support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Returning to Sax

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
Hello Cafe Members!

I used to be quite active on this forum in it's previous incarnation (maybe some of you will remember me?) I put down the saxophone and music in general for a few years for a number of reasons. I went traveling and moved around a lot but I'd also become quite disenchanted with where I was as a musician. I'm back now though, feeling fresh and ready to give it another go!

I was taught theory and technique on the flute from a young age and was pushed to do the graded syllabus as soon as possible (read: private school) but it wasn't until I was older and had picked up some other instruments and started playing music that I loved (mainly rock and then jazz with the sax) that I realised I wasn't actually "musical". I had an awful ear and therefore no means to express myself properly.

I tried to ignore what I'd learnt and focus on the aural side of music (the most important part!) but I struggled to do so in a competitive environment where it was more about what you could get your fingers around than how good you sounded or played something.
I think a good break has done me a whole world of good. I haven't played properly for 4 years or so (doesn't time fly!) but you can't just ignore music. I've been working on my singing and aural skills here and there and feel like I'm a much better musician now than I've ever been. Over the last couple months I've picked up my guitar again, the keyboard is coming out for my new room in a couple weeks and it's time to get the sax back out!

I want to go back to fundamentals and really work on tone, articulation and intonation. Forget about the theory and just focus on having fun and enjoying the experience of playing again. I'm actually really looking forward to playing those boring long tones :p
Anyway that's probably more than enough for now, look forward to seeing what everyone else is up to!

Hello Linky!!
What a blast from the past. Absolutely great to see you again as you were helpful to me in my quest to find the sax again.
All we need now is Jools, PaulyT, BobbyG etc and we're off. Still got the prototype Walstein TS-P I see.

Welcome back mate.

Andy

Hey Linky, great to hear from you! Remember I bought that Prelude tenor from you? That was when I discovered how much I love the tenor! I've upgraded it since then and now play tenor in a community band.
Weren't you studying German? I've often wondered how you were doing....
Glad you're back!

Welcome back to the caff©, Linky Lee.

Looking forward to renewing our fake teenager versus ancient battle but you're no longer a teenager although I'm still ancient. :crying:Now it is all about enjoying music.

ENJOY!​™

Hi Linky Lee, welcome back :)

Welcome back to the Café® Lee.:thumb:

Chris..

Hello again Linky. :) she said playing in her best Lee Konitz style (or not) - I Remember You

Blimey Linky, great to see you back, and thank goodness you didn't, in your period of disenchantment, sell off your instruments.

Looking forward to seeing around here again, you were a great support to me when I was starting out.

Best wishes,

Chris

Wow, didn't expect so many people to still be around and remember, hello to you all again!

Andrew, yep I still have all the old instruments. I came very close to selling a couple off when money was tight but knew I'd regret it and always found another way :)

Pauline, I do indeed remember! really glad you enjoyed it what have you upgraded to now?
I studied business combined with German so spent a few years over there and worked over there for a while too.

Gruss dich Kev!

Hi Old Git, you can't even pick on me for being a student no more either, I pay my taxes now and have almost cleared my student loan. We can still pretend if you'd like oh ancient one :)

Thanks Rudjarl, Chris, Sue and Jeanette!

Chris98, glad I helped! Looking forward to seeing how everyone has progressed while I've been away!

I'm far too new to remember you but welcome back to the cafe. Look forward to hearing your new tone!

Like above i don't remember you, but you sem to have a lot to offer so welcome back to the cafe :thumb:

Lee, I bought a Selmer SA80 series II and love it.

The prelude had a lovely sound but it was painful after a while to get my small hand around the left hand palm keys.
However, the first time I played it I knew the tenor was for me!

Pauline, I'm really glad you took to it so well! The prelude was a nice instrument for the money but certainly not as refined as your Selmer now, are you solely a tenor now then?

Welcome back Linky,

I considered you pretty musical and going places, you were asking all the right questions on the forum.
Speaking for myself now re disenchantment... I've been playing over 25years now and go through periods of frustration, with my lack of progress, but to enjoy playing the sax and making music at whatever level is the main if not only thing we should be concentrating on...so to hear you say you were disenchanted and unmusical (which is poppycock IMHO)...is music to my ears!
Welcome back.

Well thank you for the very kind words!

I think it can be hard for a young person in particular to keep the bigger picture in mind but you're right it all comes down to enjoying what you're doing at the end of the day no matter who you are or what you're doing. I'd like to think I've learnt a lot and matured over the past few years with my time off, I'm certainly enjoying and appreciating my music a lot more now for what it is.

I can identify clearly....I'm constantly going through on and off phases. However, it never bothered me. I accept them because apparently that's my process. One thing I do fully understand is that I respect it. Each and every time I pick up my horn my thinking is refreshed. Naturally, it's not the best way to incrementally improve, but apparently it's my way.

Sincere wishes on a fruitful return to the saxophone....

Hey Linky, welcome back. I remember you well, I'm sure we had some deep discussions and I think you were fairly instrumental in my taking up busking. Something that I have thoroughly enjoyed.
As for you being "non musical" I'm sure I remember hearing some sound clips of yours and thinking what a nice tone you had, and how smoothly you found your way around the sax!
Good to have your opinion back on the forum!

Back
Top Bottom