support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Rugby 6 Nations, World Cup.........

Although I have very little understanding of the sport of Rugby, I find these discussions a fascinating glimpse into the culture. In Utah the closest thing we have to the sport is soccer which I understand is called "football" in the U.K. We even have a professional team the "Real" (pronounced Re-All), and most, if not all, the secondary schools have both boys and girl's soccer teams.

Although I have very little understanding of the sport of Rugby, I find these discussions a fascinating glimpse into the culture. In Utah the closest thing we have to the sport is soccer which I understand is called "football" in the U.K. We even have a professional team the "Real" (pronounced Re-All), and most, if not all, the secondary schools have both boys and girl's soccer teams.
I would have thought that with the shape of the ball and running holding it then American football would be closer than soccer, (the word is aslo used in the U.K.).
However that is like comparing baseball with cricket because a bat is used.

Soccer is Association football, rugby is rugby football, comes in two flavours, league and union. League is commercial, union was amateur, but is commercial at higher levels. Closest to rugby is your grid iron.

Soccer is Association football, rugby is rugby football, comes in two flavours, league and union. League is commercial, union was amateur, but is commercial at higher levels. Closest to rugby is your grid iron.

Here in NZ, soccer / football is a gentlemens game for hooligans, rugby union is a hooligans game for gentlemen, and rugby league is hooligans game for hooligans...:rofl: and personally I'm all rugbyed and hakaed out...:w00t:

Greg S.

P.S. Rugby union theoretically became professional in the mid 1990s when Rupert Murdoch started the Super Rugby competition...

I agree, some commentators have dubbed the Wales-RSA game a 'kickfest'. I understand why RSA wanted to play that game but not always why Wales were so happy to play it too. Ah well, these days all teams seem to have a specific, strategic 'game plan' to execute depending on the opposition (their playing style, strengths and weaknesses) and their own relative strengths and weaknesses.

Both Wales and RSA kicked a huge amount and it seemed to me as if both teams were just waiting until some opportunity (overlap, handling error, turnover) turned up that they could capitalise on. So most of the match was pretty boring to watch even though the teams were evenly matched. It could have gone either way from 16-16. Great defence from the RSA 'wall' when Wales were hammering away at their tryline. And then within a few minutes RSA got a penalty within kicking distance. All credit to Pollard for slotting that one over!

I hope England can match last weekend's performance next Saturday!

Mike

PS. It still amazes me how much physical punishment these players manage to endure during a game and somehow stay on their feet and keep running/tackling. And then get back into training 2 days later.

But a lot of what I saw wasn't even kicking for territory - just hoofing it upwards and only a few yards forward.

Rhys

I don't live in the UK so I've missed out on the many interviews with Nigel Owens in the UK media. He is of course now a 'public speaker' and though his message stays the same, he tailors it to the audience. I recently watched this 40-minute talk that he gave in Cardiff in 2017. It's long but it's for me the most personal, intimate 'personal story' (the man behind the referee) that I've found so far. It's inspiring to hear that from the darkest places he found a way back to becoming the 'personality' and professional that he is now (on and off the field). I also applaud his efforts to spread the message.

Mike

OTE="David Dorning, post: 410393, member: 3570"]
Yes he is very good, treats the players fairly, clearly explains his decisions to them and won’t stand for any nonsense. Exemplary in that respect, although there was an interesting contrast between the considerable use of technology that (correctly) showed a forward pass by England in a maul, and three obvious forward passes in open play by the All Blacks that went unpenalised. I’m not making a partisan point here and I may be wrong, but that’s how I saw it. Marginally forward passes seem increasingly to be tolerated in modern rugby. We would never have got away with them in my playing days.

OK I’m probably an old fart and out of touch .....or kicked into touch......

But well done England, an amazing performance
[/QUOTE]

Last edited: