SYOS

Red Kites, Other Birds & Wildlife in General

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
I'm glad that the swallows' nest of chicks is still fine :)
I haven't seen any nests in my garden for years. One year a pair of swifts built one under the window.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I'm glad that the swallows' nest of chicks is still fine :)
I haven't seen any nests in my garden for years. One year a pair of swifts built one under the window.
Swallows seem to like it here and house martins make their nests under the eves. The previous year's house martin nests are occupied by feisty resident sparrows before the martins have migrated back so the poor sods rotate their nests around the house, usually building new ones where the poorly maintained former sparrow squats have crumbled off the wall

My only sighting of a swift was about ten years ago when one dropped into the garden and couldn't take off again (it may have glanced against the house, lost lift and dropped with a plop almost to my feet)

I had read that swifts only alight to nest so I thought it might need a hand taking off again. The bird looked to be uninjured.

I didn't know what constituted a good launch height but with nothing to lose I cupped the bird in hand and then threw it up and forward. The little thing flicked out it's wings and flew off, literally into the sunset

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
The female is sometimes around as well, several years ago when I was using a film camera I got a few pictures of one that killed and ate a pigeon on the lawn. Unfortunately the last frame 'dragged' in the camera so it was blurred because it showed the hawk with her head at full stretch pulling out a length of gut.

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
The female is sometimes around as well, several years ago when I was using a film camera I got a few pictures of one that killed and ate a pigeon on the lawn. Unfortunately the last frame 'dragged' in the camera so it was blurred because it showed the hawk with her head at full stretch pulling out a length of gut.
Mmmmmm...... That reminds me of when we were house hunting several years ago. We drove to an area which is densely populated by council flats and shabby old bungalows. As we were driving around in circles looking for the house we'd arranged to see, we got lost and parked up for five minutes. During that time we were surrounded by a flock of crows and and a couple were fighting over and tearing at something's corpse. I burst out laughing because I thought this can't get any worse. It was like a scene from The Omen. My ex didn't share my sense of humour and had a tantrum at the wheel before speeding off :rofl:

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Could have been like 'The Birds' you should have thought of an excuse for him to get out of the car.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Walking the dog in the park last night I saw 6 ducklings and for some reason it made me think of this thread.

We also seem to have a few herons in the area. My local waterside walk in the valley is slowly drying out so less mud to wade through

Jx

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Away on the coast near Glenelg in Ring of Bright Water territory, at Easter: two otters playing in the water

First time we've seen otters in ten annual visits. Delightful

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
This thread reminded me of how much wildlife I see and tend to take for granted. A 3km paddle on the Petite River yielded 3 osprey, three otters and half a dozen mallard. The tally for this week includes deer, porcupine, chipmonks, red squirrels, owls and loons.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
No they were swimming, he doesn't like to be out of his depth!

He has been known to chase geese into the water though

Jx
Our Jack Russel used to bait the geese until a gander grabbed and pinned her down by the scruff of her neck

Cue whimpering and a lesson learned

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Our Jack Russel used to bait the geese until a gander grabbed and pinned her down by the scruff of her neck

Cue whimpering and a lesson learned
We've got a border collie so stands his ground better, he's just playing herding games :)

Jx

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom