Tutorials

Reeds Reed and Mouthpiece disinfectant

Phil

Commercial Café Supporter
i also don't understand.
You are not going to catch a virus from yourself.

Dont have others play your setup, keep it at a distance from others who might be hacking. Otherwise its not the black plague.

This is, however, a good time to break the filthy habits many woodwind players practice. Keep things clean but dont make yourself crazy.. just my opinion.

CliveMA

i also don't understand.
You are not going to catch a virus from yourself.

Dont have others play your setup, keep it at a distance from others who might be hacking. Otherwise its not the black plague.

This is, however, a good time to break the filthy habits many woodwind players practice. Keep things clean but dont make yourself crazy.. just my opinion.
On the contrary, you can catch the virus from yourself! The virus enters your system through your facial openings: eyes, nose, mouth. Don't touch your face. Wash your hands after being anywhere in public and before you touch your face. Wash your hands after going to the toilet because all viruses safe in your nether region are not safe on your face.

Also, coronavirus symptoms are dose-dependent. If you reinfect yourself from infected sax equipment daily you add to the viral load, making your symptoms worse. As elderly demographic has consistently shown a 1 in 6 death rate with coronavirus, it must not be taken flippantly as "just a bad flu". All of us must act to help protect the elderly we come in contact with.

Saxodent

image.jpeg

£5 for 100 70% isopropyl alcohol disposable small wipes .Keep a few in your case.

Last edited:

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Whilst rummaging through the garage this afternoon, I stumbled across my bottle of Star San, which is a food grade contact sanitiser (I used to brew my own beer before my own beer became so moorish I had to stop brewing my own beer before my home brew beer gut got to out of control ;))
I had a thought about it being suitable for spray sanitising my mouthpiece and inside the horn. Now, I've no intention of doing this, so no requirement for a 'STOP, DO NOT DO THAT!', I've got a feeling it might be a bit dodgy to spray on lacquered brass, but might be suitable for a hard rubber mouthpiece?

Any thoughts from the Chemists or techies in the audience?

EDIT: Actually, just spotted it's not suitable for soft metals, so a no go for body. Maybe for Rubber mouthpiece?

Saxodent

Isopropyl Alcohol 70% and dilute hypochlorite (Milton's)
Some solvents will dissolve rubber ebonite mouthpieces

Saxodent

Do not use Corsodyl.
it is not designed for that purpose and there is also a risk of allergic reactions.

s.mundi

Due to the apocalypse, I must be ultra-frugal. The old unusable molded reeds were cleaned with sodium hypochlorite, trimmed, and given a full blessing.
Those garage reeds are my new gold mine.

converse

Well yes, but wouldn't that apply to Listerine, Hydrogen Peroxide, Isopropyl Alcohol, Sodium Hyperchlorite etc?

Saxodent

No Corsodyl is Chlorhexidine Gluconate and designed for Periodontal Gum Infections and has shown to have allergic reactions in some people and the last place you want that is in the mouth and throat.
This is not the case with Sodium Hypochlorite,Peroxide or Isopropyl Alcohol.

Saxodent

Listerine is (originally a Carbolic Acid Spray for surgery) that was then made into a dental 25-27 % alcohol solution with some other flavourings.
It has enough alcohol to cause a breath test failure .
but NOT enough for killing bacteria >40% and more importantly viruses including Covid 19.
The company also invented the word Halitosis.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
The company also invented the word Halitosis.
No they didn't.
Contrary to the popular belief that Listerine coined the term halitosis, its origins date to before the product's existence, being coined by physician Joseph William Howe in his 1874 book The Breath, and the Diseases Which Give It a Fetid Odor.

Saxodent

No they didn't.
Contrary to the popular belief that Listerine coined the term halitosis, its origins date to before the product's existence, being coined by physician Joseph William Howe in his 1874 book The Breath, and the Diseases Which Give It a Fetid Odor.
The true part of this story is that in 1921, the term “halitosis” was coined by George Lambert, the son of Listerine founder Jordan Wheat Lambert. He took the Latin word for breath, “halitus” and combined it with the medical ending “osis” to get a medical-sounding term for bad breath.
Take it up with Listerine

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
No Corsodyl is Chlorhexidine Gluconate and designed for Periodontal Gum Infections and has shown to have allergic reactions in some people and the last place you want that is in the mouth and throat.
This is not the case with Sodium Hypochlorite,Peroxide or Isopropyl Alcohol.
Corsodyl also discolours teeth.

SaxyNikki

I use hydrogen peroxide which was readily available in most chemists (UK)...but now, I'm not so sure.

Worth a look, and it's cheaper than Listerine or vodka!
I’ve got 8 unopened bottles so it’s what I’m using. It was recommended in an article I read.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
The true part of this story is that in 1921, the term “halitosis” was coined by George Lambert, the son of Listerine founder Jordan Wheat Lambert. He took the Latin word for breath, “halitus” and combined it with the medical ending “osis” to get a medical-sounding term for bad breath.
Take it up with Listerine
'The true part' is that apparently you like to believe the marketing department of a manufacturer trying to sell a product whereas I believe the dictionaries such as Collin's, Merriam-Webster and The Oxford Learners.
I'd follow the maxim of Laugh In and say look it up in your Funk and Wagnall but it's not in their online version.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom