support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Rico M9 Metalite Baritone

I got a Rico M9 Metalite Baritone mouthpiece in the post today. I'm amazed by how it sounds.
My older bari seems to have gone into HD.
Spookily I also got a Metalite MP in post today - tenor. VERY authoritative sound, but high notes hard work at moment - I’ll have to play around with reeds (or improve my embouchure!)

I'm amazed by how it sounds
I've had a (dis)similar experience with Metalite bari and tenor. Despite what I had read, I was amazed at how badly they sound and how difficult to make them play through the range...

Someone somewhere claims to find them OK (not sure I've seen anyone play one in public)

But... they are an inexpensive way to make a change to your sound and to make you wonder where you'd like to go next

But... they are an inexpensive way to make a change to your sound and to make you wonder where you'd like to go next
Interesting comment Ivan.
I’m a newby trying to reach escape velocity from Yam 4C to eventually reach the Berg Larson sitting in the case and rock/blues sound I want. It’s a Big Jump.
I hoped the Metalite would be a cheap step on this ladder, and maybe it is. It’s encouraging that those better than me also have trouble with it through the whole range.

L
I’m a newby trying to reach escape velocity from Yam 4C to eventually reach the Berg Larson sitting in the case and rock/blues sound I want
Well it is a journey (really practice and developing embouchure are key), but, yes, why not explore mouthpiece possibilities and the Rico is an inexpensive step?

Last edited:
I've tried metalite on satb and clarinet. I've sold on all the saxophone mp's. Baritone was great fun. Made my weltklang sound like a chain saw. While it was fun it was of little practical use, soundwise.
Tenor got me restarted as it was easy to play and I was struggling at the time.
Alto was, for me, unplayable but I did go for an M11.
Soprano was also very useful as a starter piece. Easy to blow and educating my embouchure at a reasonable price.
They are something I think every player will benefit from and great fun. They sell on easily, being snapped up on ebay with sometimes a little profit.
My clarinet piece is a keeper. The best mp I've had. Also an M11 it is sweet and polite and a very easy blow. Very clarinety. Who knew?

Talking of Bari MPs... spotted this:

Nowt to do with me by the way!

Interesting comment Ivan.
I’m a newby trying to reach escape velocity from Yam 4C to eventually reach the Berg Larson sitting in the case and rock/blues sound I want. It’s a Big Jump.
I hoped the Metalite would be a cheap step on this ladder, and maybe it is. It’s encouraging that those better than me also have trouble with it through the whole range.
- Refusing to believe that my embouchure is THAT atrocious I’ve had a closer look at this Metalite MP. The suction pop-test was zilch, seal between reed and rails being non existent. Five minutes carefully sanding of rails & tip on flat glass until uniform matt finish and it plays Beautifully!
Get what yer pays for I guess...

Back
Top Bottom