support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recovering from operation

I had been suffering abdominal pains lasting for an hour or so for a couple of months so decided to see the Doc on my day off on Tuesday .She told me it was a strangulated umbilical Hernia and that I needed an operation straight way and booked me into hospital and 5 hours later I was under the knife.I am now home and recovering .I have been told not to drive for approx 10 days (untill I can look behind and do emergency stop)and 2 weeks to a month of work
I do not know when to start back on the sax or even to stop the Tenor altogether and play just Alto.has anyone experienced this op and can advise??

Bad luck mate, hope the recovery is smooth.

No experience of such things myself but I asked my lady wife, who's a nurse. Her advice was not to play the sax, but at your first follow-up appointment to explain to the doc that you want to get back to the sax. The Mrs F was particularly thinking about the diaphragmatic breathing we use to play the sax - could put strain on the sutures.

The good news is the op itself is straightforward and should give a permanent fix with a 100% recovery.

Good luck with your recovery

JonF

Sorry to hear your having a hard time Del, I hope recovery comes swiftly!;}
I would have thought that after time and probably some physio, you should be right back to playing the tenor and the alto. If your playing is better than it was, can I have the name of your surgeon?:)))

Best wishes for a quick recovery
I know how you feel about not playing and free time, I can't due to the head and cheeks I injured, No stressing the muscles/skin so will be the same with you

Get well soon

Speedy recovery matey, I can't imagine that tenor would be different from alto, if anything drop the alto, but I would suck it and see. You'll know if you can play or not as it'll probably hurt.:confused:

Hope you get over it quickly Del. PeeDee had an ordinary (!) hernia op a few months ago so perhaps he will exchange notes with you.
Colin

Hi
As YC says, I had an operation for a hernia, but it was a linguinal hernia, which is low down, and it wasn't strangulated, which is more serious, as poison can be released into the blood, hence your emergency operation.
Whether or not there is any link with sax playing I don't know. I did mention to my doc that I play sax, and he didn't say anything about it being contributory to causing a hernia. Although, if you think about it, blowing is like coughing in slow motion, and coughing certainly does reveal, and irritate a hernia. I believe Luluna did mention the fact she had a Hiatus hernia from twenty years of sax playing, maybe she can confirm, but she seems to be away at the moment. Might be worth researching on the internet, it would be of interest to us all!!

PeeDee is right - I did suffer from a Hiatus Hernia - but also an abdominal one.
Proceed with caution and keep your doctors informed. If he is not a musician - bring along your sax and let him evaluate the stress.

You don't want to rush it and have a "do-over".

interesting link about this topic:

http://www.daveandersonjazz.com/music_healing.html

if you Google "hernia from playing the sax" there are about 4000 results.... some links for a hernia strap and lots comments from herniated saxophonists...I never dreamed playing a musical instrument was so dangerous;}

Wishing you a speedy, pain-free recovery...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been suffering abdominal pains lasting for an hour or so for a couple of months so decided to see the Doc on my day off on Tuesday .She told me it was a strangulated umbilical Hernia and that I needed an operation straight way and booked me into hospital and 5 hours later I was under the knife.I am now home and recovering .I have been told not to drive for approx 10 days (untill I can look behind and do emergency stop)and 2 weeks to a month of work
I do not know when to start back on the sax or even to stop the Tenor altogether and play just Alto.has anyone experienced this op and can advise??

I had an umbilical hernia repaired two years ago under local anaesthetic (interesting, talking to the surgeon about the previous nights TV with ones guts open to the world), went back to the tenor sax after five days with no problems. So long as you don't feel tension in the wound you should be alright to do all sax things within a week.

Of course you will be well over it by now as I've just noticed the date of your post.

Hope all has gone well.

Martin

Thanks for all your kind replies.It is almost 2 weeks since operation and I am feeling a lot better although the wound still bleeds a tiny bit every time I change the dressing.I have not tried the sax yet as my biggest worry is I get light headed very easily and actually fainted for the first time ever in hospital which was weird so I am gonna give it a few more days and then try(also the tenor hangs just where the incision was made and I dont want it banging or rubbing.)
I have spent the weekend in Exmouth and had all my family around so feel a lot better in myself as I was starting to feel sorry for myself a bit.