All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Sakkusu C Melody Identification

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Let's hope so.

After all this build up, you'd better post a full review when you finally get your hands on the beast.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Will do Jon - as a long term Tenor player whos been on Alto for a year, it`ll be interesting -

it`s not a whim this, it`s a need (for the "other" band) and why I was able to sell the Lyons-C this is replacing it as I`m a sax player (not comfortable gigging clarinet regardless of model) - the C-Melody puts an instrument I can play comfortably to gigging level in my hands with a guitar based band used to playing in C . the sale of the Soprano was needed to help finance it too (I`ve not got the disposable income of some here) ..

It may have to end up at Stephen Howard for a service , where it'll likely end up getting a real review - he`s never reviewed a modern (Chinese) C-Melody so may even do it free just to get his hands on one :optimistic:

Great Clip Colin !!

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
a guitar based band used to playing in C

Blimey! Where'd you find one of them? E and A is rather more usual. I've been doing it for so long that I'd probably find playing in C more of an issue than playing in C#.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
it`s a folk band , C & F are used a lot as is G . they play in all sorts of keys where it`s a lot easier to have a non-transposing instrument

Last edited:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Ah, yes! I used to play in a ceilidh sort of band. Did it all on soprano so I got used to playing in D and A a lot. If I'd had a C sop at the time I expect I would have used that.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
The Sharkbite Tenor 6 piece arrived today, gave it a blast on the YTS62. better than expected, rather small scale and smooth compared to the bright & loud PPT 8* Onyxite but a pretty good even sound with a Rico V3 , should be fine on the C-Melody once I`ve got someone to carefully remove 12mm off the end ............

the Lig which came with it is a genuine Selmer france one (no doubt the proper lig for the piece the Sharkbite mimicks, the OEM one probably fell to bits) but it`s in reality a bit big , any suggestions as to what to replace it with ? - the Selmer one is probably worth more than the mouthpiece - LOL

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Well the Sakkusu C-Melody came !! .

Good news is that it`s mint and plays perfectly , better news is that it`s a BRONZE one , must be proper bronze as the pillars are gold laquer but the tube is bronze .. this thing so so much like a Bauhaus Walstein AS-PD it`s unreal very heavy for its size like a Bauhaus AS-PD as well .

nothing is perfect, the Case is utter garbage (Yup that`s rather Walstein too) and being a C-Melody I can`t use my fantasic BAM Alto shell case or my Yamaha Tenor case ............ I`m glad its the case which is trash and not the sax - the Bronze bit was a nice surprise .

Quick Snap

Sak-C.jpg

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Purdy

I looked back through the thread but couldn't work out where you bought it... pawn/Sax.co/flea/Thomann

Ads

Locality
North West UK
It was another popular Pawn shop - 3rd time successful - 1st a while back was an Alto, second very recently was a Tenor - this one is a real C-Melody ! .. I think the sharkbite will be OK but I`m going to try some Alto pieces I have first (the LAWs, Graftonite 5M, Esprit etc) before I go hacking the end off anything .

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
That's pretty. There's some pretty cheap £5 chinese plastic tenor mouthpieces on Ebay that might be worth experimenting on to give you a reference point, before you commit to chopping the shark.

It didn't take you long to update your sig lol

Ads

Locality
North West UK
LOL . thanks Colin , JonF is using a shark just fine and those £5 pieces on E-Bay tend to have something like 3 tips :( .

The shark was secondhand for £25 to the door, it sounds OK on the horn unmodded (well as OK as it can not getting far enough up the cork) so I`m sure it`ll be fine , I will try the Alto pieces first, Scott from Sax.co used one on the demo

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Gave the sax a blast with my LAW LCM alto piece and seems to tune up fine without hanging off the end of the cork - it would seem that Sax.co may have had these made with alto Mpcs in mind .....

sound wise, it`s rather like a Yani 992 as expected (though inbetween an Alto and a tenor of course) , rounded , focussed and refined , doesn`t sound anything like Gus Buescher`s pet Heiffer at all :D

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Looks nice. Hope you enjoy it. Wouldn't mind one myself to complete my set.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
it`s a folk band , C & F are used a lot as is G . they play in all sorts of keys where it`s a lot easier to have a non-transposing instrument

If you want to keep really simple you should buy a C-melody Home Model. Keyed from low C to C3 (C#). Just 12 keys. Perfect to play the melody/sing lines on. But the tone/sound is not what we want today? The C tenor is close to the human voice. Maybe it's why it got the nick name C melody? I don't think any manufactors outside USA called the C-tenor for C-melody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzi8rDZSBDI

Ads

Locality
North West UK
The thing should be called the Contralto which is what it is.

altissimo

Locality
leicester
my old Conn doesn't sound at all vintage when I use a modern high baffle mouthpiece.
Anthony Braxton uses a Brilhart Levelair on his C mel - not sure if it's an alto or tenor piece.
I don't know what Glenn Spearman used on his c mel, pictures aren't detailed enough, but he had a raucous tone.
If the LAW works, go for it

it'd be interesting to compare the modern one you've got with a vintage Conn and see if the body tube is similar - or did they redesign it completely?

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I`ve got 2 LAWs - the LCM and the brighter higher baffle Buzzer , I`ve only tried the LCM but I`m sure the other will work too

the Graftonite A5 works too but I don`t get on with the things even on an Alto due to the relatively steep lay in such a narrow gap piece causing C/B/Bb bottom end issues (octaving with soft reeds or on/off control with hard ones) but the highs are are sweet as a nut ..

I`ve never even clapped eyes on a Conn C-Mel so don`t know how the body tube differs - when you look at the horn, it gives the impression that they grabbed one of their Yani-clone tenors (Guessing the same factory which makes BW here) and scaled It down in size to play in C , damn good job if you ask me. The Microtuner thing is a mystery , the 6M ones I`ve seen were impossibly stiff (probably due to gunge) but this one is positively loose . the thing weighs a ton for its size (like I`d expect a Stephanhauser to for an alto) , it`s about the same weight as a YTS-23 !!

The horn looks like it was bought on a whim , maybe played three or 4 times and stuck back in its case, it even had the plastic bags around the horn, neck etc .

altissimo

Locality
leicester
I've never found the microtuner to be of much use, although the one on my C mel is working fine, I tend to leave it alone.
This is what a Conn looks like - http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=907

I suspect they might've started off with the Conn design and modified and improved it as well as fitting modern keywork

Ads

Locality
North West UK
as you can imagine, the conn in those pics bears no relation to the Sak in terms of layout .. on inspecting , holding and playing the Sak, I still think they started off with a Yani-tenor design and worked out how to make it in C . the Conn (or buescher etc) may have given them a guide regarding body tonehole position etc . I guess the Chinese are more inventive than people give them credit for ..

Who thesedays in total are still making the things - its it just the factories (or factory) which does the Sakkusu and the Aquila ?

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom