support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reed adventure

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
I am going to order reeds today. Usually its Rico, plasticised or orange, 3s. But after 4 years of using these reeds I thought I would try something different. I would usually go for the packaging or the name in the absence of any knowledge, but any suggestions? I don't mind making a mistake, you may even see the rest of the box on yardsale, but I just fancy trying something new.

The only other reeds I have used much are Vandoren, V16 which I don't like much, or the regular one in the blue pack, nothing much wrong with it, like the Ricos. Local music shop stocks Vandoren and sometimes I have to buy there.

I am mostly pop, rock, and bluesy stuff, nothing too clever. Have mostly been for mellow but am changing to a bit more of a strident sound.

Come on, give us a clue.
Cheers
Mike

Give us a clue on the mouthpiece...

I like Rico jazz select. Marca jazz also.

Rico orange are american cut and the vandoren classic blue are french filed. If you like one you probably won't like the other. I like the french filed and stick to Vandoren classic blue or Rico royale.

You might like Rico Jazz Select 3m.
They come "unfiled" in a greenish box or "filed" in a pinkish box. I use unfiled, because that pink on the filed box is unwatchable. I am not sure there is a huge difference in sound.

If you want to impress, use Leuthner "Jazz" or "Vienna". They will make you look like a real connoisseur. Also I have been using a Vienna since mid June. I have been on holiday two weeks, but I played it really hard the rest of the time. It is my best score ever, but it might be a fortunate coincidence.

I will check these out. Really I use Rico orange cos they are so cheap. Its the plasticised I have always like the tone of. But now my mpc of choice is jumbo java and its a lot more screamy that my otto link.

The Plasticover is a Rico Royal coated in plastic. I use the Royals all the time. You could try Vandoren Jazz as well.

Jim.

Vandoren Java, unfiled, green box. Flirted with most of the competition by now but I just keep coming home to these.

I am going to order reeds today. Usually its Rico, plasticised or orange, 3s. But after 4 years of using these reeds I thought I would try something different. I would usually go for the packaging or the name in the absence of any knowledge, but any suggestions? I don't mind making a mistake, you may even see the rest of the box on yardsale, but I just fancy trying something new.

The only other reeds I have used much are Vandoren, V16 which I don't like much, or the regular one in the blue pack, nothing much wrong with it, like the Ricos. Local music shop stocks Vandoren and sometimes I have to buy there.

I am mostly pop, rock, and bluesy stuff, nothing too clever. Have mostly been for mellow but am changing to a bit more of a strident sound.

Come on, give us a clue.
Cheers
Mike
if you in the mood to try something different - go all the way and try Forestone synthetic reeds. i did recently, and found them surprisingly excellent

Justin beat me to it Vandoren Jazz

I'm back on LaVoz after playing plasticcovers and Vandoren V16. Zonda is very good reed. But I decided to use reeds that I can buy here in Sweden.

Checking out the colours of the boxes and the rico jazz pink box is stunning. Aldevis, you are a conservative chap. May get some of these. Went off synthetic when my Hartman alto (think that's what it is called) sliced my top lip open like a reminder of Staines town hall on a Friday night in 1969. Vandoren mpc I love, reeds, maybe? Also, La Voz, haven't got a clue but will check out the packaging and see.

Ghastly time just now, have to go the beach again this morning then doze all afternoon till music time tonight. Roll on retirement, though I don't suppose it will seem the same in Durham.

Thanks all
Mike

Best retro-looking packaging comes with Alexander NY. It is a beautiful metal tin.
Reeds-direct should have shortly the 5 reeds box.
I found my last boxes of Lavoz (tenor) quite inconsistent. Decent greenish box.
On alto I often play Hemke: nice basic silver box.

Aldevis, you should take that up with your D'addario friend. They make them..

Best retro-looking packaging comes with Alexander NY. It is a beautiful metal tin.
Reeds-direct should have shortly the 5 reeds box.
I found my last boxes of Lavoz (tenor) quite inconsistent. Decent greenish box.
On alto I often play Hemke: nice basic silver box.

Should we have a separate to discuss @aldevis taste in reed boxes;)

Jx

Thing is, Thomas is a rocker, so you have to listen to the la voz tip. Was also drawn to the Alexander packaging after seeing them at reeds direct. Cant get online to them right now, was about to check them all out again. Some server problem. Probably my new sat fed 6 midge (love it, jargon I got from the installer) broadband supply which in Spain you must pay for then divide the stated capacity by 2 or 4 depending on the date. Packaging must be a pretty big deal for reeds and such, bit like ciggies I suppose. Though I don't think even the Hartman reed was going to kill me.

Ok have ordered some la voz. Not a bad price for ten. Posted to Spain with a little 4 reed holder its 38 quid. I think the reeds were about 27 for 10 plus postage. I ordered MS which should come up a little softer than the 3s in plasticised. Shame about the packaging, but hey, there will be a next time. The Alexanders are too dear to take a punt on. When the box of 5 is there I will definitely give them a go, as will the Rico jazz pinkies.
Thanks all

Ok have ordered some la voz. Not a bad price for ten. Posted to Spain with a little 4 reed holder its 38 quid. I think the reeds were about 27 for 10 plus postage. I ordered MS which should come up a little softer than the 3s in plasticised. Shame about the packaging, but hey, there will be a next time. The Alexanders are too dear to take a punt on. When the box of 5 is there I will definitely give them a go, as will the Rico jazz pinkies.
Thanks all

Have fun, Howarths sell reeds individually if you want to try odd ones, risky I know as you could get a bad one but fun to try

Jx

but no cool packages...

Might I suggest trying Vandoren's new pack that includes one of each of their jazz reeds, all the same strength. To be sure, every reed in a box differs, but it may help as you explore the multitude of options out there. I don't know how much those packs cost, but they're definitely cheaper than a box. If you like Rico, I've heard great things about Jazz Select. Personally, I think Vandoren reeds are a better quality cane; for some reason, Rico always feels a bit dry, as if the process those reeds go through leaves them even too dry for storage, and for me always lacks a solid core sound. But go with what you like. Good luck! Just be careful of getting into a gear war with yourself. Nothing is perfect in this world, and that extends to music equipment from the reeds up on to the sax itself. It's a negotiation, finding something that does as much as for you as possible while allowing your skills to make the rest happen.