and son i think, not sure. They have to be the most competent busker's i've ever heard. If ever there was an incentive to play better this is it. The young lad is awesome with a great tone and technique. They are called Saxobones and there's quite a few videos, check them out you wont be sorry.
Rob http://youtu.be/NpShCmd2uBE

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex (the kid) goes to school with me. He's incredible and he's only 13!

Alex (the kid) goes to school with me. He's incredible and he's only 13!

I grew up in Manchester, and my kids are growing up here (in Germany). It's interesting to compare. We have music schools and a lot of music tuition in the schools as part of the curriculum. UK - pretty little, mostly private.

Alex is clearly very talented, and it's great to see his Dad encouraging/playing with him. We see some kids at the school/music school concerts with a similar level of talent as Alex (incredible, as you say), but not many - probably not even one a year. There are also a lot of kids who're very good and get the chance to learn an instrument or two here, which they probably wouldn't get in the UK.

Please tell Alex we're really impressed. I'd love to see him make a musical career - if that's what he wants to do.

Hi Kev,
Glad you and the other member's enjoyed the video's, as far as Alex making a musical career is concerned he states on one of the video's, he wants to be famous but not very famous. So i would think it's a foregone conclusion that's what he will do. I for one hope so.
Rob.

I grew up in Manchester, and my kids are growing up here (in Germany). It's interesting to compare. We have music schools and a lot of music tuition in the schools as part of the curriculum. UK - pretty little, mostly private.

Alex is clearly very talented, and it's great to see his Dad encouraging/playing with him. We see some kids at the school/music school concerts with a similar level of talent as Alex (incredible, as you say), but not many - probably not even one a year. There are also a lot of kids who're very good and get the chance to learn an instrument or two here, which they probably wouldn't get in the UK.

Please tell Alex we're really impressed. I'd love to see him make a musical career - if that's what he wants to do.

Don't know how old you are, Kev, but it wasn't always so in the UK. I had free clarinet lessons throughout my school days. I know we're not supposed to get political in here but here's a hint: I left school in 1977.

Yep, we did music, started with drums and tambourines and triangles aged 5. Later years we could do piano, brass but NOT guitar. NO thank you. NOT with those type of people wot you get in the so called HIT PARADE.

Don't know how old you are, Kev, but it wasn't always so in the UK. I had free clarinet lessons throughout my school days. I know we're not supposed to get political in here but here's a hint: I left school in 1977.

I did my A levels in '74, left the UK in '82. I remember the govt., can't remember which one, removing funding for music lessons, and the outcry. We didn't have a free music lessons option at our school, but I remember my brother getting tenor horn lessons for a while (until we moved, when he dropped it). It would be great to see more music taught, but I'd see it as the sort of subject that guys should get an intro to, for 2 years at secondary school, with the option of taking it further if wished.

Here there's a compulsory element, and then it's choice, with the option of Music, including tuition all the way through to Uni. Our kid's Gymnasium has at least 6 qualified music teachers (including a sax guy!!!) but doesn't iffer clarinet, so we have to pay for that. Some of the music teachers teach at more than one school in the area, which helps. I was at the year end concerts for both the Gymnasium and the Mädchenrealschüle and the Realschüle recently (grammar school, girls secondary school & high school respectively). The standard was very high. Humbling, in fact. And quite a few of those kids will be heading for conservatory.

Free Education

It's a good idea. I just wish that local parents had more to say about it in this country. When budgets get tight the first thing to be cut is the music program. Only wealthy communities can now have a decent music program. Who knows but some future "Pete Thomas" has been turned away, never to realize his true talent. If it had not been for free public education, I would have never been able to get into the U. S. Airforce Band, nor played the "Vegas Strip" for 40 years.

Back on thread.

Gee that father & son combination is hot stuff, that's the age to really get into Saxophone, and yeah it's in the genes, talented pair, what future that boy has if he works at it! .....(seem like he's already there!)

I think the 50 GBP hat mentioned under the Youtube is on the light side for these two!

Cheers
Jimu

Back
Top Bottom