PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Jupiter 500 vs trevor james classic

flukeyluke

Hi people, I'm waiting for my hire saxophone at the moment, a trevor james classic, however my other choice is the Jupiter 500.

Having not played either of these which one would you of gone with and why? The Jupiter sounds a little thin on YouTube videos that I can find and not quite as rounded, but thought I would ask here from people that have actually played it.

So which one of the 2 would you choose for a beginner and why?

Thanks

Luke

The Jupiter sounds a little thin on YouTube videos that I can find and not quite as rounded, but thought I would ask here from people that have actually played it.
I would never go by or compare the “sound” of a horn on YouTube videos. You are hearing mostly the sound of the player and very influenced by the mouthpiece. The only way is to try for yourself, apologies that may not be very useful if you do not have the chance to compare side by side.

I would never go by or compare the “sound” of a horn on YouTube videos. You are hearing mostly the sound of the player and very influenced by the mouthpiece. The only way is to try for yourself, apologies that may not be very useful if you do not have the chance to compare side by side.
No, unfortunately I don't have the chance to try either of them lol I've gone with the trevor james but still have the chance of changing my mind if the Jupiter is much better.

Thanks

Luke

You are hearing mostly the sound of the player and very influenced by the mouthpiece.
...and also the recording equipment.
All the tests I've done in the past show you'd hardly hear any difference between a 5000 and a 500 Euro horn.
I'd rather have a pro play both (or a tech take a look) and buy the better specimen.

I've blown a few TJ's. They're ok.
I've only blown one Jupiter. My current sop. Love it.

Having said that, if you're just starting out, anything will sound awful for a few months.
The difference between saxophones is mostly not to do with sound.
Build quality, ergonomics and condition are more important and noticeable.

For a hire instrument that is already used and probably a few years old. The setup and state of repair is far more important than the choice between two generally well regarded brands.

Two people playing an identical setup can sound completely different. I would caution about paying too much attention to online videos -there are a great many factors that can effect sound quality and I would say personally that the saxophone itself is very low down on the list of things that influence the sound after player, mouthpiece, reed choice etc.

As a learner it's far more important that you get a good grounding on a sax that is in good playing order. As you improve you will develop a sense of what you like or don't like.

There's little to choose between the two, really. Build quality is comparable and they both sound OK. In a side-by-side test the choice would come down to personal preference - and would very likely depend more on the setup of each horn rather than a tonal knockout. Either will be just fine for a beginner.

Please listen to everyone else rather than me, I REALLY don't know a thing. Other than I bought a second hand trevor james and use it with a yamaha 4c mouthpiece, which came with it and I like it. I struggle with low notes but I think that's me not the sax. Other than that it seems OK, the keys are in the right place anyway! It seems responsive, for the want of a better word and i think it sounds nice and 'warm'. As I said please feel free to ignore me.... as we say in these parts. 'Ar noo nowt' ..ie I don't know anything and from what these experts say, its actually more about who's blowing it really than the instrument itself?. Good luck x

I don't know about your first opinion, but do know about the Jupiter 500 series. Had a few accross my bench. The tone wholes are like serrated knives, cutting into the pads.
The pads won't stay leak free for long. In my opinion, they are garbage. Disaster for s sax starter. Give up after a dozen lessons.

On the other hand, the 700 series is in a totally different league. Excellent sax. Well worth the price tag. They are finished very well. To my knowledge, they are made in TIWAN not China. Speaks for itself.

Thanks for replies, there has been a sudden change of plan, I was thinking I would wait for a while before I chose a sax due to a number of things, so cancelled my hire, then today a jericho saxophone came up for sale for a bargain, my brother lent me the money so now I own a jericho again 😀

Thanks again for replies

they are made in TIWAN not China.
Oh how I hope this words still make sense in 10 years from now.
Besides that, there are well-made horns made in China or Vietnam and terrible horns from Taiwan.

If anybody is interested in my 40 years experience as a teacher - if possible I'd always go for a Yamaha for a beginner. Be it a 23, 25, 275, 280. They always outperform everthing else. Not soundwise, but in terms of playability for a novice.
Some weeks ago, I was in a shop with one of my students, a 10 year old boy.
He tried everything, from (good quality) taiwanese horns to YAS 280, 62, and even Selmer SAII and Supreme.
He immediately felt at home with the 280. There was this other horn in the same price range, labeled with the shop's name, made by Green Hill. He didn't really like it and preferred the 280.
I told him to turn around and played some notes on both, asked him which sound he liked more.
Answer was fast and clear - the Green Hill.

I don't know about your first opinion, but do know about the Jupiter 500 series. Had a few accross my bench. The tone wholes are like serrated knives, cutting into the pads.
The pads won't stay leak free for long. In my opinion, they are garbage. Disaster for s sax starter. Give up after a dozen lessons.

On the other hand, the 700 series is in a totally different league. Excellent sax. Well worth the price tag. They are finished very well. To my knowledge, they are made in TIWAN not China. Speaks for itself.
The 500 series used to be pretty dismal, but the recent ones aren't too bad at the price. The 700 series has always been the better choice though.

Thanks for replies, there has been a sudden change of plan, I was thinking I would wait for a while before I chose a sax due to a number of things, so cancelled my hire, then today a jericho saxophone came up for sale for a bargain, my brother lent me the money so now I own a jericho again 😀

Thanks again for replies
An excellent budget horn. Sorted.

Hello, just another opinion for what its worth. I have had a few different brands and models, I have a Trevor James The Horn and it plays easily, feels very similar in the hands to a Yamaha. I can certainly recommend it as a beginner horn as with a good mouthpiece it will I'm pretty sure play and sound good. As for Jupiters I have a soprano and had a baritone (never an alto) and find/ found some of the key positions a bit more awkward - could be they are just different to a Yamaha I' used to though. Sound is good with the right mouthpieces. My conclusion is that as long as the instruments are in good condition and serviced either will serve you well.

Back
Top Bottom