• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance Sax cases - corrosion on catches

cappers

Senior Member
Messages
1,506
Location
Sussex, UK
Some of the catches and metal work on my Yamaha hard box cases (alto and tenor) have corrosion and rust on them. They were like then when I got them! Not an important issue but I wonder if there is a way to restore them or at least make them look less tatty? Both cases are in vgc otherwise, no funny smells, broken bits or damage. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0266 Small.webp
IMG_0267 Small.webp
IMG_0268 Small.webp
 
Matching Yamaha serial numbers to models and dates is a bit of a minefield. I expected more efficiency from a major Japanese co. so maybe it's deliberate?!

My '98 alto's s/n is 087xxx, the '93-95 tenor 007xxx *

* the tenor s/n is a prime number, which of course makes it sound better 😉 :rofl:
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Run over them with some 0000 steel wool and wax.
I agree. This I do often.

I’ll add to do this outside and be aware the dust from wool rusts and stains quickly. Scrubbing with wool. Then, blow/clean off with compressed air, cold setting on hair dryer or soft brush. Just get the wool dust off.
Then wax. A good quality automotive wax will do. Detail the nooks and crannies with a soft brush or toothbrush.
Yamaha case covering cleans up well with lemon pledge.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Some of the catches and metal work on my Yamaha hard box cases (alto and tenor) have corrosion and rust on them. They were like then when I got them! Not an important issue but I wonder if there is a way to restore them or at least make them look less tatty? Both cases are in vgc otherwise, no funny smells, broken bits or damage. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 32595 View attachment 32596 View attachment 32597
Naval Jelly, hardware store. It may slightly damage the chrome but honestly, what does that matter ? It will get the rust spots diminished significantly. Follow directions.

In my experience, 0000 steel wool won't substantially address this. Too fine. You could try 0 or 00, and it'll do a bit more, but really you wanna attack it significantly, use a chemical like Naval Jelly or the like.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Naval Jelly, hardware store. It may slightly damage the chrome but honestly, what does that matter ? It will get the rust spots diminished significantly. Follow directions.

In my experience, 0000 steel wool won't substantially address this. Too fine. You could try 0 or 00, and it'll do a bit more, but really you wanna attack it significantly, use a chemical like Naval Jelly or the like.
I haven’t used Naval Jelly in years. Good product

0000 wool won’t scratch or cut the upholstery around the hardware. If I go heavier (000,00) or use a brass suede brush. I mask the area off. The blue grade painters tape is durable for this purpose.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Thing is, you have to wash off or neutralize the jelly (phosphoric acid). This seems like it'd not be so easy when mounted on the case, with plush fabric just on the inside, and vinyl exterior covering right next to it.

So I'd use steel wool (whatever grade works) and blow it off and apply wax. Considering it's a purely cosmetic issue, I wouldn't put much time or effort into it.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Phosphoric acid is one more of those solutions that I would just rather not deal with. It's a very strong irritant and, in concentrated form, penetrates skin to seek calcium in bone.

+1 for steel wool and some sealant after you remove the iron dust. I would just use a brass/bronze brush to knock off the crusty stuff, then seal it.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Thing is, you have to wash off or neutralize the jelly (phosphoric acid). This seems like it'd not be so easy when mounted on the case, with plush fabric just on the inside, and vinyl exterior covering right next to it.

So I'd use steel wool (whatever grade works) and blow it off and apply wax. Considering it's a purely cosmetic issue, I wouldn't put much time or effort into it.
Just bottle-spray with soap and water or use a soapy sponge, then dry with a towel. Pretty straightforward. If case is closed it really isn't gonna migrate inside.

It's NOT fun stuff but it works well....
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Phosphoric acid is one more of those solutions that I would just rather not deal with. It's a very strong irritant and, in concentrated form, penetrates skin to seek calcium in bone.
Just looked up MSDS sheet. Now I remember why I quit using the product.
 

Attachments

Vote:
Upvote 0

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,264
Messages
576,163
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom