support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Rock Sax jams and workshops

Lloyd

Locality
Hertfordshire
I've been playing a couple of years now and go to a woodwind class once a week. It's great for learning and we give a performance couple of months or so but it's not really my music. I have no problem with Mozart or Glenn Miller but what I really want to play is rock, ultimately in a band, just for enjoyment you understand - I ain't gonna get rich doing this. Sadly, my ability doesn't match my enthusiasm so I was wondering if there was anywhere that could help me in my quest. Either teaching or jamming with like minded people. I don't want to travel miles and miles but 30 mins from J20 of M25 would be fine.

Any good

Caffeine, 37 Station Rd, Letchworth, Herts SG6 3BQ 4th Friday of every month, starting around 8.30. A very friendly session; singers & instrumentalists welcome. Contact: Sue : sue@questor-cp.co.uk

mamos

Lloyd,

Try to get together some other saxplayers what also want to play Rocksax. Find a Rocksaxplayer that can demostrate/teach you. Later you can expand with a rhythm section (gtr, key, bass, drm). You can work with diffent themes, styles, songs .... . I have started up a Rocksax Project!! Everybody can join (from pros to beginners). We have one in common: We all love Rocksax!! And we are also having a good time. So it's a social thing as well. If you're intersting maybe Andrew Clark and I can come over to UK for some Rocksaxdays. Andrew is coming to Sweden 18/11-21/11 for gigs and teaching so his schedule is full this time. Next he is here we could fly over to UK. To fly to England it's not that expensive. Let me know if you are intersted. I just want to cover the the cost, so it's non-profit. If you want some help or info let me know. I love "Spreading Rocksax Around". Rock On!

Thomas

If you're intersting maybe Andrew Clark and I can come over to UK for some Rocksaxdays. Andrew is coming to Sweden 18/11-21/11 for gigs and teaching so his schedule is full this time. Next he is here we could fly over to UK. To fly to England it's not that expensive. Let me know if you are intersted. I just want to cover the the cost, so it's non-profit. If you want some help or info let me know. I love "Spreading Rocksax Around". Rock On!

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I would certainly be interested if you organise some Rocksax workshop-type events in England and I'm sure that several others at Cafe Saxophone would be also. I enjoyed Andrew Clark's stuff in Saxophone Journal when I had a subscription and have been jealously looking at your Scandinavian workshops.

I might be able to help find a decent rhythm section or some players individuals who would help out for a bit of cash - experienced semi-pro players who are into various styles of music, especially blues and rock.

Rhys

Lloyd,

Let me know if you are intersted. I just want to cover the the cost, so it's non-profit. If you want some help or info let me know. I love "Spreading Rocksax Around". Rock On!

Thomas

Definitely. It's exactly what I want. Let me know if there are any developments.

Re: above, I got a reply. They actually meet on a Wednesday and are a folk/country outfit so not my thang at all. Seem very nice people though.

I suppose what I'm really looking for is a rock workshop/jam/general knowledge sharing session for players of all levels. I would be happy to arrange something if enough people are interested, maybe once a week or fortnight. I know of a decent venue to practice for around £8 per hour.

Hi Lloyd,
Go for the folk/country thing. It's all good experience. Remember "Rock" has some of it's roots in country music.
Go along, record what they are doing and play along at home. It will be invaluable experience for you when you do meet up with some "Rockies".
You might even get them to do some old 12 bar Bill Haley numbers like "Green Tree Boogie" (12 bar knowhow is what you need ingrained in your mind). You have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

John.

Sadly, I can't make Wednesdays as this is my other rehearsal night. I take your point about Country, even though I REALLY don't like it.

Think I'll start a new thread for anyone interested in meeting up.

+3 I don't think I'd take too much persuading to get there. (Although that does depend on location)

Can't say +4, but when I come over in the summer? there's nothing would keep me away!!

Petulantly - Unless you don't want me there.

John.

I'm going to talk with Andrew Clark about doing a workshop trip England next year. He is coming over to Sweden next weekend. He use to come over twice a year, July/August and November. I keep you posted.

Thomas

A Beginner but like the idea of rock sax and would be worth another old road trip - please keep me imformed.

In the meantime, play along with recordings, and learn to trust your ears.

A Beginner but like the idea of rock sax and would be worth another old road trip - please keep me imformed.

If you like Rocksax and you don't have any books I think you should buy: "Taming the saxophone" Pete Thomas, "Rock & Roll saxophone" John Laughter or "Contemporary Saxophone" John Laughter.

I have some stuff that I perhaps can upload to my Photbucket site. Before I do so I must convert it to mp3s and make a vidoe out of it, so you get the charts as well. It's basic excersises; scales, licks, Rocksax effects..... . Before I use stuff that's not my own, I must ask for permisson.

We use to do Rocksax Masterclass (Andrew Clark) and Bluessax Workout in A & E (Andrew Clark) for the saxplayers who is new to Rocksax. To have a teacher/leader to help you and demostrate setup, tone, growls, overtones, alternative fingerings ..... is of course best. Use to be 8-12 persons in the group and around four hours of teaching. There is also some time for indivual instructions as well.

Thomas

the books are added to the amazon wish list - but will probably have to wait til after xmas - cheers for the advise

Back
Top Bottom